Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Kodi/XBMC/SPMC Security Issues?
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Kodi/XBMC/SPMC Security Issues?
I am a relative newbie when it comes to KODI/XBMC/SPMC.
First thing I learned to do was install the Superrepo to see all the different add-ons. Other than a few that people have told me about or the ones that are fairly clear in the description, I have no clue what most of those add-ons do.

My question to you smart folks. Should I have security concerns with add-ons? have they been vetted? If I happen to install the wrong ones, will they worm into my home network?

My significant other won't let me connect my OHC through my <obviously faster> Hard Wired Ethernet. I have to connect it via WIFI through our GUEST WIFI so there is a firewall between it and the rest of the home network. I think it is overkill but I am trying to make peace in the house.

Does anyone have any comments on security/hackability that is possible through these add-ons? Are there any articles that address security concerns? DO's & DON'Ts?

MIKE
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2015, 06:50 PM
RE: Kodi/XBMC/SPMC Security Issues?
Running anything on Android seems pretty secure these days but as to each and every addon to Kodi or its derivatives we cannot say. It's really up to you to visit each addon site and judge there. It's worth it as they do run into problems and some have their own forums etc. to help with errors. There's also the legality of some of them to consider which is why it's best to discuss any specifc ones at their sites. Kodi doesn't allow discussion on their forum.

I have not worried and have tried quite a few of the same ones I bet.

I'm also interested to hear from the more experienced in using these addons but we have to be careful not to get into naming any and keep any advice general.
02-13-2015, 08:26 PM
How about KODI/SPMC itself? I am sure since it is open source there are many people scrutinizing it. Do you think there are any issues with it?
02-14-2015, 12:35 AM
No I think you are fine and you can turn off remote access unless you require it.

Here's a thread from the Kodi forum showing that they do take security risks seriously:-
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=144110
02-14-2015, 04:52 PM
In my experience any wi-fi connection is less secure than a hard wired one, I only use wifi for my cell phone and tablet, with security apps enabled, Everything else in the house is hard wired and I use both software and hardware firewalls, as well as little snitch, a communications port monitor, and Avast web/email/virus blocker. In the last 5 years I have had no intrusion, or malware of any type with the exception of tracking cookies, which get wiped every night. Any time you broadcast a signal on wi-fi be sure to use MAC filtering (device specific) and turn off SSID to spoof would be snoopers.
02-15-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't know about security of add-ons but you can keep the OHC separate as your doing. But I feel the need to point out that for wireless security use wpa2 with a strong shared key. Turning off SSID can cause connection problems for devices and does nothing for security as you can easily sniff the SSID as well as it causes your devices to broadcast your SSID everywhere you take them as they try to find it, mac filtering which also is very easy to work around. Some people say they like a multi-layered approach to security but just use wpa2 to keep everybody out rather than use various method that are only good to stop accidental connection to your network and create problems for you.