Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Chameleon having problems streaming from NAS
12-21-2015, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2015 10:06 PM by Toker08.)
Chameleon having problems streaming from NAS
Hi,
I bought the Chameleon last week and fired it up during the weekend. The first things I did was attach it to my LAN via Ethernet (cable) and install the latest fw (27) and SPMC 15.

After that I started SPMC, connected to my NAS (Synology DS1815+) via NFS, and let SPMC scrape the media directories (Movies, TV and Music) on the NAS that I had added as media sources in SPMC.

But the disappointment was huge when I discovered that everything I try to play stutters and/or buffers in a way that makes the player useless.

Playing the same media files from the same NAS on my PCH A-400 (Ethernet over SMB) or on the Chameleon from a USB-stick works fine.

Any ideas about what the problem might be and how it can be resolved? I'd hate to have to return the Chameleon but will have to if I can't solve this problem.

Thanks,
Thomas
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2015, 02:00 AM
RE: Chameleon having problems streaming from NAS
try to use SMB protocol, with my synology it works fine just some still some little shuttering on 23,976 fps movies every 1/2 hour Sad
[+] 1 user says Thank You to locki for this post
12-22-2015, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 01:55 PM by Toker08.)
(12-22-2015 02:00 AM)locki Wrote:  try to use SMB protocol, with my synology it works fine just some still some little shuttering on 23,976 fps movies every 1/2 hour Sad

Thanks, I will try SMB instead of NFS this evening or tomorrow.
12-23-2015, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 08:49 AM by Toker08.)
(12-22-2015 02:00 AM)locki Wrote:  try to use SMB protocol, with my synology it works fine just some still some little shuttering on 23,976 fps movies every 1/2 hour Sad

I gave SMB a quick try last night. Were you able to browse to your shared dirs on your NAS?

I can see the NAS when I browse the network (Browse for new share -> Windows network (SMB)) but when I click on the NAS I get en error message, "Operation not permitted".

I was expecting it to ask for user name and password for the NAS but I just get that error message.

There also seems to be the option to manually type in path, user name etc instead of browsing but I did not have time to try that last night.
12-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Have you first added a share to the same location in Settings > File Manager? If you have and have ticked the remember password details you are not asked for it again when adding the same location in say Video or Music etc.

I use SMB shares on Kodi from my Synology NAS on both the Gecko and OHC. I also use SMB shares from my PC and a USB HDD that is connected to my router.

Sounds like a permissions failure. Either you have not set up Kodi correctly (wonrg user/pwword) or on your NAS created the user/pword and given it the permissions for RO/RW. Dont get caught using the same one for more than one device as its easy to access twice and the second gets refused.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
12-23-2015, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2015 05:58 PM by Toker08.)
Hi Chris, do you mean in SBMC (System -> File manager) or in the Android File Explorer (Tools -> File Explorer)?

I actually don't think I did it in SBMC, I think I jumped straight to Videos -> Files -> Add videos. Should I try adding the share on the NAS through the File manager first?

I also saw a post (from 2014) on a Synology forum regarding issues with XBMC, generating the exact same error message that I get. I'm not allowed to post the link since I'm so new to the forum but that post was about XBMC trying to access the Guest account first, rather than prompting you for credentials, meaning that the Guest account should be enabled on the NAS for sharing to work. The Guest account is currently not enabled on my NAS.

Any thoughts on that, or why NFS performs so poorly when streaming although it was very easy to set up?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
12-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Happy holidays mate.

I would also try using the OHC latest firmware and the 'special RK Kodi' if using pass-through. If you've installed the latest firmware it has a new framework that does not play well with non 'special RKKodi' versions of Kodi and SPMC. SPMC was the Android go to for Kodi but even though the developer Koying has a OHC/RK3288 box he's now going to add the code into Kodi mediacodec hardware playback not in SPMC. Things may have changed since last time I read.

What hardware acceleration are you using in Kodi/SPMC and have you setup both the Android settings and the RK Kodi settings after installing the latest firmware. You can have as many SD cards as you like so can have a test one with say RK on it and another with older firmware and Kodi.

Are you using pass-through or down-mix audio? Iif pass-through then you are not getting what I'm seeing re missing audio on playback with the current OHC firmware/RKKodi but should bve getting pretty good playback.

I was referring to Kodi settings for the NAS issue. If you set up the NAS share in Kodi Settings first before adding to video it remembers the ones entered when adding as a source. Otherwise add a Guest account to your NAS if you wish but give it only RO ability and see if it access OK then.

Reasons as to why NFS performed poorly for you not sure. I use SMB and have not had any streaming problems. Android is a funny OS to work with for filesystems that are not native so perhaps it may also be similar for some network protocols. Setting up SMB is a bugger on it as you have to root it and then use an SMB app to stream from the player via SMB.

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
12-23-2015, 11:35 PM
I got SMB working, I added the share by typing in all the info manually in the SPMC File Manager. Thanks a lot for your input! Smile

But there was no change at all in the buffering compared to streaming via NFS, it's just as bad Sad

I also tried adding the video cache settings (advancedsettings dot xml), as mentioned in the Wiki and elsewhere. But that just seemed to make things worse.

Do you mean the Beta fw (33) when you say latest fw? I'm on the latest released fw (27) now. And I'm running SPMC 15 (dot 0 dot 0). Should I try stock Kodi (15 dot 2) or try to hunt down that "special RK Kodi" that you mentioned?

I'm not using passthrough, I just use 2 channels for sound. Sacrilege? Wink

I agree that it's great to just be able top swap SD cards, I did my latest setup on a new card.

Regarding HW acceleration I have not touched the OOTB-settings for that.

It's so strange (and frustrating!) that the A-400 can stream just fine from the NAS but not the Chameleon. If I can't sort out that problem the Chameleon is of no (or VERY little) use to me unfortunately.
12-24-2015, 07:39 AM
I have no problems streaming from my Synology 415+ to the OHC via SMB. I'm using the wired Ethernet connector though. Are you sure that your networking setup isn't causing these problems?

Have you tried installing the speedtest app on the OHC and doing a measurement of your internet speed. That at least gives you an indication whether or not the network could be causing an issue (assuming that you have an internet connection that has sufficient up/down speed to make the results significant).
12-24-2015, 12:28 PM
(12-24-2015 07:39 AM)PJK Wrote:  I have no problems streaming from my Synology 415+ to the OHC via SMB. I'm using the wired Ethernet connector though. Are you sure that your networking setup isn't causing these problems?

Have you tried installing the speedtest app on the OHC and doing a measurement of your internet speed. That at least gives you an indication whether or not the network could be causing an issue (assuming that you have an internet connection that has sufficient up/down speed to make the results significant).

Thanks for the input! I'm also running wired Ethernet. I did do a speed-test as a part of my initial troubleshooting (before I posted here) and got 10 Mbit/s both downstream and upstream.

My internet connection is 100 Mbit/s downstream and 10 Mbit/s upstream so I assumed it's a limitation in the OHC's bus (I read that somewhere). Is that situation normal or should I be getting 100 Mbit/s downstream on the OHC too?

As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, my A-400 streams the same content just fine from the same NAS over wired Ethernet on the same network. I've actually tried the exaxt same cable and port on the router too and the A-400 streams fine but the Chameleon does not.

To add to the frustration, a friend bought another Android player yesterday. I'm not mentioning which brand or model in fear of being accused of attempted solicitation but anyone who wants to know can PM me. It's a well known brand and model.

He brought it over this morning (unopened) so I unboxed it, unplugged the network cable from the Chameleon and inserted it into the other player instead and set it up, incl Kodi 15.2.

And the other player plays just fine from the NAS with no tweaking or troubleshooting whatsoever needed.

I only set up NFS on the other player since that's faster and easier to set up.

So the problem I experience seems to be very specific to the Chameleon and not a general network, NAS or Kodi issue.

I have not done a speedtest on the other player though.

Could I have received a bad/defective Chameleon? I certainly prefer the Chameleon to the other player (better case, much nicer home screen, better remote...) so I still really want to get the Chameleon to work so I don't need to return it and buy a player of another brand.

But I'm running out of ideas over here (and am starting to feel somewhat stupid too) so any further input is very much appreciated! Smile
12-24-2015, 12:33 PM
my advice is: return that, because you have defect unit and buy nvidia shield console.... because chameleon still dont play 23,976 videos without shuttering and no HD audio output, also never HD netflix etc ....
12-25-2015, 12:05 PM
(12-24-2015 12:28 PM)Toker08 Wrote:  Thanks for the input! I'm also running wired Ethernet. I did do a speed-test as a part of my initial troubleshooting (before I posted here) and got 10 Mbit/s both downstream and upstream.

My internet connection is 100 Mbit/s downstream and 10 Mbit/s upstream so I assumed it's a limitation in the OHC's bus (I read that somewhere). Is that situation normal or should I be getting 100 Mbit/s downstream on the OHC too?

I have 30 Mbits/s down and 3 MBits/s up and I have no problems getting the 30 MBits/s down on speedtest on the OHC, so it should show a higher down speed than 10 MBits/s down on you connection as well (don't know if it will hit the full 100 since I don't have that speed)

Whether this is an issue with you specific OHC I can't say, but it sounds like the network adapter on yours is somehow limited to 10/10 i.s.o. 1000/1000.

Very strange indeed.
12-27-2015, 09:49 AM
what device are you writing to SD card or USB drive?

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
01-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Apologies for taking a long time to reply, I actually bought a new player (same as my friend brought over) and have been using that with no issues. But I still have the Chameleon so I'd surely welcome any further help in solving the problem.

With that said, I use an SD card. I've tried a couple and am currently on a Sandisk SDHC. 32GB, Speed Class 10.
01-20-2016, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2016 12:25 AM by chris57.)
See here for sd writing speeds and usb speeds:
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread.php?tid=421
Poorest in class but still more than quick enough to play even the highest bitrates.

I dont know if your issue is network related. I think your st, st, st , stutter that gets worse over time is exactly the same that i and all others get. I managed to resolve it to make using the ohc as a daily player with the kodi version in my signature. That's not a permanent fix though as we need rk hardware acceleration.

We urgently need a working version. kodi seem to have pissed the spmc developer so spmc may eventually be the better option for android users long term. time will tell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Chameleon FW Engineering 1.0.40 + Kodi 15.2 rc1 ellega 8 3,470 01-26-2016 10:27 AM
Last Post: openhouradmin
  open hour chameleon genel 1 1,222 12-15-2015 11:07 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Help required on open-hour chameleon furqansaeed18 6 2,886 09-03-2015 11:45 PM
Last Post: chris57
  Can Open Hour Chameleon play this type of file? piksy 11 4,755 12-04-2014 01:05 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf