Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

OS A Piece Of Junk!!!!
12-09-2014, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 08:46 PM by F6B_Rider.)
OS A Piece Of Junk!!!!
I am just about fed up with this sorry excuse of a so-called media player. Now it is freezing solid and crashing back to Android. Somebody REALLY needs to get their stuff together. I feel like going on every forum and board and imploring everyone not to waste their hard earned money on this half-baked device. I am so sorry I gave them my money. I am not going to touch it again until they get it fixed, Cloud Media should be ashamed of themselves for foisting this thing on the consumer as a media player, it should have been sold as a hobbyist device that requires tinkering to no end, then it still doesn't work.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users say Thank You to F6B_Rider for this post
12-09-2014, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 11:43 AM by Willem55.)
RE: A Piece Of Junk!!!!
I would call it work in progress.
Like most any other media player I bought or build in the last 20 years, so I'm used to the frustration of the first months.
I've learned to put any new box next to the old box on the same AVR display combo, one remote button press switches me from one to the other.
But I agree at this time the value add is only the capability of doing android stuff on the big screen.... for any audio and video my A-400 player still rules supreme.
It's nice to see what the kodi jukebox and add-on's can do but their obvious dislike for android hardware support does not promise a good future, maybe android 5 can change that attitude.
In the long run only lubuntu or openelec is the way Rockchip should go, by releasing the best kernel hardware drivers and patches they can create.

I agree that Cloud Media should get it's act together ASAP by either getting the right upgrades to us within the next 2 weeks (before Christmas) or by putting a clear warning on their sales site explaining the current limitations..

A update from Cloudmedia on the state of development at Rockchip would be useful now.
Can they get us a working solution within the next two weeks?
Is the focus on android 5 lollipop and TV, if so are they confident and what is the ETA?
What Linux effort is made to get independent from Google android and when can we expect a working solution that matches the A-400 in functionality?

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to Willem55 for this post
12-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Yes, I bought it as a hobbyist and "open" device. However, up to today, Open Hour refused to publish useful information on how to "open" what they have provided (suspect breaking Apache license and GPL terms) - related requests here in the forum and to the support channel are unanswered. Instead of making things open - they establish a custom firmware sub-forum - and expect geeks collecting information from the net, wasting time on trial and error, ... this is a bad joke.

I don't fully agree the comparison with the A-4x0 - it's not a closed Sigma Designs box (where Syabas obviously has excellent connections and insight...). Here they have to become open - not just put on the open label.

There was no update on the Rock Chip GIT for rk3288 and Android 4.4.2 for more than ten days. This might be a sign RK is spending some effort on Lollipop.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to schumaku for this post
12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm just comparing it to my A400 from a usability and AV quality perspective and if my content is better running on an OHC or a NMT... for now NMT.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-09-2014, 06:58 PM
I have put the LBB back on the main TV as my wife might divorce me if I left it there. She loves here shows and the freezing and now crashing has her giving me the evil eye. So the OH is in my office until, and if, they get it all worked out, at least to the point where I can watch a show all the way through without video issues.
12-09-2014, 09:38 PM
That motor bike would be a piece of junk if driven incorrectly into a wall. Open hour hasn't even past its driving license yet but there is hope.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
12-09-2014, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 10:39 PM by F6B_Rider.)
(12-09-2014 09:38 PM)Daveydguk Wrote:  That motor bike would be a piece of junk if driven incorrectly into a wall. Open hour hasn't even past its driving license yet but there is hope.

Yes, but the big difference is that the Motorcycle WORKED perfectly 'Out of the Box', can't say that for the OH.

PS. Is there any CORRECT way to drive into a wall??
12-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I dont think there's much point in expecting it to run stably or as a good AV device until GoogleTV/Lollipop comes out. Reading before the RK3288 chip players were even released it just seems that until they come with GTV/Lollipop its kind of like King Canute standing their demanding the tide not come in.
12-09-2014, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 11:15 PM by Daveydguk.)
Keep the handle bars straight and full throttle.

Dont forger to jump off last minute !!

Hopefully it's one of them Japanese paper thin walls.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
12-10-2014, 08:58 AM
This is how I feel sometimes when using the Chameleon next to the A400

12-10-2014, 07:52 PM
(12-09-2014 09:38 PM)Daveydguk Wrote:  Open hour hasn't even past its driving license yet but there is hope.
Ignoring the OSF and FSF licensing requirements might drive this project straight to a wall. If we won't see the required publications soon - and maintained with every update available - I'll report this project to the OSF, to FSF, and to Google for suspect license violations.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to schumaku for this post
12-11-2014, 01:46 AM
(12-10-2014 07:52 PM)schumaku Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 09:38 PM)Daveydguk Wrote:  Open hour hasn't even past its driving license yet but there is hope.
Ignoring the OSF and FSF licensing requirements might drive this project straight to a wall. If we won't see the required publications soon - and maintained with every update available - I'll report this project to the OSF, to FSF, and to Google for suspect license violations.

Well, I just hope we get a stable device before you snitch us all off and turn the OHC into a paperweight.
12-11-2014, 07:56 AM
(12-10-2014 07:52 PM)schumaku Wrote:  

So far it's only Rockchip code and you are just blowing hot air in the direction of Cloudmedia.
In another thread you state that you've asked them for source code 3 days ago in a support request and you start claiming injustice... stop trolling.(formal warning).
Rockchip code is available if you care to google for it.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2014 10:43 AM by openhouradmin.)
Hi Schumaku,

Our apologies that we couldn't answer your ticket sooner than we wanted as we are trying to gather information from rock chip.

I am sure my support staff has answered your question.

For the benefit of others, the unofficial tool chain for rock chip release is here - http://git.linux-rockchip.org/

Also, this title does not seems right to be in this forum.

I am moving it away.

Thanks
12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Quoted and replied over there -> Open Hour (and RockChip) Android Open Source - git in my own thread.

@OpenHourSupport: Sorry for my bad behavior spreading my topics away.

Regards,
-Kurt.