Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

DTS Audio with External Players on Chameleon
11-16-2014, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2014 09:04 PM by skarbd.)
DTS Audio with External Players on Chameleon
So this afternoon I have been trying Plex out on the Chameleon, mainly because I had free access to Plex for Android, one of the benefits of the Lifetime membership I suppose.

Anyway while playing round with Plex client for Android and the built in player failing hammering my Synology NAS, I switched to trying external players.

MX Player worked well, default install (No additional codecs), bar the fact it couldn't/doesn't deal with the DTS Audio. Worked nicely with the remote control and jumped/seeked around the movie well. The lack of DTS support is a bit of a pain.

I tried VLC, which worked well, support for DTS. It did crash, which is a shame, but a good start.

I did try the 2 video players that were already installed, but one wouldn't start and the other had no DTS audio support.

So a coulple of questions.

1. MX Player has the option for codec support for the chip in Chameleon, which would give better picture quality? How to get around the lack of DTS audio support?

2. Where does the audio codec support come from? Rockchip, Andriod or the external/internal players?

Testing from NAS running Plex Server via the LAN to Open Hour Chameleon running Plex For Andriod to Samsung TV.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2014, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2014 10:20 PM by chris57.)
RE: DTS Audio with External Players on Chameleon
Change the audio decoding to Software rather than hardware in settings of MX Player for DTS decoding. Look for audio software decoding leave other options to hardware. For those with AVR's they dont require this as their AVR decodes DTS. For those of us with direct to TV connections there are not many TV's that decode DTS so you have to have the software of MX Player codec decode it as the RK3288 won't.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
09-10-2015, 09:15 AM
Hello, sorry to bring up an old thread but is this still the best way to run plex on the chameleon? I was playing about last night and I couldn't get plexmbc installed and the native plex app player struggled.
09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Don't know about Plex as I don't presently use it. I use Kodi with Mediacodec hardware acceleration enabled. Best so far for my stereo downmix needs.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-10-2015, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 08:43 PM by tgozed.)
It is Smile Though you need to download the audio codecs for MX player separately now from xda developers. It won't let me paste a direct link.

I'm doing audio and video decoding by software because some old xvid files I have were stuttering using hardware.

Plays everything I have perfectly Big Grin
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tgozed for this post
11-23-2015, 08:57 PM
(09-10-2015 07:35 PM)tgozed Wrote:  It is Smile Though you need to download the audio codecs for MX player separately now from xda developers. It won't let me paste a direct link.

I'm doing audio and video decoding by software because some old xvid files I have were stuttering using hardware.

Plays everything I have perfectly Big Grin

If this is true the Cloud Media should just bundle the necessary codes in their firmware, rather than requiring end users to have the knowledge, time and patience to go doing it manually. Anyhows, I confirm MXPlayer doesn't have DTS audio problems and even if you was to come across such a file, you can always go into its settings and select SW decoding for audio.
11-25-2015, 05:57 AM
It's nothing to do with CloudMedia what codecs software like MXPlayer supports. MXPlayer was forced to remove it and then there are 'unoffical' versions of the old codec that did downmix released on XDA. Get to XDA which is the home of MXPlayer forum and download the codecs if as already stated you require downmix.

Remember everything costs and why should AVR users pay for a DTS license that does not have any benefit to them? Besides you can use other software media players who dont have this issue like Kodi or hack the software. Your choice.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the chameleon no longer supported - Poll included scotland21 9 2,369 05-07-2017 11:04 AM
Last Post: Willem55
  OPEN HOUR Chameleon Android Framerate Sync afss 46 20,288 12-27-2015 06:57 PM
  Audio Issues stathis 8 2,949 08-27-2015 07:01 PM
Last Post: Daveydguk
  OpenELEC on Chameleon! alturki 6 5,407 05-30-2015 05:12 PM
Last Post: chris57
  How can I order the Chameleon? Akimoto 2 2,319 10-06-2014 02:28 AM
Last Post: Akimoto
  NPVR on Chameleon? dave.t 1 1,559 09-30-2014 06:53 AM
  Down mixed audio chris57 10 5,273 09-20-2014 12:01 PM