Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Remote buttons
01-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Remote buttons
I really need more buttons on the remote, it has so few! Not even fast forward and rewind! I'm trying to setup my Harmony remote to get a little more control but it doesn't go well.

First the Chapter Next and Chapter Prev buttons doesn't work at all! Nothing happens when I press them! When trying to use the Keymap Editor in SPMC it doesn't recognize anything when I press them! (The IR does light up though). It's the same with my Harmony after downloading the codes. So it's not the remote that is broken!

And those where ones of the few buttons I wanted to give other commands to! The home, mouse, and settings buttons is used outside of SPMC so I can't remap them there! The back and the other back at the bottom right of the remote has the same IR code! So you only have the numbers, directional pad, back, menu and volume buttons to use! (Except for volume those are all good to keep!) I mean that is ridiculous few! I have many commands in SPMC I want to give a button for! Yes I know you can buy air mouse thing but I want to use my Harmony and it's just bad to control movies etc with such things imo!

Is there anyway to get more buttons (mapped in harmony) and can the chapter buttons be fixed?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2015, 12:12 PM
RE: Remote buttons
same issue here, running out of buttons, just need 4 or 5 more and i'm happy

the Air Mouse would be the answer, but i'm not paying 40€ for my ~5 (more needed) buttons at the moment

take a look here this would be a cheap solution Tongue
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread.php?tid=400
01-10-2015, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 01:34 PM by chris57.)
In the WIKI iot tells you what IR codes it uses:
http://wiki.openhourlab.com/index.php/Remote_Control
NEC4040.

If you can get those codes and try them on your Harmony it should enable testing of which will work and which additional ones dont.

Reading that has made me realise I've never pressed the Advanced Settings button on my remote Big Grin
01-10-2015, 01:50 PM
I'm unsure how a IR code look like but I don't think the 1F 1E and so on are IR codes, if that is what you meant? When you use the Keymap editor add-on in SMPC you get a code. The back and the bottom right key both have 61448 for example (45 and 0C in that picture). And the next and previous chapter doesn't have any code when they don't work! (I know you can press up and down to change chapters but it's not the function I want it's the buttons so I can map it in SPMC to something useful).
01-10-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 03:41 PM by chris57.)
I was hoping that you would be able to google and find all of the IR codes for NEC4040. Then feed those back to your Harmony and try them to see if additional ones work on the box.

There are other Universal Remotes also that may be able to be programmed with HEX codes or other ways:-
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/i...sal_Remote

So hopefully someone with one can find the codes for NEC4040 load them into their universal remote and test to see if we can get the player to recognise to other commands that are not on the remote.

The Rockchip Android APP looks to have more features than the standard remote although does not use IR of course.
01-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Oh ok. Well that was hard to search for! And I think they have to be uploaded to Harmony for me to use anyway. That or you can learn from another remote. I don't think you can just enter a code...

But regardless of Harmony if you only have the original remote I think you should be able to use the few buttons there are, like chapter back and forward buttons. (You can remap them to whatever you want in SPMC if they would work) The back and the Bottom right back one should be different to but that might be harder to fix. But chapter buttons should be able to be fixed in firmware I'm guessing?

I'm very open to any other solution to get more control with a remote though!
01-10-2015, 06:07 PM
I have my Harmony One set up just fine, the full codes are in the Harmony database. Just add new device using Media Center PC as the type, CloudMedia as the manufacturer and Chameleon as the model. Then you can customize the soft buttons any way you like for AVR pass through, or light control as I do. All of the buttons on my Harmony work, including the double press of the 'return' to switch to the desktop without shutting down SPMC. Skip, FF & FR, pause all work fine. I did add 'Mouse', 'Home', and 'Setup' soft buttons as there are no hard buttons for these functions.
01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
I did add the thing you described and the buttons on my Harmony do work but there are way to few to choose from to control the Chameleon! (Same as with the original remote). I can control my AVR but that's not the point I want to control the Chameleon!

The double press of 'return' works but that's not another button and only works at the start page of SPMC.

But Skip does that really work for you? I think you mean ChaperNext with that. The second button on the 3rd row on the original remote? It does nothing for me, not in harmony and not on the original remote. Keymap Editor doesn't recognize anything when I press that either.

And the FF and FR? The original remote doesn't have them, so have you replace anything else and remapped them in SPMC or something? They don't show up when you download the thing in Harmony either!
01-10-2015, 09:00 PM
I think the idea in Android is that you press for an OSD and then use that, I don't like it either Undecided
01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
But the OSD is built in to SPMC isn't it, nothing to do with the Android OS. I also notice that by switching activities on the harmony the OH actually powers down, I have to wait for it to boot up the next time I select 'Watch Media Center' on the harmony, the harmony must be sending a double press of the power signal, thus powering down the OH, I will have to check that.
Seek or Skip forward or backward 30 seconds at a time works from the remote fine, but Chris is correct that Fast forward/backward only works from the OSD, but it does work great so there needs to be a code for it somewhere.
01-10-2015, 11:12 PM
You can add Fast Forward and backward if you download the SPMC add-on Keymap Editor. Or you can edit the xml file yourself but you need to know the code then. So you go to Fast forward in the add-on, and then choose what button to use for that. Later you can map that button to Fast Forward in Harmony. Problem is there are so few buttons to choose from that you don't need for other stuff! Sad

And your problem with the Harmony sending double power signal, it doesn't! Android UI is still in the background and that uses the power button also. So both SPMC and the Android UI gets the power button signal and does what it are told to do. Same thing on the original remote so nothing to do with Harmony. You can use the home button or the back button several times and just minimize SPMC rather then close it. Or use the icon in the lower left to close it.

Chapter skip buttons really needs to be fixed so we at least can use them for something! Or if the 2 back buttons wasn't the same thing.. Good also if they can add new IR commands in some way that someone could upload so people with Harmony and other devices could use. It's not a phone that only can use OSD buttons it's a media center you want to use a remote for!
01-11-2015, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 01:34 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-10-2015 12:12 PM)meowmoo Wrote:  same issue here, running out of buttons, just need 4 or 5 more and i'm happy

the Air Mouse would be the answer, but i'm not paying 40€ for my ~5 (more needed) buttons at the moment

take a look here this would be a cheap solution Tongue
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread.php?tid=400

MeLE have one of the best Air Mouses out there, i have the Mele F10-Pro now for more then a year and they work very good.

And now you have the MeLE F10 Deluxe and that one has a Play/Pause button and a skip chapter buttons, and much more.

And they do not cost much, only about US$ 31,92 and thats with free shipping :-)

And the iTaSee F10N has even a Stop button.
01-11-2015, 01:46 AM
I've got an ipazz bluetooth keypad with backlight etc. however its either got very poor bluetooth reception or the bluetooth dongle is just not transmitting strong enough as it doesn't seem to work very well.

I'll try adding a USB cable to the dongle to place it away from the player I was hoping bluetooth was either a hit or miss.

The problem is though that its not just the cost of the ipazz or mele you also have to get the dongle as well.
01-11-2015, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 01:54 AM by Whistler.)
But you have to use 2 remotes then! Good thing with Harmony and so on is you only use one! One button to start everything and so on. I see no reason to get an Air Mouse either, I will only use my box for SPMC, so €31,92 is expensive to get more buttons! But thanks, that is an alternative! I'm sure there are some app to make your smartphone into an air mouse / remote also, that will cost you nothing. But can't imagine that being any good, I want buttons! Tongue

-Edit- Saw the next reply now, forgot the dongle to! Way to much money then! But I still think the smartphone thing can work, haven't looked into it because it's not what I want.
01-11-2015, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2015 02:04 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-11-2015 01:46 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I've got an ipazz bluetooth keypad with backlight etc. however its either got very poor bluetooth reception or the bluetooth dongle is just not transmitting strong enough as it doesn't seem to work very well.

I'll try adding a USB cable to the dongle to place it away from the player I was hoping bluetooth was either a hit or miss.

The problem is though that its not just the cost of the ipazz or mele you also have to get the dongle as well.

No you will get a USB Dongle with the Air mouses i just put here.

(01-11-2015 01:51 AM)Whistler Wrote:  so €31,92 is expensive to get more buttons! But thanks

No it cost 31,92 United States Dollars NOT 31,92 Euro, thats why i put
US$ before it ;-)

It cost in Euro only €26,72

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  TV screen blinking on use of OHC remote control bauletz 3 466 02-20-2017 10:31 AM
Last Post: Willem55
  OHC remote issues nightwalker 7 1,826 03-05-2016 06:18 PM
Last Post: nightwalker
  Internet disappears after standby with remote Chameleon User 13 5,399 03-12-2015 03:46 PM
Last Post: Willem55