Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

[split] Nvidia Shield
10-15-2015, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 04:12 AM by hder22.)
RE: Openhour - please update your customers!
(10-14-2015 09:44 AM)tosh123 Wrote:  No, you can software install straight from the USB-thumb like the chameleon.

On OHC I install my software using Google Play Store and Amazon AppStore.
Much better that using USB memory sticks.

If 4K/60p works when I get my first 4k TV, I am getting a third OHC. I have 0 interest in Netflix and YouTube.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2015, 06:05 AM
(10-14-2015 03:43 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  And before you believe the hype read here...

I don't believe hypes, thats an error i have done with the chameleon. I own now a shield and can compare with the chameleon and all i say have i done and tested by myself.

Quote: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297
what's with auto framerate and HD audio passthrough?

works both, maybe since update V2, before i don't know. HD audio at now in the same way like the RPi it does - via LPCM. Its the same quality like the receiver it does.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...6/#4693886
And i'm really shure that native passthrough will follow in short ("but it is currently being worked on.")

You shouldn't assume the same speed in development like open hour does to others. In the time OH is sleeping others have the next release of the OS and things, that are not working for a week working now.

Quote:read kodi forum on logitech key mapping... CEC really?

I don't know, what your point is. I have yesterday mapped my "color" keys from the tv remote in Kodi with the Addon "keymap editor" to various functions and it works. If this is real CEC or emulated CEC is totaly care - it works flawlessy.

Quote:Sideloading is by using a USB thumbdrive.... that is the definition..

OK, i wasn't aware of it, i had think its the way with an USB cable on the OTG port.
Anyway - you can install Apps via stores like the google play store and you can install apps without rooting vom SD-card, USB thumb and so on like the chameleon it does.

Quote:Netflix 4K wants an 25Mbps ISP link and no downloading while watching.. most 4K TV's come with Netflix and Youtube apps.

not mine TV. And a lot of TV from the 2014 generation play youtube 4k videos in 1280x720 because of the codec other than x264/x265 (VP9?)
10-15-2015, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 03:43 PM by chris57.)
What's the point in downscaling 4K to 720p? You may aswell just download 720p.

What's the point in streaming 4K when like HD those that are streamed are low bitrate. Think BBD HD, etc. where they only use 6Mb/s as max bitrate. Low quality 4K downscaled to 720p is not where anyone should be wanting to go.

Moving the Grass is greener Nvidia posts into the ..............Nivdis Shield thread.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

10-15-2015, 09:38 AM
RE: [split] Nvidia Shield
(10-15-2015 08:04 AM)chris57 Wrote:  What's the point in downscaling 4K to 720p? You may aswell just download 720p.

The Point is for downscaled content you don't need a box like the chameleon or the shield wich where advertised as 4k devices. If you only need Full HD you can buy a Raspberry or a HiMedia Q5quad, wich seems the best solution for mediaplaying. (and if you have ever seen the crisp and sharpness of a 4k TV you wan't all your content as 4k :-))
Some people like me have purchased the chameleon as an all in one throuble free media player, playing 4k, playing 3D, playing HD sound and so on. But we have this discussed many times without a solution because the open hour apologists talk all problems nicely.
[sarcasm ON]
(i have no receiver, so stereo sound is OK and it doesn't take matter, that DTS-HD doesn't work. I have no 4k TV so it doesn't take matter, that 4k doesn't work proper. I don't use Kodi, so it is OK that it is printed on the package but isn't supported by the manufacturer. I even have no TV at all, so it is OK that the chameleon works only as a doorstopper)
[sarcasm OFF]

Quote:What's the point in streaming 4K when like HD those that are streamed are low bitrate. Think BBD HD, etc. where they only use ^Mb/s as max bitrate.

Don't know what your point is, VDSL 50.000 seems enough for streaming 4k and Youtube or Amazon seems to work in Ultra HD

Quote:Moving the Grass is greener Nvidia posts into the ..............Nivdis Shield thread.

Your are right, i have not mentioned the shield in this thread for the first time, i have only answered. The point is, the shield is all that, was the chameleon should be if the advertised characteristics are working. the shield shows also, that the "suboptimal" Android can be bent to work,

the Open Hour developers needs only to do all the same, avoid all mistakes that nVidia have done, do all the things, that are running good and all the people where happy.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tosh123 for this post
10-15-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 03:51 PM by chris57.)
The point is that low quality, due to low bitrate, 4K is not worth it. The selling point of 4K is quality and therefore streaming for a start is not really where you should be going as we know from HD streaming that it is low quality HD due to its bitrate. Same for 4K where it's around 15Mb/s which is very low bitrate.

You I think were thinking I was talking about speed not quality. As it happens in the UK many cannot even get the minimum 15Mb/s required for Netflix4K/. I get 7Mb/s on my ISP so cannot even stream 4K without lagging due to my ISP. Apart from those who run fibre or live within spitting distance of their exchange presently in the UK 4K streaming is not working.

Bluray 4K playback is where you should be going with 4K. Th'at where you'll see the 4K quality making the big difference. However I don't think we've seen many or indeed any Bluray4K releases yet.

With regards the OHC the two main issues are now resolved in engineering firmwares that can be viewed on Youtube from links provided on the forum. Then you'll have two devices that can do just about everything but one costing nearly twice that of the other.

11-29-2015, 04:43 PM
This thread was for discussion not for posting firmware releases and changelogs for a player that this forum has zero to do with, dont do it again.