Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

[Fixed] Newsgroup downloads cause screen to lose display every 5 secs.
12-30-2014, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2015 09:50 PM by AmigaWolf.)
[Fixed] Newsgroup downloads cause screen to lose display every 5 secs.
(12-30-2014 08:13 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  both disk have their own power supply?

Have almost the same problem, when i use a USB Hard Drive and use Power NZB to download from news groups to my
USB Hard Drive my screen goes black every +/- 5 a 10 seconds, never EVER had this with other Android devices i used.

Hope Cloud Media is going to fix this problem with Firmware 1.0.9, hope it's not a hardware problem (or Rockchip RK3288).

UPDATE: maybe the newer version i now have downloaded will work, was using a older version.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-30-2014, 11:40 PM
RE: [split] Newsgroup downloads cause screen to lose display every 5 secs.
I've split this post off as the thread where you posted was not about a distortion to the display every 5 secs it was about a second USB HDD not connecting.

You have some expectation that cloud media know of your problem and are busy trying to fix it for the firmware release after next. How do you know this have you had conversation with support?

I ask as I'm also considering trying using the OHC for downloads via newsgroups and have a large SSD that I got in the sales on its way. I use NZB360 on my Android devices for my NMT NZBGET install. So I'm going to have to look at an Android download rather than simply push APP like NZB360.
12-30-2014, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 12:02 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(12-30-2014 11:40 PM)chris57 Wrote:  I've split this post off as the thread where you posted was not about a distortion to the display every 5 secs it was about a second USB HDD not connecting.

You have some expectation that cloud media know of your problem and are busy trying to fix it for the firmware release after next. How do you know this have you had conversation with support?

I ask as I'm also considering trying using the OHC for downloads via newsgroups and have a large SSD that I got in the sales on its way. I use NZB360 on my Android devices for my NMT NZBGET install. So I'm going to have to look at an Android download rather than simply push APP like NZB360.

Thats what you guys are for, so you moderators ans such can tell it to Cloud Media.

UPDATE: Looks like it is fixed in POWER NZB v3.1, and WOW what is he FAST and stable, i get my full 5,60 MB/sec
with 20 Connections, and that with SSL :-)

When most Android Devices are to slow to use 20 Connections at the same time :-)

It's really a fantastic App and that all free :-)
12-31-2014, 03:48 AM
Well i cant see my present 0.8Mb/s connection stretching it Big Grin

As moderators we are here to make this place a good place to visit and that we all help one another. We will try to help with bugs but its not our role. We do try to bring confirmed major bugs to OH/CM attention.

For potential bugs its always best to have a thread for each one. Then confirmation from others and discussion on possible causes to try and home in on the possible causes. If OH post in the thread then hopefully they acknowledge it and add it to their list of bugs. If not then the thread starter or other poster should report it to OH via support and link to the forum thread. Always provide as much detail as possible on hardware, settings, and other relevent points.
12-31-2014, 08:39 AM
(12-30-2014 11:50 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  Thats what you guys are for, so you moderators and as such can tell it to Cloud Media.

you better forget about that.. I'm not a messenger boy.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-31-2014, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 08:29 PM by AmigaWolf.)
UPDATE: it's not the App it's the Open Hour Chameleon.

I also have a problem with Firmware 1.0.8 Beta, when i push my power button (from Standby) on my remote today i had
normal screen and then it went black, and had to go to Standby again and then came out of Standby, and some times my
screen goes black and 2 second later it comes on again, had NEVER this problem with the older Firmwares.

And i have read that also Firmware 1.0.9 RC have this problem, this is really bad, normally thinks get better but now some
things get worse.

It feels to me it's because the Open Hour Chameleon have a weak power supply (5V / 2000mA).

They had to brings this TV BOX out with a 5V / 3000mA power supply.
01-01-2015, 04:26 PM
And away over the hills we go again.Big Grin
01-02-2015, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 06:25 PM by schumaku.)
(12-31-2014 08:24 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  It feels to me it's because the Open Hour Chameleon have a weak power supply (5V / 2000mA).

Per the RK3288 Datasheet, there are just two USB 2.0 host pots available. As per the USB enumeration, we discover only one of these is used and linked to a Genesys USB 2.0 Hub. So the max power available on all three interfaces can unlikely exceed per port 2.5W (5V @ 500 mA).

In any case, it's known that the USB 2.0 power specs are not sufficient to drive performant (and high power consuming) USB 2.0 HDD drives reliably, that's why many of these drives come with split cables on the USB host side, allowing to use an (independent powered!) second USB port.

The USB 2.0 power supply limit can also be exceeded when using USB 3.0 HDD - which can request (the USB 2.0 won't be able to comply...) and draw up to 900 mA (4.5W) - what is not available, and can lead to issues, too. This might easily exceed either the power supply capacity - or the voltage regulators go belly up for a short time. Get a NAS to drive storage...

When looking at the CPU loads while operating SPMC or Kodi I've my doubts that it is smart to (ab?)use a network media player as a download station with one or multiple HDDs.

No doubts, attempting to get more power than available to the USB ports can bring down the power supply or much ore likely the voltage regulators. Easy to test by using a 5V/2.5A or 5V/3A power supply... To drive storage, to operate a download system ... better get a NAS in any case.
01-02-2015, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 08:43 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-02-2015 06:18 PM)schumaku Wrote:  
(12-31-2014 08:24 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  It feels to me it's because the Open Hour Chameleon have a weak power supply (5V / 2000mA).

Per the RK3288 Datasheet, there are just two USB 2.0 host pots available. As per the USB enumeration, we discover only one of these is used and linked to a Genesys USB 2.0 Hub. So the max power available on all three interfaces can unlikely exceed per port 2.5W (5V @ 500 mA).

In any case, it's known that the USB 2.0 power specs are not sufficient to drive performant (and high power consuming) USB 2.0 HDD drives reliably, that's why many of these drives come with split cables on the USB host side, allowing to use an (independent powered!) second USB port.

The USB 2.0 power supply limit can also be exceeded when using USB 3.0 HDD - which can request (the USB 2.0 won't be able to comply...) and draw up to 900 mA (4.5W) - what is not available, and can lead to issues, too. This might easily exceed either the power supply capacity - or the voltage regulators go belly up for a short time. Get a NAS to drive storage...

When looking at the CPU loads while operating SPMC or Kodi I've my doubts that it is smart to (ab?)use a network media player as a download station with one or multiple HDDs.

No doubts, attempting to get more power than available to the USB ports can bring down the power supply or much ore likely the voltage regulators. Easy to test by using a 5V/2.5A or 5V/3A power supply... To drive storage, to operate a download system ... better get a NAS in any case.

I have a NAS but after a Firmware update i cannot download from usernet with my NAS, one of my family works in the
Network business and i gone ask if he has time to make my my NAS Usernet compatible again.

Thats why i use my Open Hour Chameleon now to download with, and downloading it strait to my 1TB 2,5" Hard Drive.
01-02-2015, 09:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 09:22 PM by skarbd.)
(01-02-2015 08:29 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  Thats why i use my Open Hour Chameleon now to download with, and downloading it strait to my 1TB 2,5" Hard Drive.

Out of interest, how are people finding the repair and unpacking times with the OHC and usenet files?

Does anyone know if there is somewhere where I can compare the Atom D510 and the Rockchip RK3288 to get a measure of there respective grunt?
01-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Have an eye on the popular 2014 2.5" HDD power usage (example - http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2014-...tmlThrough - max write throughput) you find many exceeding the 2.5W limit (without the USB2SATA chip!) available as per the USB 2.0 standard - unless where some staggering spin-up methods are implemented, the spin-up from the [potentially USB enclosure triggered] spin-down can be affected, too.

This might explain the power supply and much more the internal power regulator limits you might hit. No doubts, effects of the overload to the player itself could potentially be avoided by more complex and expensive hardware design.

Quote:...my 1TB 2,5" Hard Drive.
Very informative... Angry
01-02-2015, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 10:42 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-02-2015 09:19 PM)skarbd Wrote:  
(01-02-2015 08:29 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  Thats why i use my Open Hour Chameleon now to download with, and downloading it strait to my 1TB 2,5" Hard Drive.

Out of interest, how are people finding the repair and unpacking times with the OHC and usenet files?

Does anyone know if there is somewhere where I can compare the Atom D510 and the Rockchip RK3288 to get a measure of there respective grunt?

The repair and unpacking times are not that fast, but thats because of some slow controller chip hardware
i think, because there are Rockchip RK3288 out there that have 2x faster Write and Read speeds.
01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
RE: [Fixed] Newsgroup downloads cause screen to lose display every 5 secs.
UPDATE: With a Power Adapter in my 1TB 2,5" Hard Drive i don't get the problems anymore.

The problem is with the weak Open Hour Chameleon Power Adopter.

Wish they used a 5v 3A Power Adopter :-(
01-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Its standard not weak, you seem to blame the player for just about everything but this one falls squarely at your feet.

We always say here get an externally powered usb hdd. I really cannot believe you were using one, especially for downloading usenet with paring/unraring and your quick internet connection, without using external power.

Even those split USB cables allowing you to use two usb sockets are no replacement for external power.

You'll need to review most of you use if its been with using a usb without external power.

Incidentally i've just bought a powered usb hub and had to pay extra for 'red high speed charging' usb ports over the standard usb3.0 sockets.
01-24-2015, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2015 11:37 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-24-2015 08:45 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Its standard not weak, you seem to blame the player for just about everything but this one falls squarely at your feet.

We always say here get an externally powered usb hdd. I really cannot believe you were using one, especially for downloading usenet with paring/unraring and your quick internet connection, without using external power.

Even those split USB cables allowing you to use two usb sockets are no replacement for external power.

You'll need to review most of you use if its been with using a usb without external power.

Incidentally i've just bought a powered usb hub and had to pay extra for 'red high speed charging' usb ports over the standard usb3.0 sockets.

I say it's the Open Hour Chameleon or the Power supply of the Open Hour Chameleon, because i never had this issue on
the Minix Neo X8-H, so YES it has to do with the Open Hour Chameleon and NOT my external Hard Drive.