Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Should I buy?
03-17-2015, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2015 09:04 PM by Daveydguk.)
RE: Should I buy?
If you live in the UK and want to buy a device then I would recommend Futeko. Really good customer service. Shame they don't sell OHC.

If you live I the UK and want to buy a device then I would recommend Futeko. Really good customer service. Shame they don't sell OHC.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Not knowing much about this market segment, I'm gathering that Sigma provides better backup support to OEM's who use their chipsets, but that they are closed-source, whereas Rockchip are more open but less supportive?

The VTEN works out like $A40 more expensive, it would have to be "a sure thing" in terms of capability for me to justify it. Willem clearly you're happy with yours? I was kinda hoping for Play Store support, Youtube, and XBMC/Kodi and Plex. Don't want much, do I?
03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
I think you summed it up nicely.... but if you want android with the full media player feature set you will need to wait until Rockchip and OHC get their act together, the hardware is far superior to what is used inside the VTEN but making the right SDK with a good driver library is what its really all about and Sigma is dedicated to that as opposed to Rockchip that does many devices.
So if you can watch this space for the next 2 month and see if they deliver on android 5 and the media player functionalities.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
11-23-2015, 08:53 PM
(03-18-2015 01:45 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  I think you summed it up nicely.... but if you want android with the full media player feature set you will need to wait until Rockchip and OHC get their act together, the hardware is far superior to what is used inside the VTEN but making the right SDK with a good driver library is what its really all about and Sigma is dedicated to that as opposed to Rockchip that does many devices.
So if you can watch this space for the next 2 month and see if they deliver on android 5 and the media player functionalities.

That seems to be the problem with all these media player Chinese companies. They can copy and/or design the hardware, but they fall short on all the programming side hence SDK, datasheets, firmware fixes, customer support etc. I guess it's a mistake made by all those new to capitalism, i.e. you either make it or they'll (competition) break you trying.