Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Good SD/microSD/Etc. card Reader - Transcend RDF8K
11-18-2014, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 12:09 AM by chris57.)
Good SD/microSD/Etc. card Reader - Transcend RDF8K
I was having problems getting a 64GB SDHC card to be read via my W7 PC or via some general card readers I have around. None seemed to work correctly.

I then read an article about the number of 64GB+ cards being incorrectly returned simply because people's USB ports or card readers have problems reading some sizes and variants of flash cards. Some have problems reading SDXC and some larger capacity.

I've a few Transcend and Verbatim cards around that have done me well and as card readers are not too expensive and after reading an article or two I bought this one:-
http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-331
[Image: th_transcendcardreader_zpsc6fe8619.jpg]

It picked up my troublesome 64Gb SDHC card ( it was a class10 cheapy so i thought it was the card in reality ) and via guiformat.exe its now sitting in the back of my OHC providing additional storage.

Its a USB3 reader and although the ports on both my PC and the OHC are USB2 it worked fine for backward compatibility.

I went to the Transcend site and found that there was a firmware update for it which was dead simple on Windows but available for all supported OS's. Upped from T22 to T26 firmware. Shows its possible to be updated though over time and as more new types of microSD/SD cards come out. Not bad for something that's relatively inexpensive.

Found some interesting information on the back packaging of a Lexmark 90MB/s microSD card I purchased which suggests potential speed bottlenecks at the device end so opened a thread on that here as I didn't want to take this thread OT:
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread....59#pid1859
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2014, 02:03 AM
RE: Good SD/microSD/Etc. card Reader - Transcend RDF8K
I have an i-Connect multi-card reader that had no problem formatting and burning the img file to a PNY 64GB 90 mb/s 'Elite Performance' SDXC card.
What the actual data transfer rate is I have no idea, but the box seems very fast between menu's and app loading.
11-19-2014, 07:39 AM
AFAIK, the capacity of SDHC is up to 32GB max. Any other capacities starting from 64GB are SDXC. So you need a card reader which supports SDXC at least.
11-19-2014, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2014 02:01 AM by chris57.)
(11-19-2014 07:39 AM)K_C_ Wrote:  AFAIK, the capacity of SDHC is up to 32GB max. Any other capacities starting from 64GB are SDXC. So you need a card reader which supports SDXC at least.

Exactly what I thought, as I said it was a cheapy and who knows it may have been deliberately packaged with SDHC rather than SDXC.

Important point is that Windows wont format past 32Gb without using exFAT which as its M$ and requires licensing wont be supported and now the card is useful whereas previously it was consigned to the must be a dud box until the new card reader/guiformatter.exe I finally was able to deal with it. Was that because the other readers could not read SDXC or because they won't format it was its 64Gb? It would not format as NTFS via any method I tried.

[Image: th_Screenshot_2014-11-21-00-53-42_zps76e84833.png]
11-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I have this card reader too. I don't see any problem to format the card as NTFS. I tried with SanDisk, Samsung and also Toshiba, they all worked fine wIHT this reader.
11-19-2014, 05:32 PM
All 64Gb cards as up to 32Gb is not a problem.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Card speed bottleneck in device? chris57 11 5,830 01-05-2015 05:03 AM