Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Support for 3rd Party USB Bluetooth Adapters?
11-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Support for 3rd Party USB Bluetooth Adapters?
I had a spare USB Bluetooth adapter sitting around - I believe it is a Cable Matters adapter (part B00EW3WS9M on Amazon) - that I plugged in. The device is recognized partially by the OHC, as the "USB Host Viewer" app from the Play Store gives a bunch of information regarding the device - but I still can't turn on the Bluetooth support in the advanced settings or pair any devices. Here is the output:

Code:
0a12:0001 Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Device: /dev/bus/usb/003/009
  Vendor: 0x0a12 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
  Product: 0x0001 Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
  Class: 0xe0 Wireless
  SubClass: 0x01 Radio Frequency
  Protocol: 0x01 Bluetooth

There is bunch more that follows about interfaces and protocols - I can post that as well if it would be helpful.

I am curious - what are the chances of adding support for devices like these? Is there something the community can do to help out?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 08:48 AM
RE: Support for 3rd Party USB Bluetooth Adapters?
More Bluetooth and Wifi drivers please.Smile

You will need more chipset drivers for wider support. There's also the question of bluetooth game controllers as well. I'm hoping they add more than just the chipset in the OH Bluetooth dongle as its too expensive for my liking although it is AC Wifi IIRC.
11-22-2014, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 09:17 AM by Daveydguk.)
Either add BT drivers or make the OH dongle more accessible at a fair price to users through popcorn shops in EU.

Either add BT drivers or make the OH dongle more accessible at a fair price to users through popcorn shops in EU.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
11-22-2014, 10:56 PM
I agree, I haven't purchased it as with the 'over the top' shipping, almost as much as the unit itself, I can't bring myself to pay that, not because I can't afford it, but because I feel that if I am going to be robbed then at least you should be pointing a gun at me while you do it. So I am going with an RF USB game controller that costs the same, with free shipping from Amazon. I already have a USB RF mini keyboard with track pad that works very well. I don't need Wi-Fi as I am hard wired and I can't see spending $40 for a BT dongle.
11-22-2014, 11:29 PM
(11-22-2014 09:07 AM)Daveydguk Wrote:  Either add BT drivers or make the OH dongle more accessible at a fair price to users through popcorn shops in EU.

They are available on the German and French reseller sites for around 10euros shipping plus 29euros cost.
11-22-2014, 11:48 PM
£30 for bluetooth. Compared to £5 bluetooth usb dongle.

Dont be a plonker Rodney.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
11-23-2014, 12:28 AM
You've lost me you earlier post asked about availability at EU PCH/resellers which they now are. Shipping from them is 10 euros with zero taxes compared to something like $25 from CM with the addition of import vat.

The CM one is not just bluetooth its wifi ac which means it has an expensive chip within it. Rodders to compare you need a dual bluetooth dongle with AC wireless.

I already have a bluetooth device with its own bluetooth dongle that doesn't work. Would love to see some kind of universal bluetooth driver out there so we can use these types of devices. Hoping that they may bring something in officially as game controllers also need drivers. Otherwise it'll be down to trawling the sites and apps to look for something that may or may not do the job.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to chris57 for this post
11-23-2014, 01:45 AM
(11-23-2014 12:28 AM)chris57 Wrote:  You've lost me you earlier post asked about availability at EU PCH/resellers which they now are. Shipping from them is 10 euros with zero taxes compared to something like $25 from CM with the addition of import vat.

The CM one is not just bluetooth its wifi ac which means it has an expensive chip within it. Rodders to compare you need a dual bluetooth dongle with AC wireless.

I already have a bluetooth device with its own bluetooth dongle that doesn't work. Would love to see some kind of universal bluetooth driver out there so we can use these types of devices. Hoping that they may bring something in officially as game controllers also need drivers. Otherwise it'll be down to trawling the sites and apps to look for something that may or may not do the job.

That's the issue I have. I have 2 BT dongle's but neither is supported by the OH, but everything else sees them. I think Cloud Media has a big iron in that fire and is making a bit on the 'exclusivity' of this device. I am sure there was a deliberate decision to not make it compatible (the OH) just to up the revenue stream. That kind of marketing just Pi**es me off.
11-23-2014, 02:29 AM
In the NMT its not beyond those very talented members to add drivers, they added wifi drivers for other chipsets.

Im hoping that this may be achievable with a universal driver added. l know space and the huge number of drivers you would need to cover each and every device was the reason for the limited numbers on the NMT but that shouldnt be as precious as it was in the NMT early series.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Using Wifi + Bluetooth Dongle as Wireless Adapter for Windows Chromie 3 1,568 10-18-2015 09:06 PM
Last Post: chris57
  WIFI and Bluetooth Dongle for Open Hour Chameleon martyanov 8 6,375 02-22-2015 02:26 AM
Last Post: chris57
  logitech media board pro bluetooth Daveydguk 5 3,006 01-05-2015 04:01 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf
  Bluetooth connecting chris57 17 13,344 12-24-2014 08:57 AM
Last Post: openhouradmin