Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Pointing client at Synology Mysql DB
10-27-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 05:18 PM by skarg4.)
Pointing client at Synology Mysql DB
Hello,

One of the things I can do on the windows version of xbmc is to get it to connect my synology and maintain the xbmc database there.

Off the top of my head, I have an advancedsettings. xml file I drop in a specific directory. From my vague description, does anyone know if the same would be achievable on Android?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to skarg4 for this post
10-27-2014, 05:40 PM
RE: Pointing client at Synology Mysql DB
according to the powers that be @xbmc that is not possible in android.... but it's a bit of a discussion still... I believe koying who build SBMC and who is IMHO most experienced developer in xbmc android, said he will put the ability to use external SD in SBMC.
xbmc development for windows is still years ahead from android.
10-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Ah, so once we have access to the SD card, we can drop our advanced settings file on that card, and that will allow us to repoint the xbmc client to the external database. (In simple terms).
[+] 1 user says Thank You to skarg4 for this post
10-27-2014, 06:02 PM
Don't think so...
I think what koying will be doing is allowing SBMC to be moved to the external SD and as you could plug a 32 or 64GB SD so there should be enough space to maintain your database on the android system.
10-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Ah, I don't want to store the database on the android system, I want to get XBMC to connect to a database on another server.

I will give an example when I get home.
10-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Now that would be a good discussion to take to xbmc.org forum
10-27-2014, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 08:14 PM by Willem55.)
last I checked My nexus 7 connected fine to my mysql db with xbmc.

I would post the path but this forum denies me that

added by MOD---- Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ Note if its installed to an sdcard the path will start with sdcard/Android
[+] 1 user says Thank You to halfelite for this post
10-27-2014, 08:13 PM
@ halfelite according to the powers that be @xbmc that is not possible http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207319

and

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5545
10-27-2014, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2014 10:29 PM by halfelite.)
It depends on the install. Most stock androids goto internal memory.

If its internal memory its just android.......... if the install is on an sd card then its going to start with sdcard........

What you are talking about is having android move the whole xbmc install to an sdcard. using the program manager. Two very different things.

And just to note pivos xbmc install allowed userdata on sd card so its being done just not in main branch.
10-28-2014, 07:30 AM
No what I was talking about is how to get the xbmc data out of the internal storage... or get a bigger internal storage...
10-28-2014, 09:12 AM
(10-27-2014 06:46 PM)halfelite Wrote:  last I checked My nexus 7 connected fine to my mysql db with xbmc.

I would post the path but this forum denies me that

added by MOD---- Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ Note if its installed to an sdcard the path will start with sdcard/Android

Thanks, that is very good to know.
10-28-2014, 04:30 PM
(10-28-2014 07:30 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  No what I was talking about is how to get the xbmc data out of the internal storage... or get a bigger internal storage...

Exactly moving xbmc with program manager would accomplish this. And some branches allow on SD card for user data. If none are an option then use mount links.
10-29-2014, 01:20 AM
(10-27-2014 05:40 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  according to the powers that be @xbmc that is not possible in android.... but it's a bit of a discussion still... I believe koying who build SBMC and who is IMHO most experienced developer in xbmc android, said he will put the ability to use external SD in SBMC.
xbmc development for windows is still years ahead from android.

Hey Willem. I installed XBMC on my android phone and set up the advancedsettings.xml and it connects to my mysql server no problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Great.... now step in the shoes of the average couch user who is proud he understand the xbmc GUI and remote.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml is indeed a solution but xbmc default DB is SQLite not mysql so first step is to migrate the DB and there is where we lose above metioned user.

The Easy solution would be for xbmc to change the install parameters in the xbmc.apk to allow install on external memory or a setting that allows moving only the DB to external memory.

Alternative would be to install the 8GB NAND SD to a 32GB... I'm asking CM to make the Image file available.
10-29-2014, 02:28 PM
(10-29-2014 08:06 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  Great.... now step in the shoes of the average couch user who is proud he understand the xbmc GUI and remote.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml is indeed a solution but xbmc default DB is SQLite not mysql so first step is to migrate the DB and there is where we lose above metioned user.

The Easy solution would be for xbmc to change the install parameters in the xbmc.apk to allow install on external memory or a setting that allows moving only the DB to external memory.

Alternative would be to install the 8GB NAND SD to a 32GB... I'm asking CM to make the Image file available.

I think those that are hosting their own separate mySQL server can work it out. But you are right it would be much better if the configuration of XBMC gave you some settings to choose your database location. Then you could just let XBMC use it's own database but store it on the network drive if you like.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user