Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

external player active
11-26-2015, 06:51 PM
external player active
Got my Gecko working, but if I play a DVD ISO then try to play a video from an add-on I get the message "external player active"

I have tried modifying advancedsettings but to no luck.

I know there is a DVDPlayer but I dont know what the native Gecko player is (I tried Native Player and it works sometimes). I have a list of players if I select "play with" but I dont have any of those on my gecko?

How do I fix this so I dont see this message again?

Help Smile
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: external player active
Nevermind. I found a work around. I deleted the player core xml thing and that left me withat DVDplayer (needed for Internet streams) and then I use "play with" option to switch to native player for my local NAS content.

Wish there was a way to tell KODI which player to use based on where the content comes from or by filetype, but haven't figured that out.
11-28-2015, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 12:43 AM by chris57.)
There is a way:
http://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

DVDPlayer is the Kodi player, native player is the Gecko HiMedia player.

What I do is go into HiMedia on the Home Screen and then SMB. Let it scan and then save shortcuts to my shares. That mounts a SMB point in Android. Then go back into Kodi and in Video > Add Files add those SMB montpoints I created in MediaCentre. It's supposed to give the best playback but it the only way I can get my LAN shares to play. Probably because its still got default settings with '()' in it and spaces, damn Seagate and my laziness.Big Grin

You add in Kodi via Add > RootFileSystem > MNT > SMB > Mountpoint1

On the Gecko does it not download a playercore.xml as part of the Kodi package that it downloads? When you exit and reneter Kodi it should redownload it, did for me once when I messed around trying to install another version of Kodi once.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

11-29-2015, 04:31 AM
(11-28-2015 09:25 PM)chris57 Wrote:  There is a way:

DVDPlayer is the Kodi player, native player is the Gecko HiMedia player.

What I do is go into HiMedia on the Home Screen and then SMB. Let it scan and then save shortcuts to my shares. That mounts a SMB point in Android. Then go back into Kodi and in Video > Add Files add those SMB montpoints I created in MediaCentre. It's supposed to give the best playback but it the only way I can get my LAN shares to play. Probably because its still got default settings with '()' in it and spaces, damn Seagate and my laziness.Big Grin

You add in Kodi via Add

On the Gecko does it not download a playercore as part of the Kodi package that it downloads? When you exit and reneter Kodi it should redownload it, did for me once when I messed around trying to install another version of Kodi once.

Thanks Chris

So I'm clear, HiMedia Player is the large Gecko icon on the left right? It was very basic and couldnt figure out how to exit it.

Mapping SMB in KODI worked just fine for me. I used IP address instead of name though. But I will try copying the mount points. I used the Maintenance tool script to remove the file. I confirmed its removal but not its re-download. I do know if I select "play using" I only get DVDPlayer and Native Player (making me assume the playercore is not back).

DVDPlayer now works with everything, and if I were to nitpick I only need to consider changing to native player when playing my 1080p DTS mkvs. It just seems to play smoother.
11-29-2015, 11:30 AM
It's a strange one but to edit the HiMedia MediaCentre APP you simply have to press back. Pressing home doesnt work.

DVDPlayer gave me nothing but sync issues.

Saving the mediacentre mountpoints gave me instant playback without having to select between players. Saving button presses is always a good thing IMO.Smile

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
11-29-2015, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2015 04:45 PM by Jokerchyld.)
(11-29-2015 11:30 AM)chris57 Wrote:  It's a strange one but to edit the HiMedia MediaCentre APP you simply have to press back. Pressing home doesnt work.

DVDPlayer gave me nothing but sync issues.

Saving the mediacentre mountpoints gave me instant playback without having to select between players. Saving button presses is always a good thing IMO.Smile

Yes... and I'm veeeeerrrry lazy. I will try the mappoints today and report back

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setup tips? Auggie 26 6,983 01-12-2016 07:00 PM
Last Post: chris57
  DTS downmix in native player?? purduethumbs 1 839 12-31-2015 10:34 PM
Last Post: chris57