Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

OS A Piece Of Junk!!!!
12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
RE: A Piece Of Junk!!!!
Sorry, but I have seen this too much of late (last couple of years), a company is under so much pressure from the investors to start a revenue stream that they push a product to market way before it is ready, thus forcing the customer to be the test monkey's for it. This is alright for the hobbyists and 'geeks' out there, but for the consumer that only wants a product that works as it is advertized too this is a nightmare. It would not have killed them to have 100 beta testers and spend an extra month or two to get the box working correctly (at least the basic media player) before releasing it, at the very least it should have been released as a Beta with a warning that a moderate level of tech and/or Android programming experience was required.
This is my first Android device and judging by the experience I am not in the least impressed. Having been a PC & MAC tech I am able to do all of the 'tinkering' being discussed on the forum and get the box working to a moderate degree but it really needs the OS finalized as it is still in beta, and might reach RC1 with the next release. I will rephrase the title as 'The OS is a Piece of Junk', as the hardware is fine.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
12-11-2014, 09:02 PM
RE: OS A Piece Of Junk!!!!
(12-11-2014 08:46 PM)F6B_Rider Wrote:  Sorry, but I have seen this too much of late (last couple of years), a company is under so much pressure from the investors to start a revenue stream that they push a product to market way before it is ready, thus forcing the customer to be the test monkey's for it. This is alright for the hobbyists and 'geeks' out there, but for the consumer that only wants a product that works as it is advertized too this is a nightmare. It would not have killed them to have 100 beta testers and spend an extra month or two to get the box working correctly (at least the basic media player) before releasing it, at the very least it should have been released as a Beta with a warning that a moderate level of tech and/or Android programming experience was required.
This is my first Android device and judging by the experience I am not in the least impressed. Having been a PC & MAC tech I am able to do all of the 'tinkering' being discussed on the forum and get the box working to a moderate degree but it really needs the OS finalized as it is still in beta, and might reach RC1 with the next release. I will rephrase the title as 'The OS is a Piece of Junk', as the hardware is fine.

And again i agree with everything F6B_Rider says.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to AmigaWolf for this post
12-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Media players along with these boxes require significant time. It's always been the case and it remains to this day. Frustrating especially if its your first time and were expecting the purchase to be like purchasing a motorbike but never has been and never will as long as chip manufacturers release chips too early.

These boxes do require a lot of knowledge to get up and running. None of my mates could have managed to get it going I know that. Android is not a good platform for a media player yet. The big question is will that improve with GTV/Lolipop or will someone get Linux/XBMC running quicker on the player.
12-12-2014, 02:29 AM
(12-12-2014 12:22 AM)szkzs Wrote:  Dear F6B_Rider!

I like to tell you, that I wrote my post, only for the interest of
"Good Forum Moral" .... that we need to maintain, to be a Good
Place to come here! Especially that you are, already a Big Help
to it!

It is not my place to criticised anybody, knowing that I am "faaar" from
perfect!

And I really hope that in the end, everybody gonna find "happiness" in their
OHC players!

Take Care! szkzs Smile

No offense taken Szkzs, my post was mis-titled as I did not mean to knock the hardware and it came out that way. I like the hardware and the concept of an open platform, I am just frustrated with the 'to soon release' and Cloud Media's failure to admit it was not ready for prime time. I am sure at some point it will all come together, it was advertized in glowing terms, but it just barely plays media at all. I especially did not like the 'XBMC Ready' logo which lead almost all but the most cynical to believe it would work with XBMC/KODI. And foolish me, I believed them, apparently there is no such thing as 'Truth in Advertizing' in China.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
12-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Quote: I believed them, apparently there is no such thing as 'Truth in Advertizing' in China.

OMG! Cloud Media is not from China.

www_cloudmedia_com/aboutus/about-cloudmedia
12-12-2014, 11:09 AM
As compared to the truth in advertizing anywhere else?

Does the truth need advertizing..? Rolleyes

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-12-2014, 05:28 PM
(12-12-2014 06:17 AM)williamtsang Wrote:  
Quote: I believed them, apparently there is no such thing as 'Truth in Advertizing' in China.

OMG! Cloud Media is not from China.

www_cloudmedia_com/aboutus/about-cloudmedia

The box is designed in Malaysia and made in CHINA, and in the US we have a 'Bait and switch' Law. If you advertize one thing and deliver another you are subject to prosecution.
12-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Don't that is applicable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-12-2014, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 06:16 PM by F6B_Rider.)
(12-12-2014 05:49 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Don't that is applicable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Did you read the part about it being employed in 'Other' contexts?
And both the box and the Wifi Dongle were sold to me by Syabas Technology Hong Kong, last time I looked that was China.
12-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Head Office has always been in Malaysia from Syabas early days, now Cloud Media, back in 90's with their early media players and their first carnation of the myihome server software. Then came 2007 with the NMT again with HO in Malaysia. I can remember HiJack from MPC doing a visit to Malaysia and posting some nice photo's. So any Chinese operation is owned and controlled by Malaysia.

They use a third party in China to manufacturer and have an office that has been in Shenzen and is now in another part of China that I cannot remember. It controls shipping and quality of the shipped product. There used to be a USA RMA center but that's gone so any legal issue is a complete non-starter and always has been unless you fancy your chances in Malaysian or Chinese law courts and have thousands to waste. RMA is now done via a third party in Germany.

I have a feeling we will have someone now come up with the 'fit for purpose' argument usually happens.Smile
12-12-2014, 10:46 PM
The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.

So how is that applicable to this?

I did not argue on "China" just the use of truth and advertising in one sentence..

12-12-2014, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2014 11:06 PM by F6B_Rider.)
(12-12-2014 10:46 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.

So how is that applicable to this?

I did not argue on "China" just the use of truth and advertising in one sentence..

Not going to argue with you, you are to literal and inflexible, noticed it before, like a dog with a bone. In the US it is used to refer to anyone who promises you one thing and delivers another.... leave it at that.

And, as a FYI we now have a Popcorn Hour/Open Hour service center on the West Coast at:

Thundercloud Services LLC
43195 Mission Blvd. Suite B-1
Fremont, CA 94539
[+] 1 user says Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
12-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Do me a favor and re-read post #2.
I think we have a very good argument with cloudmedia regarding the state of this box but bait-and-switch has nothing to do with it.
And yeah I'm Dutch but we already done that one.

the newly formed Thundercloud Services LLC in Fremont, California is heading up their OTT division and providing logistical support for the North America region.
http://www.cloudmedia.com/1ott/

Sorry for being a stickler for legal detail but otherwise it would be just hot air.

peace

12-06-2015, 11:51 AM
(12-09-2014 10:57 PM)chris57 Wrote:  I dont think there's much point in expecting it to run stably or as a good AV device until GoogleTV/Lollipop comes out. Reading before the RK3288 chip players were even released it just seems that until they come with GTV/Lollipop its kind of like King Canute standing their demanding the tide not come in.

I know you're a mod and all, but seriously don't blame software faults on google when other boxes has it fixed. This is a rokchip/openhour problem!
My OHC is in the drawer, as it doesn't work - maybe someday it will get fixed and i will take it out but not as is.. not by a long shot.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to KristianDK for this post
12-06-2015, 02:10 PM
responding to a 1 year old post is a bit strange don't you think?
I'm not even going to comment the user who has given thanks for that.Rolleyes