Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Basic rooted Android OS
10-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Basic rooted Android OS
I am looking to run my custom Android app and need to access the regular (rooted) Android interface (not the factory menu system). I did not find a way to get out to the regular Android interface, so I imagine it would take a new SD card image to have the option. Would you make that available for those of us using this product for other purposes?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2014, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2014 07:03 AM by chris57.)
RE: Basic rooted Android OS
I tried to install a Samba server/client app and that requires Root access. What's the view on rooting the unit and what checks are we going to have and possible apps not work due to the unit being rooted?

Its one for all of us to discuss not just CM as its APPs that stop you not OH. For example some SKY and BBC android apps wont work if they detect your player is rooted.

The idea of having the OS on a SD card and controllled by us owners is that it takes the legal responsibility away from CM and to us. So we should be able to do what we want eventually but remember we are early adopters so will have to await talented owners and OH providing differing OS's ROMs etc. Some may take the view that they are going to await Android L as that bring a lot of AV features that are missing.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
11-12-2014, 02:00 AM
(10-30-2014 07:00 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I tried to install a Samba server/client app and that requires Root access. What's the view on rooting the unit and what checks are we going to have and possible apps not work due to the unit being rooted?

Its one for all of us to discuss not just CM as its APPs that stop you not OH. For example some SKY and BBC android apps wont work if they detect your player is rooted.

The idea of having the OS on a SD card and controllled by us owners is that it takes the legal responsibility away from CM and to us. So we should be able to do what we want eventually but remember we are early adopters so will have to await talented owners and OH providing differing OS's ROMs etc. Some may take the view that they are going to await Android L as that bring a lot of AV features that are missing.
I am confused.
Is the native android shipped with the OH Chameleon rooted or not?
I tried to install VNC server but this wouldn't work stating that the app required Android to be rooted.
I have also installed TVNZ on demand app which wont run and reason given is that "this device has root access" suggesting it is rooted (?)
Can someone help explain please?
11-12-2014, 09:36 AM
(10-30-2014 12:17 AM)senaptec Wrote:  I am looking to run my custom Android app and need to access the regular (rooted) Android interface (not the factory menu system). I did not find a way to get out to the regular Android interface, so I imagine it would take a new SD card image to have the option. Would you make that available for those of us using this product for other purposes?

May be you can try this : http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1...-Root-Tool

That dit the trick for me!
[+] 1 user says Thank You to pippobimbo for this post
11-12-2014, 10:24 AM
(11-12-2014 02:00 AM)desd Wrote:  I am confused.
I tried to install VNC server but this wouldn't work stating that the app required Android to be rooted.
I have also installed TVNZ on demand app which wont run and reason given is that "this device has root access" suggesting it is rooted (?)

Should not be rooted because I've wanted to install a number of apps that required rooted a while back, but failed. Not really sure what criteria TVNZ check to consider the Android is rooted.
11-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Is there a build environment/SDK available for the *open*-Hour? I would be interested in building a custom rom...
11-20-2014, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2014 02:37 AM by AmigaWolf.)
(11-12-2014 10:24 AM)developer2 Wrote:  
(11-12-2014 02:00 AM)desd Wrote:  I am confused.

Should not be rooted because I've wanted to install a number of apps that required rooted a while back, but failed. Not really sure what criteria TVNZ check to consider the Android is rooted.

Yes developer2 you are right, the Open Hour Chameleon is NOT rooted, just download Root Checker
at Google Play and you will see that he is not rooted, also Apps that need root access won't work and also
say that he is NOT rooted.
03-29-2015, 03:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2015 03:30 PM by ottix22.)
use towelroot-app for rooting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Android 5 & 6 on Chameleon Chameleon User 10 2,932 08-12-2016 09:47 AM
Last Post: tosh123
  Problem running Android/Open Hour MichaelHeerlen 5 3,000 09-14-2015 10:58 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Problem with 16GB card for Android? sptkyle 6 3,520 06-27-2015 09:43 AM
Information Why do the Android apps not update Blackhalo 3 2,072 05-17-2015 01:33 PM
Last Post: Willem55
  Xposed framework - tweak your android OS chris57 0 1,215 03-11-2015 12:57 AM
  Broken Android SD card images unrealdtc 6 4,425 02-19-2015 11:35 PM
Last Post: F6B_Rider
  Best practice setup for android and SPMC FW 1.0.7 Willem55 17 13,715 12-27-2014 08:54 PM
  EXT4 write - only if rooted chris57 1 1,353 12-05-2014 07:25 AM