Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

[HOW TO] Root the OHC | access SD card from PC
12-28-2014, 12:01 AM
[HOW TO] Root the OHC | access SD card from PC
The Question I read most "how can i acces from PC"....

Root the OHC with this file
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5v3si6...z_root.zip
inside the zip is a update.zip and a instructions.txt
From http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...-Root-Tool

install Samba sever
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...resh.samba

Now you can connect to the OHC from you PC
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to meowmoo for this post
12-28-2014, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 12:07 AM by AmigaWolf.)
RE: [HOW TO] Root the OHC | access SD card from PC
Or just use a FTP Server App, is very easy and you do NOT need to root your Open Hour Chameleon.

I use THIS one.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to AmigaWolf for this post
12-28-2014, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2014 12:29 PM by chris57.)
I would Sticky this usually as it is an often repeated request for the reason stated in the thread and there are other requirements requiring Root access for example for EXT4 write or access to my 64GB microSD card in the rear slot I have to Root my OHC.

The only thing holding me back is OH's statement that owners should not Root their device. I also saw something on EXT$ mounting in the beta 1.08 release notes but havent tested it or heard feedback on the forum on it.

Now why or what is the downside was not clearly explained and as meowmoo says to get SMB access from a PC to the OHC you have to Root as the Android SMB Server APPS require Root access.
12-28-2014, 11:01 AM
Do you lose root after each beta/offical update from open hour?
12-28-2014, 12:47 PM
probably.... but rooting is so simple.... remember that if manufacturer delivers rooted devices they will not be accepted for certain apps or services..
On the other hand rooting is unnecessary on this box... still need to see a good reason on this box to go rooting it.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-31-2014, 12:36 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 12:38 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(12-28-2014 12:47 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  probably.... but rooting is so simple.... remember that if manufacturer delivers rooted devices they will not be accepted for certain apps or services..
On the other hand rooting is unnecessary on this box... still need to see a good reason on this box to go rooting it.

You need ROOT:

1. Tweak the Dark Corners of Android.

2. Using Sixaxis Controller App to use a Playstation 3 Joypad.

3. Back Up Your Phone for Seamless Transitions (only works with ROOT).

4. Unlock Hidden Features and Install "Incompatible" Apps.

5. Automate Everything.

6. Boost Your device Speed.

7. Block Ads in Any App.

8. Remove Preinstalled Crapware

9. Truly Own Your Device

And many MANY other things.

Top 10 Reasons to Root Your Android Deviece

Thats why we need root, it's NOT unnecessary on this box :-)
12-31-2014, 08:30 AM
1... vague
2... is using a Playstation 3 Joypad a improvement?
3... transitions to what?
4... what "hidden features" and what "Incompatible" Apps?
5... what can you automate with Root that you can't right now?
6... marginally if you know what you're doing.. but it's already the fastest mediaplayer on the block.
7... you mean those apps where you get ads if you don't pay the $2..
8... what crapware did you find that did not uninstall?
9... vague

Still want to see a good reason to root that box.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
12-31-2014, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2014 07:50 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(12-31-2014 08:30 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  1... vague
2... is using a Playstation 3 Joypad a improvement?
3... transitions to what?
4... what "hidden features" and what "Incompatible" Apps?
5... what can you automate with Root that you can't right now?
6... marginally if you know what you're doing.. but it's already the fastest mediaplayer on the block.
7... you mean those apps where you get ads if you don't pay the $2..
8... what crapware did you find that did not uninstall?
9... vague

Still want to see a good reason to root that box.

Wow why are you a Moderator, whats the reason you talk like that to people or just can't read
the link i also put in my post?

In the link you can READ why it's very handy to have a Rooted device, and is Google so hard to use,
just type in Google "Why is it a good reason to root your device" or something like that.
01-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Being a Moderator does not mean that we cannot have an opinion.

Just because someone disagrees with your opinion dont go on the attack, there was nothing personal in Willems post you took it that way. I've mentioned this before please all I ask is that you reign it in a bit.
01-01-2015, 04:41 PM
(12-31-2014 07:49 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  Wow why are you a Moderator, whats the reason you talk like that to people or just can't read

In the link you can READ why it's very handy to have a Rooted device, and is Google so hard to use,
just type in Google "Why is it a good reason to root your device" or something like that.

Hey... I just asked for a good reason to Root the Chameleon... I know about rooting a android mobile but for this box I don't see a reason as it is open already.

But it's clear you don't know either and are just shooting off your mouth again.
As for you deciding what a moderator is and what I should or can do... this is my last warning... next time you lose a discussion and go for the person I'll kick you off this forum.

01-01-2015, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 07:20 PM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-01-2015 04:41 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  
(12-31-2014 07:49 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  Wow why are you a Moderator, whats the reason you talk like that to people or just can't read

Hey... I just asked for a good reason to Root the Chameleon... I know about rooting a android mobile but for this box I don't see a reason as it is open already.

But it's clear you don't know either and are just shooting off your mouth again.
As for you deciding what a moderator is and what I should or can do... this is my last warning... next time you lose a discussion and go for the person I'll kick you off this forum.

Sorry to say but the Open Hour Chameleon is almost the same a a Phone with Android,
the only difference is that you can Call and SMS with a Phone and that it has a display
and speakers built in, and for the rest is a Android TV BOX the same.

And the questions he (Willem55) was answering me he already knew if he only looks at my LINK.

And sorry the Open Hour Chameleon is not open, open is if people have the source code of the Chipset
of Rockchip RK3288 so that they can make Android 5 build with CM 12 or something, and so we can have
Hardware acceleration in Linux, thats open, not that you can flash firmwares on a SD-Card, because you
can do that with almost all Android TV BOXES, also when they use internal storage.

But i quit taking to you two, it does not make sense to talk to you anymore.
01-01-2015, 07:46 PM
(01-01-2015 07:12 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  

Sorry to say but the Open Hour Chameleon is almost the same a a Phone with Android,
the only difference is that you can Call and SMS with a Phone and that it has a display

And the questions he (Willem55) was answering me he already knew if he only looks at my LINK.

And sorry the Open Hour Chameleon is not open, open is if people have the source code of the Chipset
of Rockchip RK3288 so that they can make Android 5 build with CM 12 or something, and so we can have
Hardware acceleration in Linux, thats open, not that you can flash firmwares on a SD-Card, because you
can do that with almost all Android TV BOXES, also when they use internal storage.

I think you need to chill out and relax, or you might find yourself banned from the forum. Why do you take everything so personal?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
01-02-2015, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 01:07 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(01-01-2015 07:46 PM)F6B_Rider Wrote:  
(01-01-2015 07:12 PM)AmigaWolf Wrote:  

I think you need to chill out and relax, or you might find yourself banned from the forum. Why do you take everything so personal?

Sorry had a bad day today, but i will try to chill out and relax a bit more :-)
01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
The only thing I could say, is if you think your post is getting heated, is to give it 15 minutes before pressing the Post button. It's amazing how a little bit of space between writing something and re-reading it, can provide a little bit of clarity.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to skarbd for this post
02-19-2015, 04:16 PM
I take inspiration from this discussion without opening a new one.
hoping to solve, I connected one hard drive to a USB port of the OHC, now would I transfer files from Windows Seven to 'hard drives connected to the OHC, I installed FTP Server / OHC with Seven use the FileZilla client, when we connects to the OHC FileZilla is open the whole structure of sdcard OHC, but not the reference folder "/ mnt /" and that 'the folder where Android will appear' my HD uSB Storage

In settings FTP Server has been set to the path / mnt / sdcard.

In essence you are unable to display the folder / mnt / where is the path to browse to USB Storage and transfer files.

Tip to solve ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Problem with 16GB card for Android? sptkyle 6 3,506 06-27-2015 09:43 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Broken Android SD card images unrealdtc 6 4,401 02-19-2015 11:35 PM
Last Post: F6B_Rider