Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Report on Chromebox
04-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Report on Chromebox
Well, I got my Chromebox M004U in today and now have it setup. I replaced Chrome OS with a custom BIOS Flash, then installed OpenELEC with KODI 14.2 in a stand alone configuration. Install took about 2 hours with KODI configuration. Right off the bat I noticed...
Cold boots in 7 seconds from the SSD
Big buck Bunny pulls 25% CPU with HD Audio
UI is so fast the screen is up before you get your finger off the button.
KODI & my AVR shows HD audio, along with smooth as glass Video.
No white noise or stuttering or anything else, just smooth play.
I had a MCE iR receiver so I used the Microsoft Media Center SE profile for my Harmony remote and it works fine, couple of changes in the buttons from what I was used to on the OH but works fine. I like that the info button while in a video shows full stats on resource use. It will get its first real workout tomorrow night, we will see, but from preliminary testing it is going to be fine.
It was very easy to do the OpenELEC install using the EZ Script on the KODI forum, but you do need 3 SD cards on hand, all can be 4GB, one for the OE install image, one for your OEM system backup (if you want it) and one to back up the OEM FLASH BIOS. You only need these if you may want to return the CB to its original state. I will keep my OH to see where it goes from here, and if it gets great may switch back and restore the CB as a general use computer in my Motor Home Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
04-06-2015, 02:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 03:01 AM by AmigaWolf.)
RE: Report on Chromebox
Hello Boys! I'm BAAAAAAACK!!!!

Hello F6B_Rider good to see you again, how is everything?

I am using my Mini-HTPC and i can say every is working fantastic, supper fast, and that with only a low end Intel Core i3 4130T
that has the Intel HD Graphics 4400.

I am using a 128GB SSD and 1TB 2,5" HD and 8GB dual RAM DDR3 1600MHz CL8 and MeLE Mele F10-Pro Air Mouse.

I am going to try and sell my Open Hour Chameleon, so hope i still get some money out of it.

It has been almost 2 mounts now, and still there is no Stable 100% free problem Firmware out.

But why did you not go for the MINIX NEO Z64, it runs Android, Linux, Windows and more, and use only 3w?

Just a question.

I made a Mini-HTPC because i can upgrade everything, and a ASUS Desktop PC CHROMEBOX-M004U cannot be upgraded.
04-06-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm getting Intel NUC5i5 soon with 5th gen intel i5 CPU, 128gb m.2 SSD & 8GB RAM.

I will need to sell OHC as well.
04-06-2015, 10:16 AM
try posting this on any other forum...Dodgy

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
04-06-2015, 10:37 AM
If you are looking to run OpenELEC on a NUC, it really doesn't need to be high spec. A Haswell chipset is all. This is why people use the Chromebox, which has a Haswell Celeron, and works as well as can be desired. (Haswell is desirable for proper reproduction of FPS, AIUI)
04-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Don't tell me you don't need an i5, 8Gb of RAM, and a SSD. That's getting to gaming PC specs Tongue

Seen a few reports of the Celeron Haswell versions lagging on HD material but that's not within openelec that's in chrome os. You have to install openelec as chrome os wont play dvd or ac3.
04-06-2015, 05:06 PM
(04-06-2015 09:14 AM)breonwei Wrote:  I'm getting Intel NUC5i5 soon with 5th gen intel i5 CPU, 128gb m.2 SSD & 8GB RAM.

About 10x as much power Consumption.
Also louder and twice as expensive. If you only want a Media-Player I wouldn t.
But hey it s your choice.

Thing is while I get the frustration, we ve had an Update on the software-side (SPMC 14.2) which at least for me was a solution to the stuttering (almost the only problem) I ve had.
It could be a lot better, more informative and faster updates. From both RC and CM but to say there was no improvement is false.

I am coming from Raidsonic, an IcyBox. It stuttered like hell as soon as a certain bitrate was there. Couldn t play a lot of Animes. Features like kodi were nowehere to be found. Downloading subtitle was broken etc.
Buyed that piece because it had excellent reviews about everywhere. (Yes it s been a few years, but 1080p and Anime have been on the market way longer).
They didn t label their firmware as beta. it just didn t work.

I ve always read Review before buying something. And this Time I ve been informed what I have to expect, something that isn t fully matured.
Mentioned what Box I ve had last, so I was actually pretty surprised.
I use downmix, let SPMC encode and it played (All Animes, Files with an insane bitarte).
Also Kodi did it s job (library, fanarts etc) at first (SPMC 14.1) there was some stuttering after I jumped arround in the movie (lasted up to 30s, which made me not jump anymore) still it Played. Since 14.2 that is gone as well and it actually works, it s smooth even when I jump, no crash yet.
The only Thing that doesn t work perfectly for me at the moment are Trailers from youtube, sometimes I have stuttering there.

My Point is, to those who are selling it to try something else. No one buys a OHC without reading some reviews first. (it s just not what someone from the Counter leads you to)
You ve known it wasn t a mature product. You ve known the Issues. So as long as it is improving what is your problem?
04-06-2015, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 05:40 PM by F6B_Rider.)
As for the M004U I used it last night for a 1080P HD audio movie and it was perfect, not a hiccup. I went with a stand alone Open ELEC install with embedded KODI Helix 14.2 and a custom BIOS. I cannot hear the fan, it is not much larger than the OH, and uses next to no power.
I went this way because all I need is a reliable Media Streamer for local content on a NAS, I have other options for Netflix, Youtube, Viemo, Amazon, and such (My OTA TV DVR has them right on the guide) OpenELEC has built in updating of the OS and a ton of app's. I will keep my OH on the bedroom TV as it has only 2ch stereo and a 32" screen.
The CB was using only 20% CPU while running the hi-def movie, a SD MKV used only 7%. It only has a 16GB SSD but as I don't store anything on the box (with a 16TB NAS I don't need to) it is fine. For about $100 I am very happy with it, if the OH gets awesome updates and I upgrade to a 4K TV then I can always swap them out. Oh, and the Harmony Remote controls it fine using MS Media Center SE profile and a MCE iR receiver.
04-06-2015, 06:11 PM
(04-06-2015 05:35 PM)F6B_Rider Wrote:  As for the M004U I used it last night for a 1080P HD audio movie and it was perfect, not a hiccup. I went with a stand alone Open ELEC install with embedded KODI Helix 14.2 and a custom BIOS. I cannot hear the fan, it is not much larger than the OH, and uses next to no power.
I went this way because all I need is a reliable Media Streamer for local content on a NAS, I have other options for Netflix, Youtube, Viemo, Amazon, and such (My OTA TV DVR has them right on the guide) OpenELEC has built in updating of the OS and a ton of app's. I will keep my OH on the bedroom TV as it has only 2ch stereo and a 32" screen.
The CB was using only 20% CPU while running the hi-def movie, a SD MKV used only 7%. It only has a 16GB SSD but as I don't store anything on the box (with a 16TB NAS I don't need to) it is fine. For about $100 I am very happy with it, if the OH gets awesome updates and I upgrade to a 4K TV then I can always swap them out. Oh, and the Harmony Remote controls it fine using MS Media Center SE profile and a MCE iR receiver.

Great. 20% CPU, what bitrate? (are you one of those 900 MB is enough for HDR in 1080p or are we talking about 50GB is the right size for the first part?)
Power usage is not over 15 watt, which is actually pretty nice.
Noise from fans is an absolute no-go and what would probably worried me the most.
04-06-2015, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:51 PM by F6B_Rider.)
(04-06-2015 06:11 PM)Dread Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 05:35 PM)F6B_Rider Wrote:  As for the M004U I used it last night for a 1080P HD audio movie and it was perfect, not a hiccup. I went with a stand alone Open ELEC install with embedded KODI Helix 14.2 and a custom BIOS. I cannot hear the fan, it is not much larger than the OH, and uses next to no power.

Great. 20% CPU, what bitrate? (are you one of those 900 MB is enough for HDR in 1080p or are we talking about 50GB is the right size for the first part?)
Noise from fans is an absolute no-go and what would probably worried me the most.
The custom BIOS slows the fan down to where you cannot hear it even if you put your ear next to it. For normal movies I use 2-4 GB MKV's, running around 15MBs and for movies I want to keep full BRD. A full BRD @ 1080P was running less than 40% CPU @ 40-50 MBs with a hardwire connection to the NAS. So far I am really happy with it. Both the Coreboot BIOS and OpenELEC was installed via a iDrive script, the unit had to have the write protect screw removed and put into developer mode for the install, both of which is explained and simple. I wen thru all of the steps in the EZ Script and had it installed in about an hour, with another hour devoted to setting up Kodi and testing. No issues at all with the install, and I don't know squat about ChromeOS, although back in the day I was a PASCAL and ADA programmer. If you want to check out the process you can find the WIKI at http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Device_Preparation and the full instructions at http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362
04-06-2015, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2015 08:55 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(04-06-2015 06:11 PM)Dread Wrote:  

I play 10-20GB MKV movies with a bitrate of minimal 10Mbps or more, with DTS (HD Master).

It only uses about 21w power when i play movies.

My Mini-PC HTPC also do not make any sound i use a heat sink with a 120mm fan, that runs
only about 1000rpm so it's very very silent.
04-07-2015, 02:28 AM
(04-06-2015 05:06 PM)Dread Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 09:14 AM)breonwei Wrote:  I'm getting Intel NUC5i5 soon with 5th gen intel i5 CPU, 128gb m.2 SSD & 8GB RAM.

About 10x as much power Consumption.
Also louder and twice as expensive. If you only want a Media-Player I wouldn t.
But hey it s your choice.

Thing is while I get the frustration, we ve had an Update on the software-side (SPMC 14.2) which at least for me was a solution to the stuttering (almost the only problem) I ve had.
It could be a lot better, more informative and faster updates. From both RC and CM but to say there was no improvement is false.

I am coming from Raidsonic, an IcyBox. It stuttered like hell as soon as a certain bitrate was there. Couldn t play a lot of Animes. Features like kodi were nowehere to be found. Downloading subtitle was broken etc.
Buyed that piece because it had excellent reviews about everywhere. (Yes it s been a few years, but 1080p and Anime have been on the market way longer).
They didn t label their firmware as beta. it just didn t work.

I ve always read Review before buying something. And this Time I ve been informed what I have to expect, something that isn t fully matured.
Mentioned what Box I ve had last, so I was actually pretty surprised.
I use downmix, let SPMC encode and it played (All Animes, Files with an insane bitarte).
Also Kodi did it s job (library, fanarts etc) at first (SPMC 14.1) there was some stuttering after I jumped arround in the movie (lasted up to 30s, which made me not jump anymore) still it Played. Since 14.2 that is gone as well and it actually works, it s smooth even when I jump, no crash yet.
The only Thing that doesn t work perfectly for me at the moment are Trailers from youtube, sometimes I have stuttering there.

My Point is, to those who are selling it to try something else. No one buys a OHC without reading some reviews first. (it s just not what someone from the Counter leads you to)
You ve known it wasn t a mature product. You ve known the Issues. So as long as it is improving what is your problem?

It is certainly not consuming 10x power as compared to OHC.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-ki...c_158261/8

It is consuming 15 - 18 watts for 1080p movie.

The bottom line is I do not have to deal with empty promises and endless of issues considering I'm using NUC with full desktop functionality.

Lesson learned - Stay away from whatever product from CloudMedia.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to breonwei for this post
04-07-2015, 07:20 AM
Intel Z3735F NUC for me. Don't have 4k TV so MELE PCG03 works a dream. Have 5TB hooked up to it in dual docking station.

Really low power consumption @12w max

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
04-07-2015, 08:41 AM
(04-07-2015 02:28 AM)breonwei Wrote:  Lesson learned - Stay away from whatever product from CloudMedia.

You have learnt nothing. Hardware players produced by anyone take as long as the chip manufacturer takes to release fixes. Always has been always will.

We have told you on this forum BEFORE purchasing that development of hardware players produced by anyone takes time due to chip manufacturers launching chips without the fixes needed on launch. Yet you blame your lack of patience on one specific manufacturer.

Why are you still visiting this forum when you have no interest in the player apart from flaming and trolling the forum which if you have ever read the forum rules you will know are both not allowed. Continue in this at your own peril. You have been warned.
04-07-2015, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 10:36 AM by Dread.)
(04-07-2015 08:41 AM)chris57 Wrote:  
(04-07-2015 02:28 AM)breonwei Wrote:  Lesson learned - Stay away from whatever product from CloudMedia.

You have learnt nothing. Hardware players produced by anyone take as long as the chip manufacturer takes to release fixes. Always has been always will.

We have told you on this forum BEFORE purchasing that development of hardware players produced by anyone takes time due to chip manufacturers launching chips without the fixes needed on launch. Yet you blame your lack of patience on one specific manufacturer.

While I actually dislike him for beeing less constructive than a Troll, he isn t completly wrong about something.
Yes it may be RCs fault that we do not have a perfect firmware yet. But it is CM who sold us the box. If the Box is never fully usable and stable for everyone, it will also reflect badly on CM.
It may not be their fault but as a company their power to push RC, along with other manufactorers is far greater than ours.

PS: breonwei, seems it s only about 4-5x the power consumption, on the price and also the noise I however seem to be right.

Just wrote an Email to Rockchip. Not in regard when we have an update from them, but wherever we will have one. I ll post the possible answer, as soon as I get one.

Dear Support Staff

I ve buyed not to long ago a device with an RK3288, the OHC to be specific. We owners have our Forum so we ve been chatting for a while now.
Now it seems the OHC has still several Issues, it is in need for future firmware updates. (Android versions etc)
And that is the place where RC comes in. I ve seen you testing the RK3288 with Android 5 and other systems.
Will those features also come to our mediaplayer? How is it from the supporting side in general?

There are 3 possibilities on this regard I think
- It will be fixed/improved as fast as possible
- it will take time but you won t leave the chip before he isn t working perfectly
- You ve done all you can and the rest is up to the specific sellers.

I personally don t care much about a timeline, as long as the Box gets fixed, perfectly running in the end.
The chip seems very fast and with the proper software etc it would be a very nice product.
That is why I am interested.

Thanks in advance
with best regards
a customer