Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Conversion different audioformats with Kodi on Chameleon
02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Conversion different audioformats with Kodi on Chameleon
After a really disappointing start with my Chameleon in dec 2015, it works with the latest firmware and Kodi a lot better.
Having owned the complete range of TVIX's players, this is totally different.

My question concerns the exported audioformats over hdmi.

I have a tv-set which decodes several audio-formats. So I use the "pass-through" option in Kodi.
This works for all content with DD 5.1 and DTS formats. But with ie. DTS-MA or True HD, it stays very silent. If I change the supported HDMI audio -formats in Kodi, it only plays in PCM 2.0.
I also tried to set a fixed output in 5.1 in Kodi settings, but that isn't the solution as it even results DTS coded files in PCM 2.0.
I remember that my TVIX (6600 or 3DS2) send DTS to my tv when I used DTS-Ma coded material. So, some kind of conversion takes place at these TVIX devices.

So, my question is. Is there a way to realtime recode HD audioformats back to DD, AC-3 or DTS formats?
My tv supports these audio formats:
Surround Sound System Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1 EX, Dolby 7.1 EX,
Dolby Pro-Logic ll/llx, DTS 5.1. DTS ES 6.1,
DTS Neo:6, AAC*
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2016, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 11:17 PM by chris57.)
RE: Conversion different audioformats with Kodi on Chameleon
Like you say an Android/Kodi player is totally different to the equivalent Tvix player. A current day Tvix player equivalent is the NMT Vten or even the upcoming audiophile A500Pro with its Analogue audio DAC and upgraded internal components like the PSU etc.

DTS-HD/DTS-MA has a DTS core, so there's no conversion just backward compatibility. TrueHD did have decoding early on in Sigma chips but it was withdrawn, TrueHD to PCM. However in Kodi if you select those codecs to passthrough they will passthrough DTS-HD and TrueHD. Your receiving device has to simply play the core DTS track. TrueHD can be different though as some rips dont have an AC3 track also and therefore require a second AC3 track at times. Use mediainfo to see what audio the problem files have etc;
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Test the inbuilt EMC media centre with your files to see if it works as expected there. Then you'll know its a Kodi rather than box issue. Also take a screenshot of the hardware and audio settings pages so others using a Tv like yours can compare.

I'm not as lucky my TV decodes not a lot. Thinking about a soundbar or even a cheap AVR as I have a couple of monitor speakers and a centre speaker sitting doing nothing. However I live in a flat so the neighbours wont be pleased if i got full hog which is why im thinking soundbar but then HDMI or Optiocal? Multi HDMI or single, multi would allow me to check individual players. I would want a display telling me exactly what audio is received and outputted though.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
02-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks Chris for your input.

I found my solution in connecting the spdif cable along with the hdmi cable
I changed the audiosetting in the Android settingsmenu from passthrough on hdmi to spdif.
After selecting this, I have audio on all files I play on the Chameleon. It's downgraded to DD or DTS, but I'm happy with that.

My tv is a Beovision 9 with build-in audio-decoding. You can only select the inputsource (hdmi or Spdif) with digital sources. The rest is done automatically.
(Can't paste a picture)
02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Things start to clear slowly.

I'm wondering, why do I have only PCM 2.0 (over hdmi) when I enable the passthrough setting for DTS and disable the DTS-MA/True HD, when playing a DTS-HD/Ma source? Apparently Kodi doesn't downgrade the DTS-HD?Ma audio to DTS format. Or it does, but travels only along the spdif cable?
That would be logic, wouldn't it be? (downgraded DTS-HD to DTS over hdmi)
02-19-2016, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 12:11 PM by Willem55.)
your Beovision 9 does Dolby Digital 5.1/6.1 EX, Dolby 7.1 EX, Dolby Pro, Logic II/IIx, DTS ES 6.1, DTS Neo: 6

So no DTS-MA or True HD over HDMI or spdiff. My advice is to stick to HDMI where the supported formats work fine, for DTS-MA or True HD set Kodi audio setting to downscale or use the audio setting during playback to select the DTS or DD sub stream.... when they are missing you have to convert the audio in your PC.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Android 5 & 6 on Chameleon Chameleon User 10 2,871 08-12-2016 09:47 AM
Last Post: tosh123
  my experience with Chameleon nickjack-pt 12 7,296 11-19-2014 07:13 PM
Last Post: K_C_