Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

HDCP handshake failure (which resolves in green/purple-ish images)
11-11-2014, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2014 03:10 PM by vanhollandbas.)
HDCP handshake failure (which resolves in green/purple-ish images)
Situation
Unfortunatly I am experiencing this issue myself. HDMI works with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). With some (older) television models the compatibility with HDCP is not working properly. Usually this can be fixed by upgrading your television software. But mine is too 'old' (4 yrs) for that.

The HDCP signal sends some kind of 'handshake' to verify if the content is not illegal (at least, that's what i have read so far). Everytime, due to software or incompatibility, this handshake fails the screen turns green/purple-ish to prevent you from watching 'illegal content'.

Since my television is not provided (4 yrs old) with the proper software update by the manufacturer I wanted to share my findings so far. I also received a message from another OpenHour user who is experiencing the same problem, clearly I am not alone Wink

First a question for the OpenHour developers:
1. Is there any way (in the near future) in which Android or Ubuntu will enable us to handle HDCP settings so we can 'work-around' this issue?

Possible fixes
As far as I know there are a couple of options to try and fix this.
1. Update your television software
2. Use a HDMI splitter (i have ordered one, but have not received it yet so I cannot yet confirm if that works. Some splitters 'cut' the HDCP part which should resolve the problem. (around 20-30$).
3. Buy a new television (which is not an option for me )

Maybe the developers can provide us with a solution otherwise the list above might help the users who are experiencing the same problem.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users say Thank You to vanhollandbas for this post
11-11-2014, 04:22 PM
RE: HDCP handshake failure (which resolves in green/purple-ish images)
Will feedback this to RockChip. Thanks.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to developer2 for this post
11-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Good fix for the AV-users Wink I am an analogue (stereo)-freak when it comes to audio. Integrated amplifier with no digital/hdmi in- and outputs whatsoever Smile So bad luck for me Sad But this might be a nice fix for people with a nice AV-receiver! Good thinking. Thanks.

(11-11-2014 06:31 PM)szkzs Wrote:  +One easy "possible" fix: A momentary switch on the AV receiver input?!
(If your OH connected directly to AV Amplifier, switch the HDMI "x" input to
"y" input and return it!)

(HDMI "x" input, where your OH players is connected!)
(HDMI "y" input is where ,,,, oh forget that! Big Grin )

Cheers!
11-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Update;

HDMI splitter does not work for me. (could be the tv, could be the splitter). I am not spending any more on trying to resolve this issue Smile

Guess I'll have to wait until Rockchip and/or Cloudmedia provides 'us' with a solution. Or just dig up the C200 again Wink Which is not perfect, but still works like a charm :-)
11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
here are some good pages with regards to your issue:

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_han...elines.php

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/Best_Practise...ations.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwi...Protection

I might just sort thing out for you...
11-14-2014, 06:03 PM
(11-13-2014 08:57 AM)vanhollandbas Wrote:  Update;

HDMI splitter does not work for me. (could be the tv, could be the splitter). I am not spending any more on trying to resolve this issue Smile

Guess I'll have to wait until Rockchip and/or Cloudmedia provides 'us' with a solution. Or just dig up the C200 again Wink Which is not perfect, but still works like a charm :-)

Hi,

Have the same issue here with my Sony KDL 40S5600, which works well with PS3, netgem n7700 and boxee box.
OH is set to 1080p60.
With the Beta firmware, I found that there was a "developer settings" menu entry in "advanced settings" where I can disable HDCP.
Tried to disable it 15 minutes ago, and the green/purplish issue occured again....
11-14-2014, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 10:18 PM by stawen.)

hi,
splitter doesn't word for me too....
i try to go in "display manufacturers " for my philips TV. But no hdcp disable menu...

I power off all device, switch hdmi cable, etc, etc...
I hope we can disable hcdp from the OH in the next update

TV : Philips 42PFL8404H 1080p (build in 2009) --- HDMI Cable : OHC inbox ---- Connection : HTPC to TV directly -- Nas Synology by NFS -- OPENHOUR : FW 1.0.11
11-19-2014, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 08:59 PM by vanhollandbas.)
(11-14-2014 10:17 PM)stawen Wrote:  

hi,
splitter doesn't word for me too....
i try to go in "display manufacturers " for my philips TV. But no hdcp disable menu...

I power off all device, switch hdmi cable, etc, etc...
I hope we can disable hcdp from the OH in the next update

Turning off the HDCP option (advanced settings - developer settings) did not work for me either. My interval in turning green is also around 10 to 15 minutes or so. Tried replacing cables, switching ports etc.

Tried it on a different television (newer type) and no green/purple issues there. Maybe the problem is similar to what the Dutch UPC Horizon settopbox had. They added an option whitch forces "RGB color mode". That seemed to do the trick. At least... for the settopbox Wink
11-20-2014, 03:24 PM
Can someone verify the green/purple problem on the new firmware http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread.php?tid=257 ?

Please photo shoot for us if the problem still appear. Thanks.
11-20-2014, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 10:19 PM by stawen.)
green screen stil here. I have install new firmware 107
First i make a reset factory, erase xbmc, Kodi, smpc.
then update the firmware
Smpc work fine (my movies are on a nas with nfs)
but i have green screen
the picture : (impssible antispam rules....) so send via DM to developper2

TV : Philips 42PFL8404H 1080p (build in 2009) --- HDMI Cable : OHC inbox ---- Connection : HTPC to TV directly -- Nas Synology by NFS -- OPENHOUR : FW 1.0.11
11-20-2014, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 10:27 PM by vanhollandbas.)
Seems that the interval between the green/purple issue is bigger. It occurs a little less (at least I think...). But the problem still occurs.

where can i leave the screenshot?

[Image: 2vlnzu8.jpg]
11-20-2014, 10:49 PM
my prob is exactly the same.
But i have the green screen when i play movie and when i don't play movie !

11-21-2014, 06:26 AM
I already sent your feedback and screenshots to engineers. Thanks.
11-26-2014, 05:42 PM
hello,

For me, the last FW work fine with SMPC. But i have the screen green prob.
Developper2, do you have any idea when the new update comes, and if it will ship a fix ?

thk.

12-16-2014, 08:32 AM
(11-21-2014 06:26 AM)developer2 Wrote:  I already sent your feedback and screenshots to engineers. Thanks.

What is the feedback about this issue?
Will the next upgrade fix this issue?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ethernet is on but network i not working. Possibly hardware failure ? bauletz 8 2,261 02-11-2016 05:50 PM
Last Post: Daveydguk