Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

20141231 (1.0.10) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware
01-08-2015, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2015 09:03 AM by Willem55.)
RE: 20141231 (1.0.10) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware
Are we all aware of the fact that kodi/xbmc/spmc behaves and plays differently and has different feature set based on each platform it runs on?
Windows, Apple, Linux, OpenElec and android all have differences in playback capabilities and quality, even the variable GPU types will dictate if certain feature function or fail.
So claiming a platform doesn't "support" xbmc is silly as xbmc clearly runs.... Fact is that xbmc development chose to release for android platform without bothering to create full support and now Rockwell engaged xbmc developer koying to create support in his SPMC fork of xbmc.
Question should be why the koying solutions are not part of the xbmc/kodi main release for ARM based systems?
The internal politics of xbmc are not open for public discussion on their forum as that will get you banned...Dodgy so be warned.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
The same is true for Plex Clients, they all move forward at different pace. So at the moment their android client is behind the plex curve.

So it is no surprise that the same is true for XBMC/SPMC for OHC. Since we have new hardware on top of things.

I actually think, things are moving forward ok. But I am under no pressure to swap over immediately, so tend to be quite relaxed about it all.
01-08-2015, 12:02 PM
yes... my Chameleon sits next to my A-400 on the 3rd HDMI port in my AVR.
Love the media database an plugins but it's still doesn't beat the playback quality of the A-400.
And I'm more interested in watching movies than GUI'sWink

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
(01-08-2015 09:00 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  Are we all aware of the fact that kodi/xbmc/spmc behaves and plays differently and has different feature set based on each platform it runs on?
Windows, Apple, Linux, OpenElec and android all have differences in playback capabilities and quality, even the variable GPU types will dictate if certain feature function or fail.
So claiming a platform doesn't "support" xbmc is silly as xbmc clearly runs.... Fact is that xbmc development chose to release for android platform without bothering to create full support and now Rockwell engaged xbmc developer koying to create support in his SPMC fork of xbmc.
Question should be why the koying solutions are not part of the xbmc/kodi main release for ARM based systems?
The internal politics of xbmc are not open for public discussion on their forum as that will get you banned...Dodgy so be warned.

You are right that XBMC has different functions on different hardware. But the difference here is that Open Hour are selling a specific piece of hardware that is advertised as "XBMC MEDIA CENTRE READY". On that basis, users have a reasonable expectation that XBMC will not just be able to run on the device, in the sense that one can open the application, but that it will deliver a reasonable set of functionality. And that Open Hour, the manufacturer of the product, will take steps to ensure that functionality is delivered. However, the attitude from moderators here appears to be that if something is not working, the issue is with XBMC/Kodi/SPMC and it is not for Open Hour to devote any resources to address that.

I was very surprised on receiving the device to find no xbmc build installed, and that you were simply recommended to install the unofficial SPMC fork. I have Android based media players from a number of other manufacturers, all with their own bugs. Five of these (Himedia Q5 4k, Vidon box, Mele X2000, Zidoo X9, MiniX X8-H plus) come with a specific build of XBMC which the manufacturer recommends you use with the box. And I can name another (Tronsmart R28) which makes NO mention of XBMC in its advertising, and does not come with any XBMC build. The Open Hour Chameleon is the only one of the above, all of which I own, to explicitly cite "XBMC" as one of its features, but then not to supply an XBMC/Kodi/SPMC build along with the product. I have found that pretty disappointing, and it makes me think the product should simply have been marketed simply as an android based TV box with no mention of XBMC. I suspect that would not have been great for sales of the box, however, given the price premium compared with (for example), the Tronsmart R28.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to malcolmbarr for this post
01-09-2015, 12:05 AM
So it seems that the 'white noise' issue is back with .10, it was gone for a minute with .08 but has returned, with differences. With framerate sync on and passthrough enabled I get the white noise when starting a 5.1 encoded video file, if I stop and restart the video from the on screen menu then on restart the white noise is gone. This does not happen every time but at random, leading me to wonder if it is a specific file type that causes it. Perhaps they (RC) can banish this bug for good it the next update..... I hope
01-09-2015, 09:23 AM
(01-08-2015 04:29 AM)dewet Wrote:  Why not use SPMC v14 beta 2 based on Kodi?
People using old SPMC's will have issues.
http://semperpax.be/owncloud/public.php?...e65bec3c3d

It doesn't fix the important issues:
- 4k playback will always scaled down to 1080p or 720p (depends on settings in chameleon/Android itself)
- different 4k encodings wasn't decoded proper
- TrueHD and other advanced soundformats doesn't work
- microstuttering on different fps-rates

errors like the randomly sound crackles on DTS or DD doesn't count here to be fair, i'm shure they there fixed, sometimes.
01-09-2015, 10:31 AM
(01-08-2015 11:36 PM)malcolmbarr Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 09:00 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  Are we all aware of the fact that kodi/xbmc/spmc behaves and plays differently and has different feature set based on each platform it runs on?

You are right that XBMC has different functions on different hardware. But the difference here is that Open Hour are selling a specific piece of hardware that is advertised as "XBMC MEDIA CENTRE READY". On that basis, users have a reasonable expectation that XBMC will not just be able to run on the device, in the sense that one can open the application, but that it will deliver a reasonable set of functionality. And that Open Hour, the manufacturer of the product, will take steps to ensure that functionality is delivered. However, the attitude from moderators here appears to be that if something is not working, the issue is with XBMC/Kodi/SPMC and it is not for Open Hour to devote any resources to address that.

I was very surprised on receiving the device to find no xbmc build installed, and that you were simply recommended to install the unofficial SPMC fork. I have Android based media players from a number of other manufacturers, all with their own bugs. Five of these (Himedia Q5 4k, Vidon box, Mele X2000, Zidoo X9, MiniX X8-H plus) come with a specific build of XBMC which the manufacturer recommends you use with the box. And I can name another (Tronsmart R28) which makes NO mention of XBMC in its advertising, and does not come with any XBMC build. The Open Hour Chameleon is the only one of the above, all of which I own, to explicitly cite "XBMC" as one of its features, but then not to supply an XBMC/Kodi/SPMC build along with the product. I have found that pretty disappointing, and it makes me think the product should simply have been marketed simply as an android based TV box with no mention of XBMC. I suspect that would not have been great for sales of the box, however, given the price premium compared with (for example), the Tronsmart R28.

Interesting opinion... remember "HD-Ready" displays?
As to delivering a reasonable set of functionality.... of all these brands you mention this box now has the most functionalities.. These other companies often supply a illegally hacked version of xbmc/kodi which has angered the kodi development community. Openhour is one of the few who stayed within the boundaries of fair use of open source.
feel free to have your opinion, just respect the fact that I totally disagree.

01-09-2015, 10:36 AM
(01-09-2015 09:23 AM)tosh123 Wrote:  
(01-08-2015 04:29 AM)dewet Wrote:  Why not use SPMC v14 beta 2 based on Kodi?
People using old SPMC's will have issues.
http://semperpax.be/owncloud/public.php?...e65bec3c3d

It doesn't fix the important issues:
- 4k playback will always scaled down to 1080p or 720p (depends on settings in chameleon/Android itself)
- different 4k encodings wasn't decoded proper
- TrueHD and other advanced soundformats doesn't work
- microstuttering on different fps-rates

errors like the randomly sound crackles on DTS or DD doesn't count here to be fair, i'm shure they there fixed, sometimes.

Why not accept the fact that it's a step by step process and SPMC 14.2 has made real progress over the 13.4 release...
4K playback needs to be fixed but the issue has little or no user impact as there is no real content out there, just some stuff for testing.
True HD is still an issue but fps/refreshrate stutter has improved in 14.2

01-09-2015, 12:18 PM
(01-09-2015 10:36 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  4K playback needs to be fixed but the issue has little or no user impact as there is no real content out there, just some stuff for testing.

For me it had a big impact and was purchase decision. All other things do a $30 Raspberry until now in the same quality or better as the $149 chameleon yet.
01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
(01-09-2015 12:18 PM)tosh123 Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 10:36 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  4K playback needs to be fixed but the issue has little or no user impact as there is no real content out there, just some stuff for testing.

For me it had a big impact and was purchase decision. All other things do a $30 Raspberry until now in the same quality or better as the $149 chameleon yet.

actually the raspberry pi will NOT do everything that the Chameleon will do, I know because i use both

stuff the raspberry pi wont do that the chameleon can
Full Bluray ISO Network Streaming with Raspberry Pi - nope lots of stuttering
DVD menus - nope full of bugs
Running high quality skins such as aeon nox - nope kills the cpu
3D - haha as if!
Running addons such as sports devil - works but so slow its practically unusable
01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
So, 3D ISO's do play in 3D mode (frame-packed)?
01-09-2015, 06:43 PM
Yes and no.

On the latest official firmware (haven't tried the new beta) video in the native player is in 3D and playback does not stutter. But, there is a known bug with audio, the player cannot play DTS (means most of my files have no audio). There are also problems with subtitles. It is often impossible to turn them off. The player is very crash prone if you attempt to search/scan through the video file. Finally, to get to your file if it is on the network you have to browse via a file manager that scans your samba servers very slowly each time you use it.
01-09-2015, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 07:13 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-09-2015 06:43 PM)malcolmbarr Wrote:  Yes and no.

On the latest official firmware (haven't tried the new beta) video in the native player is in 3D and playback does not stutter. But, there is a known bug with audio, the player cannot play DTS (means most of my files have no audio). There are also problems with subtitles. It is often impossible to turn them off. The player is very crash prone if you attempt to search/scan through the video file. Finally, to get to your file if it is on the network you have to browse via a file manager that scans your samba servers very slowly each time you use it.

What do you mean the Internal Video Player cannot play DTS?

Sorry but Internal Video Player plays DTS very good, but i think you mean if you do NOT
use a Receiver, and only use the TV audio.
01-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I have a problem with 3D blue rae ISO even with the lastest firm 1. 0. 11 beta. With internal video player it doesn't show 3D picture correctly while the subtitles are 2D. XBMC player only play it in 2D. Any idea how to fix that thing?

Also I would like to propose some modification to the stuff if they are possible for future firms:

- auto shut down the player after set time by user if you don't touch your remote control
- shut down all external hdds after you shut down openhour - there is no point to work
- add settings for the internal video player - subtitle decoding ect. Rolleyes
01-10-2015, 08:46 AM
(01-09-2015 07:11 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  
(01-09-2015 06:43 PM)malcolmbarr Wrote:  Yes and no.

What do you mean the Internal Video Player cannot play DTS?

Sorry but Internal Video Player plays DTS very good, but i think you mean if you do NOT
use a Receiver, and only use the TV audio.

You are right, I am talking about when connected directly to a TV. I was not aware that DTS was working if connected to a receiver: a problem with DTS has been acknowledged as a bug previously, and I thought it applied across the board.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  20160329 (1.0.41) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware openhouradmin 37 29,938 06-04-2017 09:57 PM
Last Post: Willem55
  20150213 (1.0.13) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware openhouradmin 169 142,460 02-24-2016 02:47 PM
Last Post: Bloodsack
  20150601 (1.0.27) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware openhouradmin 120 95,402 11-20-2015 08:11 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Firmware Update News OpenHourSupport 81 64,443 10-06-2015 01:48 PM
Last Post: Willem55
  20150420 (1.0.24) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware openhouradmin 27 30,073 04-30-2015 12:49 PM
Last Post: openhouradmin
  20150401 (1.0.23) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware openhouradmin 75 54,480 04-30-2015 12:49 PM
Last Post: openhouradmin
  20141119 (1.0.7) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware developer2 174 189,342 12-17-2014 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kyocero