Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Samba to Asus RT USB file sharing
05-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Samba to Asus RT USB file sharing
Hi,

I jus got my OHC and are pleased with the most of it. The problem i have is that I can mount a share on my routers (Asus RT-AC87) usb disk, but kan not browse folders, get the error message that the file is unreadable. I tried to connect to a windows share and that works fine, but the reason for buying the oac was to not needing to have the computer running 24/7. Any one else stumbling over this a got it working?

Thanks in advance.
/Linus
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2015, 09:38 AM
RE: Samba to Asus RT USB file sharing
Using a ASUS RT-AC66U with Merlin firmware and a USB HDD myself. In fact its where my daily downloads get downloaded and played from.

Make sure that you have setup permissions on the router USB correctly. I did have a problem with an earlier firmware where shares with spaces etc. were having problems, that's fixed in recent releases though.
05-27-2015, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2015 11:54 AM by linus66.)
(05-26-2015 09:38 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Using a ASUS RT-AC66U with Merlin firmware and a USB HDD myself. In fact its where my daily downloads get downloaded and played from.

Make sure that you have setup permissions on the router USB correctly. I did have a problem with an earlier firmware where shares with spaces etc. were having problems, that's fixed in recent releases though.

Thanks for your reply. I use the standard firmware for the router and I'm sure it's not user right related. Any other suggestion?
Br
Linus

Btw its USB 3. Can that cause an issue?
05-27-2015, 07:43 PM
No as the router simply shares the data. You can never be sure its not user related as we are human and make mistakes.

Try using esfilexplorer to connect making sure that you edit the properties to add the user/pword to access the share that you created the shared folder with on the router. My usb hdd is a seagate one.

You'll need to give more details for anything more specific.
05-27-2015, 10:08 PM
(05-27-2015 07:43 PM)chris57 Wrote:  No as the router simply shares the data. You can never be sure its not user related as we are human and make mistakes.

Try using esfilexplorer to connect making sure that you edit the properties to add the user/pword to access the share that you created the shared folder with on the router. My usb hdd is a seagate one.

You'll need to give more details for anything more specific.

Thanks again for your answer. I turned on guest logon on the router and tested to conect with esfileexplorer and that's works fine, but still no luck with the native explorer or with the native video application, so Im more and more sure that its something not related to user rights, even if im a human (like) :-)
Br
Linus
05-28-2015, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2016 03:58 AM by chris57.)
Right you are using a Guest account, i'm not i'm using an account setup in the router USB apps smb server called ohc with a simple password. I also use the inbuilt SMB client in SPMC to access the share with the same details.

Test to see if when you use login details it works.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Samba file sharing app that allows sharing of USB HDD that is NTFS formatted. chris57 8 4,529 05-26-2016 05:16 PM
Last Post: pipor
  ftp server o samba server pipor 3 917 05-25-2016 10:55 PM
Last Post: chris57