Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setup tips?
11-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setup tips?
Long-time PCH C-200 user here, and soon-to-be new Gecko user, so I have no useful, hands-on knowledge of anything Gecko. Since it will take a couple weeks before I finally receive it, I would like to prepare in advanced.

As there isn't a whole lot of traffic here on the Gecko, nor convenient newbie stickies or fleshed out wiki's, are there any tips and recommendations for setting it up?

Is there a built-in "jukebox" GUI or do I need to download and install a third party one?

If I recall correctly, I've read in some of the posts references to different "media players" being used on the Gecko: is this in referring to a "jukebox" GUI, or is it indeed a wholesale replacement of the software that reads, interprets and plays videos/music?

I will be playing mostly full-sized BD copies and ISO's, with a smattering of the typical mkv, mov, and avi videos, off a USB drive attached to the Gecko.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2015, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 04:52 PM by Willem55.)
RE: Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setup tips?
the Kodi Jukebox GUI works nice... check out http://www.kodi.tv and it's WiKi for android based application.
You must use the one that comes with the Gecko as it is optimized... the generic android version they distribute has a problem with 23,976fps and also HD audio.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
11-09-2015, 08:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 08:59 PM by chris57.)
RE: Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setup tips?
Welcome.

I used this jukebox for a while:
http://mizuu.tv/download/
https://github.com/MizzleDK/Mizuu/wiki

It's a really nice jukebox and allows you to choose your default video player. So you can choose the inbuilt hisilicon one or one you install like MXPlayer.

Most go for Kodi as along with a jukebox it also has the ability to stream live TV etc. I use Kodi but use the hisilcon player to playback my files within Kodi. Used the MediaCenter, saved SMB shares, added them to Kodi via root > mnt > smb > mountpoints. If using USB you again look in root>mnt

Try to think of any android player as a mini-pc rather than just a media player. You may lose on top end performance but you gain on flexibility and features.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

11-10-2015, 04:25 AM
I forgot to ask, but what file systems does the Gecko support on external USB drives? NTFS? HFS+?
11-11-2015, 12:50 AM
RE: Soon-to-be New Gecko owner: Any install, "jukebox" and media player setu...
(11-09-2015 08:30 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Welcome.

I used this jukebox for a while:
http://mizuu.tv/download/
https://github.com/MizzleDK/Mizuu/wiki

Is there a way to install this manually? I found it on the web but it doesn't show up in the google play store anymore. You can still download it from their website but I don't know where to begin when it comes to Telnet'ing or FTP'ing into the box.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
11-11-2015, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2015 09:58 PM by chris57.)
I used to use Mizuu however they stopped development and moved to Android TV.

Just put the mizuu.apk on a USB stick and install it from there. Does it still work for a non Android TV Android box? If not can older apk's be made available that worked fine on standard android boxes.

Install MXPlayer free with the codec package if you are a downmix user. See XDA MXPlayer pack for codec armneon07. On the Gecko you can use the inbuilt video player for downmix its just the OHC that gives no audio for downmix requiring a third party player like Kodi's.

11-18-2015, 12:22 AM
(11-11-2015 05:38 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Just put the mizuu.apk on a USB stick and install it from there. Does it still work for a non Android TV Android box? If not can older apk's be made available that worked fine on standard android boxes.

Had no idea how to install it but kept poking around until I figured it out. Liking the interface so far.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
11-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Got my Gecko the other week. Unfortunately, I don't have any NTFS formatted media large enough to hold the size of a typical BD ISO or AVCHD copy; I have an HFS+ formatted 250GB external USB drive that although the Gecko does recognize it, it can't "see" any of the "normal" folders on it. Strangely, it does recognize the Trashes folder (the only HFS+ folder it recognizes, unfortunately) and the LOST DIR directory that the Android OS itself automatically creates on the drive.

The GUI is definitely leaps and bounds better than that on my C-200. It's relatively responsive. Due to the aforementioned issue of the inability to recognize any media files on my HFS+ formatted drive, I can't really try out Kodi or Media Center at this time.

I have to wait until I go back during Christmas break when I get a spare 3TB I have in storage before I can really put the Gecko to the test...
11-28-2015, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2015 04:37 PM by chris57.)
I thought of this APP to see if it can mount the HFS+ HDD in android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...r&hl=en_GB
However this says it requires root access which we do not have on the Gecko:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1942158

Can you see more using ESFilexplorer with hidden files and root explorer enabled?

5TB USB HDD's have been on offer for £89 here.

11-28-2015, 04:47 PM
(11-28-2015 04:36 PM)chris57 Wrote:  Can you see more using ESFilexplorer with hidden files and root explorer enabled?

Eh, not sure how to implement/access/enable what you are suggesting... Remember, I'm 100% Android knowledge-deficient.
11-28-2015, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2015 09:11 PM by chris57.)
This is a must for any Android device IMO:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_GB

You can navigate and then start media playback from the file itself, selecting which option for playback you like, Kodi, ESFileplayer, HiMedia, etc. In its settings you'll see the two potions I mentioned.

There's a chance that you may find it can 'find' your HFS+ device itself.

There's quite a few google links worth reading on HFS+ and Android:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/n...re.333019/
http://receivetipstricks.com/use-externa...n-android/

The last suggests using Total Commander with the USB plugin and I dont think it requires root. Give it a try also.

12-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Auggie, how are you liking the Open Hour Gecko? Like you, I am a long time Popcorn Hour C-200 owner.

I too am am choosing between the VTEN and the Open Hour. This is a gift for very non-tech savy members of my family. The idea is to hook up a single external, self powered, USB drive (formatted NTFS) with media on it and show them how to navigate to the media files.

Requirements:
  1. DTS-HD Bitstream Passthrough
  2. Dolby True Bitstream Passthrough
  3. Native 24hz frame rate output
  4. Intuitive navigation

Question: Does the media guide require a constant connection to the internet? Or only while indexing? I've only tried the media guide on my C-200 briefly when it was released, it was so slow I found it unusable. I've always just used the no-frills default text-only navigation.

Any feedback would be helpful. Cheers.
12-04-2015, 05:44 PM
(12-04-2015 05:19 PM)highfidelity Wrote:  Auggie, how are you liking the Open Hour Gecko? Like you, I am a long time Popcorn Hour C-200 owner.

Any feedback would be helpful. Cheers.

I haven't touched it since I unboxed and plugged it in because it can't really see media files on HFS+ drive (though it does recognize an HFS+ drive; I haven't tried the suggestions from Christ yet) which is all I have presently. I did watch one mkv movie off a thumb drive, but because it was heavily compressed (~8 GB) with standard AC3 audio, it wasn't a real test of the Gecko's capabilities.

I'm currently a full-time student in another state far away from home so I don't have a full HT setup in my apartment, other than a new 2015 LG 55" OLED (55EG9100), of which I'm still using the stock speakers (quite good, BTW). If I do go an external speaker setup, it will probably be the Yamaha YAS-203 Sound Bar, which connects only via optical and therefore does not do full DTS-HD or TrueHD decoding (HDMI required for those).

In the meantime, I'm using the built-in apps of the LG for watching internet-based streaming content.

I will be going home for the holidays next week and when I return in January I will bring a 3TB NTFS external drive back loaded with full Blu-Ray copies. That's probably not soon enough to help you determine which media player to select, but what swayed my decision towards the Gecko was cost and the fact that it is the newest player from Cloud Media and thus should have the potential for far longer support via firmware updates than the VTEN.

But keep in mind that it may take several weeks or longer to receive any of the players because Cloud Media builds and ships them in relatively infrequent batches.
12-04-2015, 07:08 PM
(12-04-2015 05:44 PM)Auggie Wrote:  I haven't touched it since I unboxed and plugged it .....

Thank you for the quick feedback.

Since my questions, I stumbled across a thread on the Kodi forums which makes me pretty nervous about the Open Hour Gecko.

Most notably I am worried about:
  1. Incorrect playback of 23,976hz video files at 24hz causing a stutter during playback
  2. Ignoring the preferred subtitle language designated by the media
  3. While resuming a video the player can't play HD audio
  4. No support for subtitles in Full Unicode UTF-8
  5. Buggy Remote (While the video is playing the Box has low responsiveness and the navigation left - right breaks constantly sometimes is required 2 or more clicks to perform the action)
  6. No fast forward or rewind (is there any way to jump to different points in the media?)

I tried to link the thread but since I am a new member here in the forum I am not permitted to post links. However, the name of the thread on the Kodi forums is "Android - Open Hour Gecko Unboxing and Feedback"

Does anyone else here have feedback regarding these issues?

Cheers
12-06-2015, 01:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 10:20 PM by chris57.)
That is an old review with items listed that we never a problem from a guy with an agenda. Item 6 for example, the way you ff/rw is dependant on which software you use to playback the media. Use Kodi and all the usual buttons work. Use the inbuilt Mediacentre app and you press left/right to jump forwards/back.

The remote has to be pressed and the red led emit. Sometimes I can press it and the red led doesn't light because I've flicked rather than pressed straight down due to the rubbery buttons.

It's a lower powered android player with a pretty much turnkey chip that has already received good feedback on other players.

I've tested with stereo downmix only playing the Avatar Bluray full edition with three differing versions of the film, numerous hd subtitle track, audio tracks, etxc. and using the inbuilt players BDLite menu I've had no issues at all so far. Expect to have to use the BDlite menu to select the correct tracks as no BDLite style setup can detect and select languages etc.

Using the Gecko for my daily player of scene releases through mountpoints from the inbuilt mediaplayer through Kodi. Also watching live streams etc. It's a purpose built 15.0 kodi with a playercore.xml downloaded for better compatibility with Kodi and yet stil giving HD audio and 3D playback which Kodi does not have yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the Gecko dead? Jokerchyld 5 1,752 09-04-2016 11:40 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Dead Gecko jaxob 3 1,656 01-14-2016 06:52 PM
Last Post: Willem55
  Cannot install Youtube Jokerchyld 0 634 01-02-2016 05:11 PM
Last Post: Jokerchyld
  DTS downmix in native player?? purduethumbs 1 836 12-31-2015 10:34 PM
  Gecko rebooting Locutus75 14 3,608 12-23-2015 09:26 PM
  Gecko first impression grimmace92 29 11,162 12-02-2015 04:39 AM
  external player active Jokerchyld 5 2,820 11-29-2015 04:44 PM
Sad Gecko power ac plug dimensions? pklaas 6 2,365 11-11-2015 12:08 PM
  Gecko Bugfix Requests Willem55 33 11,699 10-30-2015 12:19 PM
  Fails to play Dolby TrueHD tracks in both android and optimized KODI media players. mishastr 21 7,866 10-19-2015 10:11 PM