Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

OHC versus HiMedia Q5 Pro
08-10-2016, 07:37 PM
OHC versus HiMedia Q5 Pro
Hello everybody,

Let me start saying that I have both boxes now (OHC and Himedia Q5 PRO), and by no means I am trying to promote a brand here, but just thought on sharing my experience as an user of both devices at this point:

There is an ongoing problem with the Himedia Q5 pro firmware, in regards to 23.97 versus 24hz switching, but it seems a beta version is already available that fixes it.

Price: very compatible - I paid pretty much the same on Amazon for both.

Overall stability: Pretty much every time I use it the Q5 behaves the same when playing video files. With OHC, HD-passthrough sometimes works, sometimes does not (sometimes requires a reboot). All my USB-HDDs work all the time with Q5, while only 1/2 works with my OHC.

Video Quality: Q5 passes 10bit video on their HDMI interface. OHC supports playing 10bit videos, but only goes up to 8 bits on HDMI.

Flexibility: Q5 allows for various video settings with the Native player (and Kodi with a wrapper that uses the Native Player), which include subtitle encoding, size, position, etc. 4K playback looks very similar with the default settings, but I can use Imprex settings on the Q5 to dial more details and a better looking picture (from my personal perspective).

Box quality: Very comparable - both are very well built. I like the LED screen on the Q5, but it only displays clock time (low benefit).

Future Proof-ness: OHC is HDMI2.0 and USB2.0/ Q5 is HDMI2.0a (HDR) and has an USB3.0 port. Q5 does play HDR files, and convert them to SDR if the TV does not support it.

Other: One of my frustrations have been not been able to use optical drives with OHC - this was blamed on Android - Guess what, it works on the Q5 ! I can play data DVD/BDs and also uncrypted video disks with an external USB drive.

Hope this helps !

Take care.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2016, 07:18 AM
RE: OHC versus HiMedia Q5 Pro
(08-10-2016 07:37 PM)afss Wrote:  Box quality: Very comparable - both are very well built. I like the LED screen on the Q5, but it only displays clock time (low benefit).

Thats the only Pro point for the chameleon, the Box case is well designed.
hdmkv have tested a lot of boxes, mostly android like the Q5, but also others, you can read the very interesting contribution here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

And as we are here in an chameleon forum, take a look at the remarks about RK :-)
08-11-2016, 04:28 PM
(08-11-2016 07:18 AM)tosh123 Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 07:37 PM)afss Wrote:  Box quality: Very comparable - both are very well built. I like the LED screen on the Q5, but it only displays clock time (low benefit).

hdmkv have tested a lot of boxes, mostly android like the Q5, but also others, you can read the very interesting contribution here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=221407

And as we are here in an chameleon forum, take a look at the remarks about RK :-)

Thanks for the reply - His remarks are pretty shocking on OHC !
10-15-2016, 07:12 PM
(08-11-2016 04:28 PM)afss Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 07:18 AM)tosh123 Wrote:  

Thanks for the reply - His remarks are pretty shocking on OHC !

I bit the bullet due to the poor performance of the Chameleon finding the same issues as mentioned in the original post.Angry
I now have the Q10 and so far it's performed perfectly out of the box.
Turn it on and watch the film I want to using Kodi.Tongue
Watched 4 films this week without any messing about with dropping audio and having to stop\start the film to get the audio back.Cool
The sad thing is I have 2 Chameleon boxes so twice the pain, luckily one was bought on Ebay for a fraction of the cost of the first box.Angry