Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Should I buy?
03-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Should I buy?
Been reading through some of the threads on the forum, trying to decide whether to buy an OH.

We have recently purchased a 4K tv and are hopeful of being able to play some content that truly shows us its capabilities.

Currently we use a WDTV which runs the set at 1080p quite well. I am hoping that the OH would give us at least similar functionality to that box - the ability to play videos from Youtube, including the newer 4K ones, as well as to stream media files from our NAS, which speaks SMB.

It seems like most of this would be possible, but I gather there are some audio issues with certain types of Dolby audio?

Obviously a forum like this will contain some negative viewpoints, that's the nature of forums, but I'm wondering if the general consensus is that the OH is good or not?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this - but is there even another realistic alternative? I was also looking at the VTEN, but that's the only other one I'm even aware of.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2015, 03:14 PM
RE: Should I buy?
Himedia Q5 4k3D.

check it out.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
03-14-2015, 05:00 PM
If WDTV is where you are coming from my advise is to get a VTEN, any android based media player is still a gamble as there a to may things that need fixing.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
03-14-2015, 06:06 PM
(03-14-2015 05:00 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  If WDTV is where you are coming from my advise is to get a VTEN, any android based media player is still a gamble as there a to may things that need fixing.

if he does,that will be 3 of you thats got one!
03-14-2015, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-2015 07:56 PM by chris57.)
(03-14-2015 06:06 PM)btezB Wrote:  
(03-14-2015 05:00 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  If WDTV is where you are coming from my advise is to get a VTEN, any android based media player is still a gamble as there a to may things that need fixing.

if he does,that will be 3 of you thats got one!

What? HuhHuh

Moving on to the purpose of the forum, the Android players are still behind in terms of playback of your own local material. However they are more akin to a mini PC than say a purpose built media player and therefore can run web browsers and use youtube etc. They are also compatible with Kodi via SPMC and if you are into that then its the only way to go.

So its down to your needs. What do you want? From the sound of it you are not wanting the top of the line playback with HD audio etc. so it may be that the OHC is better for you.

Remember to check out your 4K TV specs, there is 4.4.4@60Hz and 4.2.0@30Hz versions. The OHC the former and the Vten the later. Bluray will probably be 4.2.0@24-30Hz but its not a done deal yet.
03-15-2015, 12:25 AM
I believe my TV will only do 4K at 30Hz. Does that mean I *have* to buy the VTEN or can the OH do both 60Hz and 30Hz?

We basically would use it for SMB file playback over Gig ethernet, and maybe Kodi and Plex. We probably won't watch masses of 4K, it's really just to see what our TV is really capable of.

I just don't really want to have the WDTV wired up and the 4K player as well, if I can find one device to rule them all. We also have a Chromecast which works well but it's unobtrusive, just hides behind the amp.
03-15-2015, 11:52 AM
chromecast doesn't have the same picture quality, 4K@30Hz will be OK on both. Kodi won't work on VTEN but PLEX will.
Both OHC and VTEN will play all content currently connected to the WDTV.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
03-15-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm aware the Chromecast isn't 4K, but it sure is fun to cast Youtube clips to the TV.

Just waiting for the local OpenHour dealer (Streamaster here in Australia) to get back to me to confirm details of the Air Mouse that they're selling. Is it worth having one? They seem to be selling an Air Mouse with a keyboard on the reverse but it doesn't mention voice, which the one on Cloud Media's website does mention.

I am thinking the wifi/BT dongle isn't really needed as we have gigabit Ethernet available in the TV cabinet, so the Airmouse would be sufficient for navigating Android and using Google Now and Skype, right?
03-15-2015, 01:20 PM
my advise would still be to get a VTEN.

03-15-2015, 01:30 PM
Specifically why? For the 30fps?
03-15-2015, 02:30 PM
just quoting my advise in post 3................... any android based media player is still a gamble as there a too many things that need fixing.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
03-15-2015, 03:38 PM
(03-15-2015 02:30 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  just quoting my advise in post 3................... any android based media player is still a gamble as there a too many things that need fixing.

Chameleon relegated to the bottom of the pile?
03-15-2015, 04:01 PM
hear me well, hardware is still far superior to the VTEN but the core functionality of playing all content flawless needs a lot of work at Rockchip, Google, Kodi and Openhour.
but yes, in my book android mediaplayers don't match up to NMT's.... bottom of the pile is your words.

03-16-2015, 01:05 PM
So am I understanding that the VTEN isn't Android-based?
03-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Correct. It's Linux with Sigma SDK solution thats been proven in all the NMT's.