Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Issues with external HDD
06-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Issues with external HDD
I was having device recognition and data loss issues with my external 1.5T HDD (which is USB3 capable), with the HDD making several short noisy clicks, which I originally suspected were related with low/unsufficient power being supplied by OHC to the disk.

I then invested on a powered USB hub, for the HDD to get power from a different source, having only the data connection back to OHC.

To my surprise, even with the new connection HDD->USB HUB->OHC the issues are still there. I know the Hub is working, as if I connect HDD to USB HUB only, the HDD is properly powered and stays idle with no clicking. I also tested it with different HDDs I have (different brands and sizes) they all show the same behavior)

I have a NUC, and OPPO BD player and a MINIX 8H and the OHC. The problem only appears with OHC.

Is anybody else also having this problem ?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2015, 09:28 AM
RE: Issues with external HDD
I didn't face that issue, but I faced some issues with external HDD (WD 2.5 USB3) and Pendrives probably because of the type of data format, in this case NTFS.

The experience was losing information on the drives. I go to the desktop copy the data I want to the drive, I remove it properly and connect it on OHC, and when I browse the disk the new data isn't there. I need to go back to the desktop and to a checkdisk or recopy the files again. This already happened 3 or 4 times.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Brain_Killer for this post
06-12-2015, 12:22 PM
(06-12-2015 09:28 AM)Brain_Killer Wrote:  I didn't face that issue, but I faced some issues with external HDD (WD 2.5 USB3) and Pendrives probably because of the type of data format, in this case NTFS.

The experience was losing information on the drives. I go to the desktop copy the data I want to the drive, I remove it properly and connect it on OHC, and when I browse the disk the new data isn't there. I need to go back to the desktop and to a checkdisk or recopy the files again. This already happened 3 or 4 times.

Thanks for replying - Mine is also formatted as NTFS. I wonder if it makes a difference to use something else.
06-12-2015, 12:33 PM
On the time that I detected this, I created a new post asking if someone else was facing the same thing, and no one was or not replied.
06-12-2015, 12:42 PM
(06-12-2015 12:33 PM)Brain_Killer Wrote:  On the time that I detected this, I created a new post asking if someone else was facing the same thing, and no one was or not replied.

I must have missed your post, but it looks like just you and me are having this issue then.
06-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Try using a different app with NTFS HDD's. Think I tried a few early on and found a Paragon APP.

Alternatively use EXT (EXT3) which is Android native filesystem. If you use Windows to load content its not ideal as you have to use EXT2FSD on your Windows PC's and set it up correctly to be able to access and write to EXT HDD's. It does work though.

If you have steps to replicate using a small USB stick that's NTFS formatted you can always submit a support ticket to CM via their site as there are a couple of you and you've taken power outside of the unit so can rule that out.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
06-13-2015, 06:26 PM
(06-13-2015 02:39 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Try using a different app with NTFS HDD's. Think I tried a few early on and found a Paragon APP.

Alternatively use EXT (EXT3) which is Android native filesystem. If you use Windows to load content its not ideal as you have to use EXT2FSD on your Windows PC's and set it up correctly to be able to access and write to EXT HDD's. It does work though.

If you have steps to replicate using a small USB stick that's NTFS formatted you can always submit a support ticket to CM via their site as there are a couple of you and you've taken power outside of the unit so can rule that out.

Thanks for the suggestion !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Remote learning issues & reboot command? monza 7 3,939 01-08-2015 01:48 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf