Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Poll: Do you think the player is the finished product?
This poll is closed.
yes 28.00% 7 28.00%
No 72.00% 18 72.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is the chameleon no longer supported - Poll included
09-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Is the chameleon no longer supported - Poll included
Is the chameleon no longer supported?
I still have a hit or miss relationship with mine playing films on a wired gigabit connection on a Qnap TS-853 and using an Onkyo TX-NR 545 amp.
Really looking to get shot and get another player, to be honest this has been such a disappointment for watching films as the sound keep dropping and I have to stop the film and play it to get the sound back.

In it's current state it still requires support to get it to work properly.
I've added a poll to see who feels this is now a fully functioning player.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to scotland21 for this post
09-26-2016, 03:43 PM
RE: Is the chameleon no longer supported - Poll included
(09-25-2016 02:19 PM)scotland21 Wrote:  Is the chameleon no longer supported?

I don't see the reason for such a poll. We all know since the no-issue of Lollipop at the end of the chinese year (was promised for march 2015) that the whole open hour stuff isn't supported anymore.
RK has released a lot of patches for Lollipop and Marshmellow and there is a supportet KODI for the RK devices with working sound and non-stuttering 24 fps playback - none of them works for open hour users, the OS isn't updated anymore.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tosh123 for this post
09-26-2016, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2016 11:08 PM by scotland21.)
(09-26-2016 03:43 PM)tosh123 Wrote:  

I don't see the reason for such a poll. We all know since the no-issue of Lollipop at the end of the chinese year (was promised for march 2015) that the whole open hour stuff isn't supported anymore.
RK has released a lot of patches for Lollipop and Marshmellow and there is a supportet KODI for the RK devices with working sound and non-stuttering 24 fps playback - none of them works for open hour users, the OS isn't updated anymore.

(09-26-2016 03:43 PM)tosh123 Wrote:  

Well for one I wasn't aware they had stopped supporting the Open hour stuff therefore it was no longer supported so your assumption that we all know is incorrect.
The fact that they simply stopped supporting this despite it being only of use if you want to browse or stream form the internet is not what I bough it for, I expected it to allow me to play 4K quality films.
In it's current state I struggle to play films back in 1080p with DTS sound, if this how the company wants to treat loyal customers having bought and still own a c200, an a110 both which worked once patches were constantly release until they worked reliably I'm afraid this forces me to look at another manufacturer.
Do open hour buy back their defective devices as I have 2 of these? so twice the frustration Angry
for those who want to jump on and say that these were never guaranteed to work when I purchased them there was nothing to warn that they might not be fit for purpose, they clearly marketed the devices for playing 4K content with high quality audio!!
[+] 2 users say Thank You to scotland21 for this post
09-27-2016, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2016 11:31 AM by Brain_Killer.)
Scotland21

You are not the only one. I think most of the people just stopped following the threads/forum and lost hope and move on to other vendors out there.

Is sad to see that OpenHour don't come to public, specially to the customers, and inform them of the "current status" or provide them an explanation or a way to resolve this.

On the end, they don't care, and the only frustration that I have is how can a company in 2016 provide this kind of service and gets immune to all the laws around the world that cover customers in situations like this...
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Brain_Killer for this post
10-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Bought a Himedia Q10 and so far so good, turn it on and I can watch films without having to implement workarounds.
Better still it can play a film while scanning the library in the background, something which the Chameleon can't do.
This I'm afraid is my farewell message, thanks for all the help I received on this forum.
Just as a parting shot, workarounds are a temporary method to allow the end user to achieve the full functionality until a permanent solution can be implemented.
As this product only works with workarounds and unless implemented doesn't work properly (mine still didn't with the workarounds implemented) it is not fit for the main purpose I bought it for.
I am a customer that this company has now lost, the C200 wasn't one of their better products either although it worked a lot better than the Chameleon did and I got years of use out of it.
Goodbye popcorn hour I don't know how many customers you've lost but I hope you test your products before you sell them in future!!
[+] 3 users say Thank You to scotland21 for this post
11-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Hallo, ik ben ook een houder van deze multimedia-apparaat, ga bedrog door de fabrikant, verkoopt nog steeds meer dan 150 euro aan prestigieuze winkels.
Ik begrijp niet com kunnen stoppen met het ondersteunen zo'n recente product, het enige dat zal gebeuren is het verlies van meer ontevreden klanten zoals ik.
02-08-2017, 03:15 AM
I'm hoping Asus will rescue my device. With their new tinker board being announced, which appears to have very similar hardware...I naively hope the opensource community will get more involved with something that might be able to be slapped on the chameleon.
02-08-2017, 07:32 AM
(02-08-2017 03:15 AM)Lorne1525 Wrote:  I'm hoping Asus will rescue my device. With their new tinker board being announced, which appears to have very similar hardware...I naively hope the opensource community will get more involved with something that might be able to be slapped on the chameleon.
RK have a long time the patches for Lollipop or Marshmallow ready, but Open Hour doesn't do anything.

There are a lot of other devices with the RK3288 so i doubt, that you take an advantage from the Asus device with the same chip. We don't nave now a "Wasser" firmware running, so it isn't simple to flash the devices each other.
05-07-2017, 06:36 AM
(10-15-2016 07:00 PM)scotland21 Wrote:  Bought a Himedia Q10 and so far so good, turn it on and I can watch films without having to implement workarounds.
Better still it can play a film while scanning the library in the background, something which the Chameleon can't do.
This I'm afraid is my farewell message, thanks for all the help I received on this forum.
Just as a parting shot, workarounds are a temporary method to allow the end user to achieve the full functionality until a permanent solution can be implemented.
As this product only works with workarounds and unless implemented doesn't work properly (mine still didn't with the workarounds implemented) it is not fit for the main purpose I bought it for.
I am a customer that this company has now lost, the C200 wasn't one of their better products either although it worked a lot better than the Chameleon did and I got years of use out of it.
Goodbye popcorn hour I don't know how many customers you've lost but I hope you test your products before you sell them in future!!

I'm also very disappointed popcorn hour support and say goodbye..
05-07-2017, 11:04 AM
(05-07-2017 06:36 AM)go1go Wrote:  
(10-15-2016 07:00 PM)scotland21 Wrote:  Bought a Himedia Q10 and so far so good, turn it on and I can watch films without having to implement workarounds.

I'm also very disappointed popcorn hour support and say goodbye..

I think you mean Openhour...Sleepy

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OPEN HOUR Chameleon Android Framerate Sync afss 46 20,450 12-27-2015 06:57 PM
Last Post: Willem55
  DTS Audio with External Players on Chameleon skarbd 6 4,807 11-25-2015 05:57 AM
Last Post: chris57
  OpenELEC on Chameleon! alturki 6 5,429 05-30-2015 05:12 PM
Last Post: chris57
  How can I order the Chameleon? Akimoto 2 2,327 10-06-2014 02:28 AM
Last Post: Akimoto
  NPVR on Chameleon? dave.t 1 1,571 09-30-2014 06:53 AM
Last Post: Willem55