Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Plex
10-13-2014, 12:23 AM
RE: Plex
Yeah I used plex for a little while, and it was a horrible experience.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Plex is not meant as primary player software on a set top box that was build specifically for playing media (you rather use the player that came with the box, utilizing the hardware capabilities - speed and quality).
Plex is used for distribution of media to third party devices such as TVs (bedroom), tables, smart phones, etc. And there it does transcoding as required in order to make the media playable on the client device. And it does its job perfectly.

What's the purpose of plex on a set top box that will access the same media via direct access (NAS, server shares etc.)? None.

Do not compare potatoes with apples.
Plex is wonderful if you know why you use it and where.
Find all posts by this user
10-13-2014, 04:31 PM
@produde:
+1Wink
10-13-2014, 05:04 PM
(10-13-2014 01:18 PM)produde Wrote:  Hi,

Plex is not meant as primary player software on a set top box that was build specifically for playing media (you rather use the player that came with the box, utilizing the hardware capabilities - speed and quality).
Plex is used for distribution of media to third party devices such as TVs (bedroom), tables, smart phones, etc. And there it does transcoding as required in order to make the media playable on the client device. And it does its job perfectly.

What's the purpose of plex on a set top box that will access the same media via direct access (NAS, server shares etc.)? None.

Do not compare potatoes with apples.
Plex is wonderful if you know why you use it and where.

I know that, and I said that Plex sucks completely on that part.
As I said before, it works poorly on my PS3 (DLNA), and their Surface App completely sucks - the movies and series are always stuttering even with a low bitrate, and my Surface CPU is being used almost at 100%. And the irony is, if I play the files directly, using Cyberlink Power Media Player, my Surface breezes through, the CPU usage is 40% AT MOST, and the Surface is doing the transcoding all by itself.

And for the part that is bold, that's why I asked the OP why does he use Plex on a A-410.

Regards.
10-16-2014, 01:49 PM
The point of a PLEX client on a set top box is to allow use the PLEX touch UI on a phone/tablet to fling media from your PLEX server(s) to the set-top box.
10-17-2014, 11:12 PM
The reason I use Plex on the NMT is because it gives me a jukebox experience, like one can obtain with the NMJv2, but better. I have media all over my house (4 main libraries) as it has grown organically, and Plex organises all of it and makes it available to every media player I have, or add. Which is why my A410 was fully up and running in minutes when i got it, with no need to do any new scans of the library. I use the 410 because it has the best picture and sound quality, and Plex delivers this (including full BD rips with HD audio) with the least fuss. I don't use Plex DLNA, because DLNA is pretty poor in any implementation as far as I know.

It really isn't rocket science.
10-18-2014, 01:55 AM
I agree with you. Plex can deal with Avatar BD50 Extended 1080p w/ HD audio full MKV rip 30+ mbps w/o issue. The UI is a lot faster than NMJ (any version) and if you watch TV shows it gives you the next episode automatically. Playlists make it even better. The 5 Sony GoogleTV Boxes, LG Google TV, ASUS Transformer Tablet all work flawlessly (ASUS only when in good range of the Wifi base Wink )

(10-17-2014 11:12 PM)darucla Wrote:  The reason I use Plex on the NMT is because it gives me a jukebox experience, like one can obtain with the NMJv2, but better. I have media all over my house (4 main libraries) as it has grown organically, and Plex organises all of it and makes it available to every media player I have, or add. Which is why my A410 was fully up and running in minutes when i got it, with no need to do any new scans of the library. I use the 410 because it has the best picture and sound quality, and Plex delivers this (including full BD rips with HD audio) with the least fuss. I don't use Plex DLNA, because DLNA is pretty poor in any implementation as far as I know.

What I would like to know is if they are using the Plex for Tablets / Phones or the GoogleTV Plex. It would kinda suck to have a Tablet/Phone Plex on a TV. Anyone know?

• C-300 60GB SSD > 65" Mitsu DLP
  • C-200 32GB USB Flash > 47" LG Google TV (also Plex)
  • 4 Sony GoogleTV Boxes (with Plex) (Replaced A-110)
  • 1 PowerMac G5 NFS Server
  • 1 MacPro NFS / Plex Server
  • 70 TB eSata Raid 10 / 10.5 TB FW800 Raid 1
09-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Is there anyone here who uses the Plex App on the Chameleon and can report back on the experience. I am really interested in if it can play high bitrate x264 without transcoding and pass DTS/AC3 through to the receiver.

I am currently using a PCH A-100 and it plays everything I want it to, through MyiHomeServer.

I also use Plex and a Roku 3 and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

I am looking for a player that can handle everything the PCH A-100 can, but through Plex, without transcoding, and support audio passthrough (DTS/AC3)
09-15-2015, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 11:12 PM by chris57.)
If you think that myihome server plays everything then you'll be impressed with how far all media players have come since 2007 when myihome and the A100 debuted. You'll also be able to turn off your PC and use local storage rather than paying for your PC 24/7 to serve myihome.

If you like the NMT brand of which the A100 was the founder then the current NMT equivalent is the Vten and its Plex APP;
http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/popcornhour/vten
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=67854
It will take a config.xml for subtitles and no transcoding by the server the Vten will decode. Check the thread out as there's no plexpass mplex or account support. The code has been made available if you are super techy. The Vten has enough power to transcode/passthourgh.

Presently there are passthorugh audio issues with HD audio not DTS/AC3. I use Kodi and downmix not passthrough. Passthrough of HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD) is not reliable for all yet but that does not sound like one of your requirements.

There's also the newly announced Android player using a different chipset that is not as high specced as the OHC but comes with a reported working HD audio passthorugh and other issues fixed. Time will tell if that is the case when we get our hands on it?

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-15-2015, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 12:47 AM by golf7.)
Thanks for the info. I use an external 16 drive bay connected directly to my PC that I use FlexRaid to interface with them. I still use my PC 24/7 to stream Plex and myiHome, but am always looking for something that can handle Plex without Transcoding.

Something in the $100-$150 range.

I was looking at the Chameleon, vten, or the newly announced Gecko as good alternatives. Also possibly the A-400/410 series. I would like it to suport netflix (HD)/hbo go/amazon etc.
09-22-2015, 10:12 PM
(09-15-2015 10:00 PM)golf7 Wrote:  Is there anyone here who uses the Plex App on the Chameleon and can report back on the experience. I am really interested in if it can play high bitrate x264 without transcoding and pass DTS/AC3 through to the receiver.

I am currently using a PCH A-100 and it plays everything I want it to, through MyiHomeServer.

I also use Plex and a Roku 3 and Amazon Fire TV Stick.

I am looking for a player that can handle everything the PCH A-100 can, but through Plex, without transcoding, and support audio passthrough (DTS/AC3)

I use Plex and love my Plex setup. It's my own personal netflix. I store my data on a 24TB NAS and use a dedicated iSCSI connection to my dedicated Plex Media Server.

On to my opinion on OHC and Plex. In short; OHC sucks for Plex. Is it all OHC's fault? No. Is it mostly their fault? Probably.

The issues I've ran into using Plex on my OHC is that when playing movies it will randomly lock up and freeze. The interface is very sluggish. The remote wont allow you to select some items in the menus. If other apps are running Plex will be VERY slow. Required a lot of tweaking to get the video to not stutter and it's still not 100% stutter free. It can do direct play and direct stream but the previous issues always randomly re-appear no matter what settings I choose.

I'm sure some of these issues could be the Plex app itself but the performance side of things i don't believe are. I believe that's caused by the poor hardware choice and poor hardware support. Rockchip isn't supporting their product properly while OH made a very poor decision on using Rockchip.

In the end; would I recommend OHC or another OH product? Never. I'm come to terms with losing my money on this device. I've moved on and bought a different device that works great. It's cheap and runs full Windows 8.1.

MINIX NEO Z64 Windows 8.1; $160 on Amazon with free shipping (also qualifies for prime shipping too)