Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

External Disk Corrupted files After connecting to OHC
03-08-2015, 05:24 PM
External Disk Corrupted files After connecting to OHC
Hi,

I'm facing some kind of strange issue, I have an external disk connected to my OHC, when I have new content to add to the disk I just disconnect the external disk from OHC and connect it to my Desktop PC. At this point everything is OK, I see every single file and folders, I remove and Add new content do the disk (normally 1080p Movies). After I copy the files to the disk I can see them and open them without a problem, so I disconnect the disk from the Desktop PC and connect it to the OHC, when I do this and open the SPMC (normal player that I use) the files that I deleted aren't there as supposed to but the folders appears there and the new files that I just copied to the disk aren't shown. I try to do a update library but nothing.

After this I connect the disk again to the Desktop PC, and the files that I previously putted there are gone... I have to do a check disk to get the files and folders back in the disk, sometimes I lose some files that I copied on the first time...

After doing this I connect again the disk to the OHC and I have no more issues.... It's like the OHC is corrupting the new files that I put on the disk.

Anyone facing this issue or have any solution for this?

Thks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2015, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 04:35 AM by chris57.)
RE: External Disk Corrupted files After connecting to OHC
I have a SSD in a USB enclosure that I have tested on the OHC but only for moving content to/from it via the network. Sambadroid Pro Android APP lets you specify USB and I got decent speeds SMB lan copy for large files, around 18MB/s from memory. Anyway that's going OT and just to let you know that you can mount a USB drive on your SMB network using Sambadroid Pro. Only the Pro version has the option to mount any card or usb location. You may find that your direct USB to PC loading is not more than 18MB/s so you could just leave it where it is and not move it.

However first lets get a few more details:-
1. How is the USB HDD formatted?
2. What PC? Windows? Mac?
3. Are we only talking about SPMC?
4. Are the files showing when using the likes of esfilexplorer? If so then we know its a SPMC update that's required or there's something in the formatting perhaps?
5. Are you dismounting and mounting the USB drive correctly from both your PC and the player?

edit:

I've taken the SSD-USB enclosure and formatted it to NTFS. I use USB2 although the case says its USB3 my PC has only USB2. I'm getting 24MB/s on a 11GB file transferring from the PC to the NTFS formatted USB SSD.

Now the SSD is 480GB in size but in comparison to a large filesystem of say a few TB's with a lot fo small or even larger files it may take quite sometime for the player to read and update the list of files. On the NMT the native filesystem of EXT performed the quickest at this with NTFS etc. being slower to update file lists.

I'll disconnect and see how long it take for SPMC to show the one file however I tend to have my locations be they LAN or USB already in the file list and access that way in SPMC.
03-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi Chris57,

Thanks for the inputs.

Answering you questions:

1. How is the USB HDD formatted?
NTFS
2. What PC? Windows? Mac?
Windows 7
3. Are we only talking about SPMC?
I just tried with SPMC because I only use SPMC. The version is the last one 14.1 i think. But I faced the same problems with earlier versions to.
4. Are the files showing when using the likes of esfilexplorer? If so then we know its a SPMC update that's required or there's something in the formatting perhaps?
Never tried that, I will try when i get a moment.
5. Are you dismounting and mounting the USB drive correctly from both your PC and the player?
From PC yes, I'm dismounting correctly, on the player I just unplug the USB from OHC, because if I try to unmount the drive on OHC after that when I connect it again it isn't detected by OHC and the only solution is to power of the OHC (completely) or do a reboot.

Thanks again for the value inputs.
04-25-2015, 05:10 AM
Hello I got the same problem, when see movies the openhour freezing and not let me play nothing and when restart the videos are delete, I use WD My passport Ultra, this is a problem in the product, and are anyway to fix it?
04-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Is this due to turning the OHC off while its still accessing the HDD.

Ive noticed that the HHD spin down isn't too good on the OHC.

e.g. The OHC is in standby and still the HDD is spinning / flashing..

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
(04-25-2015 02:23 PM)Daveydguk Wrote:  Is this due to turning the OHC off while its still accessing the HDD.

Ive noticed that the HHD spin down isn't too good on the OHC.

e.g. The OHC is in standby and still the HDD is spinning / flashing..

that means need more power in usb for HDD?
04-27-2015, 12:40 AM
You also have to unmount USB hdd's in Android like 'safely remove hardware' in windows. Your usb hdd will most likely be a wndows file systen aswell.

Start with seeing if it doesn't happen if you disconnect via android before removal whilst the box is on.
04-28-2015, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 06:38 AM by Daveydguk.)
I connected my WD Passport Ultra to the PC and tested using Crystal Disk Info.

Came up Caution, Yellow on the Current pending sector count...

The WD application showed a pass..

Noticed that when I connect it to the OHC the HD head started to click on the odd occasion ?

Could be faulty drive, or OHC not giving it enough power.

It did start to function correctly after about 40 seconds..

Before switching off I used the unmout option on the OHC... But the disk was still spinning after unmount ?

How many people are using 2.5" drive powered by OHC USB port ? Do I really need to purchase a powered USB HUB... can anyone recommend a replacement UK power supply for the OHC ?

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
04-28-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 09:02 AM by chris57.)
You wont get more power from the USB socket by using a different power supply. The sockets I tested and they produce the output you expect from USB2.

Some USB2 and most USB3 USB HDD's draw more power than one USB2 socket can supply. Therefore the USB Y split cable was supplied with a lot of USB HDD's. Using two sockets gives enough power. USB3 has a max of 0.9 whereas USB2 is 0.5 from memory.

If there are a lot of files to read and the HDD is formatted to NTFS or a non Android system it'll take sometime to read and display. The NMT is the same with larger HDD's.

Apart from the points mentioned did it disconnect and display the files fine.
04-28-2015, 10:46 AM
ten quid will get you a nice USB powered hub.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
04-28-2015, 11:06 AM
It disconnected and I could read all files again.

Will invested in a powered usb hub with switches.

04-30-2015, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 07:11 AM by Daveydguk.)
Regarding Pending Sector counts.. I used the WD lifeguard program to write zero state to the drive which forced the HD firmware to correct the sectors.. HD is now showing healthy again in Crystal disk info.

Is there any apps which dismount your USB from menu screen.

OHC should spin down and unmount all drives on power off and remounts when you turn on. I don't trust my wife or child to understand unmount etc when using this device in its present state.

04-30-2015, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 07:08 AM by Daveydguk.)
I'm not connecting another hard disk to this device until It has basic features like Spin down and Unmount on power off.

Provide evidence open hour that hard disk usb mounts are safe on this device ? A standard.
Spin down. Unmount on power off.

05-01-2015, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 09:18 AM by chris57.)
Get used to Android m8, dont expect them to have to fix windows either Big Grin

Have you researched spindown and unmounting in Android so you understand the problem and not just moan about symptoms? It took quite some effort to get it working in embedded linux devices which are far more suited and have far mor ehistory and developers behind it than android.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  23.976FPS stutter, test files, and other FPS video stutter issues chris57 89 53,656 09-14-2015 11:20 PM
Last Post: chris57
  any problems connecting USB HDD ? afss 10 6,106 03-10-2015 10:39 PM
  connecting bluetooth headset? ferrywd 5 3,465 02-03-2015 01:26 PM
  External Bluray Drives cybersamurai01 1 1,240 11-11-2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: Willem55