Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Video issues with both xbmc ans Mx Player
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 10:09 AM by DarkCinema.)
RE: Video issues with both xbmc ans Mx Player
Just curious, does MX Pro player support HD Audio passthrough?
Mizuu looks nice indeed.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 11:11 AM
(11-06-2014 02:35 AM)lundman Wrote:  Having played with the device last night, I made some initial observations.

Built in player (DLNA over nic)
* can indeed do passthrough with DTS etc, yay
* micro stutters
* no way to change from giant icons (makes browsing for what to watch horrible)
* crashes on ff, or jump forward.
* has occasionally large jerks, maybe once every 30 mins

kodi (SMB over nic)
* micro stutters
* no passthrough, sure you can turn it on, but if you play "channel test", you do not get rear or lfo.
* crashes on ff, or jump forward.
* can produce horrible static sound on jumps if "passthrough" is left on.

smbc (SMB over nic)
* micro stutters
* no passthrough, sure you can turn it on, but if you play "channel test", you do not get rear or lfo.
* better at ff and jump forward
* can produce horrible static sound on jumps if "passthrough" is left on.

Knowing it is still considered debug-build, I am not too concerned. It has real potential.

My biggest concerns are that the microstutters is from bad NIC driver, based on nothing
but past worries from other hardware like ouya and mele. I need to try local content to
see if this is the case (I wont use local contents normally, that's just insane).

At the moment it is a bit conflicting between using built in player, with passthrough but horrible interface, or
xbmc with acceptable interface but no passthrough.

Very very nicely broken down, so thanks.
11-06-2014, 11:47 AM
No, i don't consider using Android players as an option. Needs to work over network, with rar support. xbmc has it built in, or I can use llink over upnp I suppose. Like bubbleupnp. But if they don't do passthrough, it's not a mediaplayer, just a toy Smile
11-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Agree without passthrough and decent network support it's would be a failure as a mediaplayer.
Android 5 with androidTV might solve some of it, but for the long run it should be Linux Openelec or ubuntu.
11-06-2014, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2014 01:19 PM by chris57.)
For those whose needs dont involve passthrough and want a min-pc type of device its a real winner. I've guys at work that have never heard of android/xbmc etc but swear by these USB devices that have some kind of system on them. So we know what they are on about but its hard to explain things like android, xbmx etc the eyes just glaze over.

For those that want a media player with passthrough and quality PQ, playback etc. then so far its certainly not meeting that demand. But its not a top line media player is it, its an android plaything. Well that is until Willem gets his Linux version of xbmc running properly, counting down on which comes soon a decent variant of xbmc on android or a linux/xbmc implementation.
11-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Well, I watched me 1st full length movie on the OHC last night, or rather I tried to. I had KODI 14 beta 'A' loaded and the box crashed avout 20 minutes in, it rebooted into the desktop and when I tried to restart the movie the sound was whacked. Had to hook up the TLBB to finish the flick. I will take KODI 14 off and try 13.2 Gotham as perhaps it was a glitch in Helix. My wife was NOT happy. They REALLY need to burn some midnight oil and get this box working or they are going to see word of mouth kill it off. Potential buyers are reading this forum and all of the bad results will keep anyone except hobbyists and tinkerers from buying it.
11-07-2014, 07:23 AM
At this stage of the game I would personally prefer the box only be bought by hobbyists and tinkerers.. Rolleyes
11-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Yep definitely.

For those whose only box it is and to keep some accord in the household if the Mrs is losing it use MX Player Pro with ARM7 Neon codec installed. On DTS you have to switch to software from hardware audio decoding to get even stereo but apart from that you can get through a nights TV relatively unscathed. Add Muuzi jukebox and she may even be impressed. I also like Sold Explorer for its network better than esfile as it allows users/names etc. far easier and you can play direct using MX Player using this as well if you don't want to stump up for Muuzi.

I'm wondering if we need a list of user recommended Android APPS. Only user recommended we dont want a spamfest. We did one way back when the NMT started its platform and I wonder if we should have an Android based one as well.
11-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Let's say that it is not a turn-key mediaplayer, but then the concept of an open system is also the opposite of turn-key by definition.
Turn-key would be swapping SD images over Internet based on usage type and preference and connected hardware.

For now it's a good piece of hardware that brings android... as for the applications to turn the android box into a mediaplayer it's all trial and error finding and setting up applications that work.
Next android OS release is supposed to be more mediaplayer friendly... but it's up to Rockchip to release it's android 5 version and I would love to know the ETA for that.
11-07-2014, 10:18 AM
its official, We (rock chip) target to support Android 5.0 "Lollipop" in Q1 2015.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Lollipop
11-08-2014, 12:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 12:48 AM by Akimoto.)
(10-31-2014 05:21 PM)VPparadise Wrote:  Hi, just got my open hour yeterday, configured it with Xbmc gotham and my NAS synology on SMB network.

Every video i play, from 1080p iso bluray to 720p mkv is laggy, not smooth at all, wih micro stutters. It worked fine on my A100.
I tried to turn pff hardware acceleration in xbmc, everything. But i guess the problem is from the hardware since this laggy problem comes in MX player too.

Am i the only one here ?

I've the exact same problem.

I tried everything, and I mean - Everything, and I can't play a video smoothly.
Every video I try, it stutters a lot (720p/1080p movies, series and so on).

My A-210 played them perfectly.

Regards.
11-08-2014, 12:56 AM
Just do a test with Solid Explorer to browse to your Nas and then play. Make sure its the mx player arm7 neon codec you install and not just the arm7.

I using muuzi and mx player to watch via smb the daily 720 and sd mp4 releases. Get some stutters but cannot be bothered to keep changing resolution to match fps each file i dont know how much is down to that or player.
11-08-2014, 01:43 AM
OK, I have tested the newly released firmware and KODI variant from Rockchip.... IT'S ALIVE!!!! I watched a couple f shows that previously had bad stuttering and they were smooth as can be, also the seek/crash issue is gone, and the audio is in sync on the last episode of The Voice, which was in and out of sync before. So it looks like this box is now usable with KODI for me, I watched a 4GB HD avi and it ran smooth, no 5.1 of course but with my AVR on 7 channel stereo is sounded OK.
11-08-2014, 09:16 AM
but with my AVR on 7 channel stereo is sounded OK.
LoL one happy camper..Tongue

My AVR does THX Cinema... and I set it on that, but I've alway been religiously against any form of audio enhancements beyond what the studio did.
11-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I was playing files last night on the initial firmware over my wired network, using xbmc 13.2, it was only a 5GB 720P MKV .264, however there seemed to be no problems. I only played for 3 minutes.

What should I be seeing from the point of view of these microstutters?

I will test a 15 GB file tonight, which I will hopefully see the problem.

NOTE - I have not made any changes to the advanced setting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Video streaming app mmace999 4 1,150 04-14-2016 11:57 AM
Last Post: Willem55
  Can you play 10bit or Hi10 mkv's on this player? Bloodsack 20 20,582 04-25-2015 05:30 AM
Last Post: Wanbyn
  internet issues in apps djomo 2 1,371 04-05-2015 03:46 PM
Last Post: chris57
  No sounds when play with native player hkfires 2 1,608 01-21-2015 06:32 PM
Last Post: btezB
  "Video" Stutter and Audio effect AmigaWolf 4 3,279 01-20-2015 01:05 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf
  Fix Video Stuttering AmigaWolf 18 11,828 12-20-2014 05:14 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf
  Movie does not run smooth in XBMC Danboy 16 11,276 11-11-2014 06:30 PM
Last Post: developer2
  HDMI audio issues - anyone else? papahawaii 1 1,649 11-04-2014 05:15 AM