Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

SPMC 16.1.2 has been released
03-16-2016, 01:05 PM
RE: SPMC 16.1.1 has been released
I can understand the Kodi team, not wanting to include chipset specific code in their releases. It creates a significant testing and support overhead. The Kodi application is multi platform, which in itself is a significant overhead in itself.

You create an exception for one chipset developer, and everyone starts expecting special treatment. It is just a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

As the thread states, Nvidia worked worked with Google to enhance the API, and RPi have made an effort to get things working.

Personally the people who have come out of this badly in my eyes, are Rockchip, and unfortunately by association CloudMedia, for using the Rockchip chip. I will give CloudMedia the benefit of the doubt on this, mainly because you have to have some trust that the chipset developer is going to deliver on the promises of OS support.

I would be surprised if I saw a Rockchip chip in a Cloud Media device.

I think the whole Chameleon experience has been nice refresh lesson, on jumping in without due consideration.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users say Thank You to skarbd for this post
03-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Or to put it another way Rockchip has potentially lost a customer (OpenHour) because they wouldn't realese the source code to Kodi. I think we are all being naive if we would think that releasing the source code by anyone is a done deal or easy to achieve.

It'll be interesting to see if Rockchip feel the pressure and adapt, its not just Rockchip either there are other chip manufacturers, whether they adapt or dump Kodi.

Why go android if its that much trouble people will ask themselves. Why not go Linux, Windows if you must have Kodi and can pay the premium or SoC if playback is king and get a cheap Kodi box with VPN for streaming.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

03-17-2016, 12:24 PM
I think in Rockchip they must be on drugs Big Grin Because how they want sell products without any compatibility support? Spend hours again and again for weird hacks for working in Kodi don't make any sense. When they will follow standards then it all will work correctly. It is simple Smile I will never buy anything with RK inside!
03-17-2016, 01:40 PM
[quote='locki
I think in Rockchip they must be on drugs :D Because how they want sell products without any compatibility support? Spend hours again and again for weird hacks for working in Kodi don't make any sense. When they will follow standards then it all will work correctly. It is simple :) I will never buy anything with RK inside!
[/quote]
But the hacked version of kodi is a product of Openhour?
03-17-2016, 04:51 PM
No, all These Kodi Versions are from RK.
03-17-2016, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2016 06:50 PM by Daveydguk.)
Ok. As long as we all have our health this is just another box which works of sorts but perhaps we paid over the odds for it. You pay your money and take your chance. Another notch on the bed post of failed hardware relationships. Ha ha.Plenty more fish in the sea. Give it 6 months and 4k 60hz 10bit will be standard cheap and 8k will be the next problem.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
03-17-2016, 07:54 PM
(03-17-2016 04:51 PM)DarkStarXxX Wrote:  No, all These Kodi Versions are from RK.

Not according to Willem.
03-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Some information about support Kodi / SPMC for Android in the future here :

http://liliputing.com/2016/03/kodi-media...-back.html
03-22-2016, 12:27 AM
RE: SPMC 16.1.2 has been released
Unfortunalty not as despite have a och Koying SPMC has dumped Rockchip devices from SPMC last time i read. He's working with amlogic for hardware acceleration.

I wouldnt bother with android if the developers going to drop soc's.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

03-22-2016, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 11:45 AM by PJK.)
(03-22-2016 12:27 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Unfortunalty not as despite have a och Koying SPMC has dumped Rockchip devices from SPMC last time i read. He's working with amlogic for hardware acceleration.

I wouldnt bother with android if the developers going to drop soc's.

Developers can only support SoC's when the manufacturers give them documentation and example code. If the SoC manufacturer wants to play hard to get this is what you get: Developers dropping support.

I was involved in a project where we had the same kinds of issues with a SoC from Freescale. Since the SoC choice couldn't be changed anymore and we had to deliver the customer requested functionality on a strict schedule (commercial projects are usually planned on fixed cost basis so any overruns come out your pocket) we had to put in a lot of effort to get the required functionality to work without support from the manufacturer.

They had promised us before we made the SoC choice that a lot of what we needed would be available, but a few weeks later they informed us that their focus had shifted from Linux support to Android support and that we were basically on our own to figure out how to get everything that we needed to work.

I can tell you that my project leader wasn't amused by this stance!

I can fully understand that Koying dropped support for the OHC/RockChip RK3188 if he gets no support from RockChip because nobody who develops without profit motif needs the aggravation of a none-supportive supplier.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to PJK for this post
03-22-2016, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 04:44 PM by Willem55.)
Long story short... it's up to Rockchip to comply with the official google API as that is the only way forward using android.
Now if, even with API compliance, Kodi drops android and leaves it to SPMC Rockchip still need to deliver...
And if nothing is done this RK hacked Kodi is the last upgrade we'll see. Cause I don't see them spending time on SoC's they no longer sell.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
03-23-2016, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 02:47 PM by PJK.)
(03-22-2016 04:43 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Long story short... it's up to Rockchip to comply with the official google API as that is the only way forward using android.
Now if, even with API compliance, Kodi drops android and leaves it to SPMC Rockchip still need to deliver...
And if nothing is done this RK hacked Kodi is the last upgrade we'll see. Cause I don't see them spending time on SoC's they no longer sell.

It's no longer a problem for me as:

1) My OHC died on me just after the warranty period was over
2) I switched to an Nvidia Shield TV which works like a charm with the regular version of Kodi.

But everyone who is soldiering on with the OHC has my respect. I did like most of what the OHC offered when it was working for me and at least the OHC air mouse/keyboard works fine with the Shield TV so it wasn't a complete loss.
03-25-2016, 12:48 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-2016 12:53 AM by noise36.)
Moved on to openelec on an intel NUC and havnt looked back...shame my OHC is next to worthless when it comes to resale considering its initial cost.

Can someone remind me the last stable build I could put on to sell it? i.e. working pass through? SPMC?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to noise36 for this post
03-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Latest beta is fine using RK modified Kodi 15.2 and passthough for all HD audio.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
03-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Like so many of you I too have finally given up on this thing after fighting with it for over a year. I just built a HTPC and wish I would have done it long ago. It cost much more but the results are awsome.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lantom for this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kodi Helix or SPMC? ffantazzini 12 24,373 03-06-2017 02:03 PM
Last Post: Carsten
  SPMC zoom not maintaining aspect hder22 11 4,872 07-26-2015 12:55 AM
Last Post: hder22
  Kodi and SPMC forum board change chris57 0 3,786 04-21-2015 08:48 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Kodi 14.2 Helix – The Final Translation (Final) released djstx2003 24 16,353 04-11-2015 12:42 AM
Last Post: chris57
  SPMC and LibRTMP Brain_Killer 2 2,518 12-17-2014 01:54 PM
Last Post: Brain_Killer