Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Firmware thread cleanup
11-22-2015, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2015 04:49 PM by Willem55.)
RE: 20151023 (1.0.33) - Beta Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware
He is not blaming anyone try reading before you rant your opinion.
The question was is Rockchip still working on it the answer was why not? they just released this 3 weeks ago.

you just come in to barf what we all know and experience.. thanks for for adding no value whatsoever to this forum.....

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Hi! Does anyone know when the next version of the software comes out? I found a French forum on information that there are different versions of the kodi of RK. Where can I find Kodi RK RC3?
11-25-2015, 10:15 PM
(11-22-2015 04:48 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  He is not blaming anyone try reading before you rant your opinion.
The question was is Rockchip still working on it the answer was why not? they just released this 3 weeks ago.

you just come in to barf what we all know and experience.. thanks for for adding no value whatsoever to this forum.....

I appreciate the way YOU add value and welcome people expressing their thoughts. Don't need to be rude, I wasn't! And I would say that given the thanks the post received I suppose I wasn't the only one thinking this way!

Taking a protective stance each time someone express criticism in front of a situation that isn't respectful to customers is not a good way to earn respect.
[+] 4 users say Thank You to Curendir for this post
11-25-2015, 11:57 PM
You are not a customer here... this is a user forum and we are all users.
You come here and start criticizing two very helpful users and ranting on the obvious..
not smart at all.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
11-27-2015, 09:09 PM
hi Members,

this is my first post on the forum. i use the OHC a while now, i read a lot on the forum. and i must say the OHC is a dissapointment for me now. i did quite some FW upgrades/downgrades, kodi, spmc installs... now the new beta, with the new kodi app. i have stutterfree video!! yeah, after weeks of play!

pretty weird right, how would a "normal" consumer coop with this?

anyway, now i do not have 5.1 channels. only two... as soon as i change the bitstream or 5.1 in kodi the stutters are back... man a raspberry with lower specs blows this beautiful OHC away! why?

could we create a bootable sd without the android, just talking to the hardware allone?

hopefully there will be a stable FW with everything working... otherwist, go raspberry.
11-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Any chance to have the "Bitstream" option for the SPDIF audio output ?
11-29-2015, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 04:32 PM by MormoraDi.)
"Any chance to have the "Bitstream" option for the SPDIF audio output ?"

As far as I know, the limitations of SPDIF signalling protocol and bandwidth, prevent this from being possible. It will, at best, only be able to provide Dolby Digital 5.1 at 16bit/96kHz and 640kb/s and 5.1 DTS at 24bit/96kHz and 1536 kbit/s.

I might have been getting this wrong, but there are several more tech-savvy users here who can give a more elaborate answer.
11-29-2015, 04:47 PM
Yep you need HDMI for HD audio. So that's DTS-HD, TrueHD, ATMOS none of which can be bitstreamed by anything other than HDMI.

See here for specific Kodi:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=181681

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

11-30-2015, 06:31 PM
I hope for some progress before Christmas ... one year after release Sad
[+] 1 user says Thank You to locki for this post
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 12:23 PM by GFORCE100.)
(11-30-2015 06:31 PM)locki Wrote:  I hope for some progress before Christmas ... one year after release Sad

Some odd feeling tells me you're not the only one Smile Sadly, each and every company decides its own destiny via the methods it deems worthy to achieve those goals. The so called "Free market" regulates the rest with, at select times, the judiciary system and government regulation. Most power (read influence) comes in the hands of customers (as a collective group), or in the case of entities with shares, shareholders, who can (with the right number of necessary votes) "control" the end result (to a high degree). My personal feeling is, especially with the fact that Android TV's with extensive capabilities are cropping up more and more (and this is the future for TV's whether it's Android all the way, or a different OS, but generally choose any "App" you desire capable), and the competition from China in the media player space, that unless Cloud Media reconsider their priorities then they'll find themselves in a tight spot of bother to coin the phrase. You either reach out and grab capitalism by the "you know what", or capitalism eats you for breakfast. The saying I like most in this world reads as follows: business has no sweethearts.

Fingers crossed.
12-01-2015, 03:42 PM
one month beta firmware?!?!?!?!?!

@Cimzaki - i've netflix working, not 4k but it's working

@GFORCE100 - freemarket ok but aZZhole no...

@Francois - solution is kodi 16...
[+] 3 users say Thank You to kayama728 for this post
12-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Just wait id OHC releases Lollipop next year, then Netflix not working problems start all over again.
12-01-2015, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 05:08 PM by GFORCE100.)
(12-01-2015 03:42 PM)kayama728 Wrote:  @GFORCE100 - freemarket ok but aZZhole no...

If by that you mean the rather slow and laid back attitude to releasing firmware fixes as exemplified by Cloud Media then I concur.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to GFORCE100 for this post
12-01-2015, 05:16 PM
So OK.............. who's faster in releasing firmware for RK3288 then..?
or on Hisilicon or Sigma for that matter....

12-01-2015, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2015 10:55 PM by GFORCE100.)
(12-01-2015 05:16 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  So OK.............. who's faster in releasing firmware for RK3288 then..?
or on Hisilicon or Sigma for that matter....

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and reactions so long as they stay within the realm of constructive criticism and good mannerism, thus sway away from foul language and insults.

With that said my personal stance on all this firmware mayhem is as follows:

Issues directly relating to the Rockchip SoC:
- There is little or nothing Cloud Media can do other than to exert pressure on Rockchip to release low level firmware updates for these SoC's. The same is true for other media player manufacturers who have chosen to pursue the Rockchip route for their media players. Taking legal action in China is a no-option, at least for the foreseeable future (Chinese companies know this, even though at times it would be in their own interests - China is more capitalistic than the West in this respect). As such, while it is deeply frustrating to have to live with bugs that are the direct result of Rockchip, one must come to appreciate the situation Cloud Media is in, and consequently not expect more than is realistically feasible. Yes, Cloud Media is responsible for choosing a Rockchip SoC, and perhaps they'll take note not to make the same mistake twice when it comes to designing the Open Hour MKII, but what's done is done, and as it stands the Open Hour Chameleon does have a RK3288 SoC, therefore effort instead should be focused on making it deliver the best media experience available, period. No amount of pure complaining has any chance of success. Constructive feedback on the other hand can be very helpful in "fixing things" today, tomorrow, or even the day after.

Issues not related to the Rockchip SoC:
- There are various bits and pieces within Open Hour firmware that are UI based, Android based, or App based. For all these I find it inadequate that they're not taken more seriously. I especially am surprised that after a year since release very quick to fix language errata is still there. On one hand one may think to himself/herself that the reason for this is that they're not high priority for Cloud Media to bother fixing them (yet), on the other though it does have that connotation to make one think that Cloud Media doesn't care (enough).

Bottom Line:
- I personally believe that many people on this forum and elsewhere are not only saddened by the current state of affairs involving their Open Hour Chameleon user experience in that it fails to deliver on many fronts, most of which void the device from day to day use, but are perhaps even more devastated by how Cloud Media is handling this from a marketing perspective. Everyone should voice their own thoughts on this delicate issue (delicate due to it involving people's behavior and skill-set), however in my view of what's gone on, for how long, and how long more it may take for these errata to finally be laid to rest, Cloud Media's marketing department should have come out in the open and made a public statement. This in my view should have thanked everyone for choosing to be a Open Hour user, for sticking around despite "issues", and to outline what Cloud Media is doing to make things right again. People from my observation generally get agitated (more so and more so) if they're left to fender for themselves and feel second rate due to the simple fact of being ignored by those who one expects to behave quite the opposite.

Just my 2 cents is all.
[+] 8 users say Thank You to GFORCE100 for this post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] 20150601 (1.0.27) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware jamaikajon 1 2,307 08-06-2015 03:13 PM
Last Post: chris57