Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

[split] Nvidia Shield
06-24-2015, 12:58 AM
Smile [split] Nvidia Shield Discussions
After eight months of long wait to use the Chameleon Open Hour with the minimum specifications, I gave up. It served only to increase my energy bill and $150 down the drain.

I bought the new player / game console "nVidia Shield Android Tv Pro" and is a bullet ...

Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k, games, etc. etc...

Kodi works flawlessly!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: 20150601 (1.0.27) - Open Hour Chameleon Android Firmware
(06-24-2015 12:58 AM)DELCID Wrote:  After eight months of long wait to use the Chameleon Open Hour with the minimum specifications, I gave up. It served only to increase my energy bill and $150 down the drain.
I have also given up. I will wait for the Lollipop update, if it ever cames out, if it will fix the things (i doub't). Until now a RPi works fine.

Quote:I bought the new player / game console "nVidia Shield Android Tv Pro" and is a bullet ...

Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k, games, etc. etc...

Kodi works flawlessly!

Do the Kodi Version for the shield plays also UHD content? Whats about DTS-HD? Does it frameratswitching?
06-24-2015, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 02:17 PM by chris57.)
I think you are doing the right thing as we know from experience (Sigma/Rockchip) that until some chip manufacturer (hopefully Nvidia) starts putting pressure on the others to produce a perfect working solution we wont get there. So awaiting lollipop and seeing what outside of standard reviews and into the hands of owners the nvidia delivers in reality is the prudent decision. Nvidia have had good and bad forays into non graphic cardland.

Will nvidia be the one to do it we dont know, we do know that they are v.expensive and that they, like any RK3288 player will, and does (no HD audio passthorugh, no 23.976fps support, etc.) according to early reviews, still require work to get it working right from the manufacturer of the chip. Its double the price of the OHC but comes with 500Gb of storage, I know 500Gb of storage can be had for £20. Then there's the worry about being tied into something like the Amazon Fire conditions but without the tools and costing too much to get out into communityland.

Let's discuss it in its own thread and not here though, this is a firmware thread for the CM engineers to find our issues, as it does look a nice player but is very very expensive. It's clever though as a lot that have been unhappy with $50 Android sticks and love their PS3 or Xbox will see it and love it as it seems aimed at games more than anything else and looks to have the goods to combine a decent games player with media a'la PS and Xbox machines. So rather than save a bit longer for a PS4 they may cut and get this device. But for $50-%100 more you could have a playstation or xbox so it very expensive, if you include the cost of a controller or other bits its the same as a PS4/XBox.

Promoting it as the perfect out of the box player is never something to do as all players require time. There's also individual wants/needs which may be totally different to yours, anything with a fan is a non starter for my purposes and as the nvidia has one its not for me.
06-24-2015, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 07:25 AM by jamaikajon.)
I will also buy a nvidia shild console. The 16GB version costs only $199. Unfortunately it is not yet available in Germany.

I find it very unfortunate that not even considered by the release date of Android lollipop. How long must we wait? It's gegagen so much time into the country and the device still does not work properly. This is certainly not alone on Android, but also to the drivers of the device. The OHC is a media player and not a tablet. Android for TV would be an advantage. Then you could also install the right apps and look for example Netflix in 4K. Everything else is tinkering :-(
06-24-2015, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 07:35 AM by chris57.)
RE: [split] Nvidia Shield Discussions
As its seems hard to realise that a firmware thread is not the place I've split the Nvidia stuff into its own thread.

CloudMedia never release firmware roadmaps. You have no right to demand it in any case. They have already told us that they are working with a new framework to get it ready. If you read you'll see that RK released it early this month to box manufacturers if its your main drive you find information on lollipop in Freaktab and other forums.

Right now can we keep this thread on topic please?

Whats not working on the Nvidia on launch as the impression is that its perfect, however ive yet to find any player or indeed games machine or PC that was perfect at launch.

A quick bit of reading found these:

23.976fps - no support and no confirmation yet that it will be added.
HD Audio - no passthrough but confirmed that it is to be included in the future.
Autoframerate - not wokring correctly, only user report nothing form Nvidia
06-24-2015, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 10:36 AM by tosh123.)
(06-24-2015 07:32 AM)chris57 Wrote:  A quick bit of reading found these:

HD Audio - no passthrough but confirmed that it is to be included in the future.

what about the 4k modes and Kodi?
06-24-2015, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 01:56 PM by Willem55.)
obviously the same issues... as the root cause is the operating system and not the hardware(drivers).
Question is will Nvidia bring enough power to the playing field to force google?

Checked out the nVidia site:
VIDEO FEATURES:
4K Ultra HD ready
4K playback at 60 FPS (VP9, H265, H264)
4K capture at 30 FPS (H264, H265)

AUDIO:
7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI
High-resolution audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB
High-resolution audio up-sample to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB
Supports: AAC, MP3, OGG Vorbis, FLAC, PCM

Now think very hard about what audio and video CODEX's you are expecting to be supported and not reading.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
06-24-2015, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 02:40 PM by chris57.)
Yep you're right here's a classic Android issue that is present and earlier portable holders would be fixed as its been known for sometime:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...fix-this-/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...or-issue-/
Works on the OHC but requires work from the standard Android OS to get it right.

Android no matter how shiny or expensive the box it comes in still has a way to go for media playback to the standard that most demanding internet streamers/downloaders demand. People are familiar with overscan, autoframerate, etc. in a way that years ago no one would have. Let's hope Lollipop is a step in the right direction.

See what you mean about codec support:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...upport-/1/
I was hopeful that this may put pressure on other chip manufacturers but i'm less so now having done a bit of a skip through the nvidia forum. But again as I said earlier its down to each individuals wants/needs.
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 03:19 PM by btezB.)
(06-24-2015 07:32 AM)chris57 Wrote:  As its seems hard to realise that a firmware thread is not the place I've split the Nvidia stuff into its own thread.

CloudMedia never release firmware roadmaps. You have no right to demand it in any case. They have already told us that they are working with a new framework to get it ready. If you read you'll see that RK released it early this month to box manufacturers if its your main drive you find information on lollipop in Freaktab and other forums.

Right now can we keep this thread on topic please?

Whats not working on the Nvidia on launch as the impression is that its perfect, however ive yet to find any player or indeed games machine or PC that was perfect at launch.

A quick bit of reading found these:

Yeh,looks like the Nvidia Shield is a bit of a Chameleon
06-24-2015, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2015 04:08 PM by chris57.)
Or a Sheep in Wolf's clothing.

Seriously though as Willem brought to our attention Android boxes will have common issues. Thankfully the resizing, codecs, and some of the others are in the OHC but I'm sure that the Nvidia will catch up. Both however will still suffer Android OS issues until or if Android ever catches up with Linux or Windows for media playing abilities.

I did like this post though and it got me wondering re DTS and other downmix for OHC owners that are none AVR/soundbar users and would like to get audio from the native player:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...stcount=47
We need someone to 'dive into the source' and see what is in there and what is enabled first though.
06-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Not really an alternative:

VC-1 (or WMV-9) videos are software decoded only so far, reason for this is that Nvidia have so far only licensed MPEG-2, H.264, HEVC (H.265), and VP9 codecs for video playback, as well as Dolby Digital (DD) and Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) for audio[1], (and unfortunately Nvidia do at least not yet offer a add-on license keys for a codec pack similar to Raspberry Pi[2]).[3] There is however apparently a hack available to enable VC-1 hardware decoding by editing Android file "/system/etc/media_codecs.xml" if you have first rooted the SATV.[6]
HD audio, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD & Dolby Atoms can not be passed through/bitstreamed, nor can those formats be software decoded and output as multichannel PCM (at this time). However, DTS (core from DTS-HD MA) and DD 5.1(AC3) can be passed through/bitstreamed or software decoded and output as multichannel PCM.[3]
Currently the Shield Android TV does not support Remote Connections, so to connect to the Shield to sideload via ADB it requires a direct connection.
The Nexus Player remote does not pair at all with the Shield console. It did with the Razer Forge, but not the Shield console.
10-14-2015, 09:44 AM
[split] nvid
(10-08-2015 04:03 AM)hder22 Wrote:  Nvidia Shield is expensive

If you count the gamecontroller with voicerecogniation the shield is cheaper than the OH chameleon.

Quote:and needs work to use with IR controls.

No, you can even for Kodi use your normal TV remote with HDMI-CEC. (or the shield remote, or another remote like logitech harmony)

Quote:Your need to sideload software.

No, you can software install straight from the USB-thumb like the chameleon.

Quote:don't think it gets much better than this for the near future.

on the shield is:
- you have NOW 8.1 hd sound in Kodi (via PCM)
- you have proper fps switching in Kodi, even to 23.97 hz
- you have 4k/60p on ports there chameleon only works with 30p
- you have Netflix 4k
- you have Youtube 4k
- you have 4k files like the Samsung Demos, wich there broken in Kodi/chameleon proper working in Kodi/shield

the only thing at now missing is proper 3D support like the Raspberry does on the shield
[+] 2 users say Thank You to tosh123 for this post
10-14-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Openhour - please update your customers!
And before you believe the hype read here... http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297
what's with auto framerate and HD audio passthrough?
read kodi forum on logitech key mapping... CEC really?
Sideloading is by using a USB thumbdrive.... that is the definition..

Netflix 4K wants an 25Mbps ISP link and no downloading while watching.. most 4K TV's come with Netflix and Youtube apps.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
10-14-2015, 04:55 PM
They are this years PS/Xbox fanboys the Nvidia shield guys. The grass is definitely not greener and the price is way expensive. I did my research starting with the Nvidia forum and then moving into general land before going into Kodi and it's certainly not the story that's the wonder machine has arrived as the zealots will have you believe. It's the same with Zidoo etc.

As we always say we have many different players between us and all have something that makes it not the perfect player. Will that ever exist before everything is within the Tv set we'll see . Seeing the shenanigans between the major companies it seems that settop boxes still have levity and Android does give more in terms of using Chrome, Kodi, usual Apps.

Anyway what has the Nvidia Shield go to do with the thread? Zero and besides we've seen the upcoming engineering releases for the OHC so don't need anything other than those which is not going to cost us anything. I get 7Mb/s from my ISP so will never get 4K streaming, hope its not like BBC HD and the other streaming in any case as its low quality compared with Bluray. Bluray 4K backups are where you want to be not streaming low quality 4K.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

10-14-2015, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 07:07 PM by ranunez.)
Here is my take based on prior experience with eGreat.

Their products are built well, but they don't support their products very well.

The product I had was based on the Sigma processor and was very similar to the A110, but eGreat did not provide updates as frequently as Popcorn Hour as such many bugs that were address with later firmware never made it to eGreat products. That is a problem for me considering the UI was exactly the same as the A110.

For this reason I came back to Popcorn Hour (now Cloud Media).

It is possible that eGreat has changed how they support their products, but I would remind you to beware, you may find yourself stuck with bugs that may never get a firmware update. I would check on their website and see how many firmware updates are available for their past products.

We all know (or should by now know) that we are beta testers, so we need a company that is committed to supporting their products AFTER they have moved on to other products.

(10-14-2015 04:55 PM)chris57 Wrote:  They are this years PS/Xbox fanboys the Nvidia shield guys. The grass is definitely not greener and the price is way expensive. I did my research starting with the Nvidia forum and then moving into general land before going into Kodi and it's certainly not the story that's the wonder machine has arrived as the zealots will have you believe. It's the same with Zidoo etc.

As we always say we have many different players between us and all have something that makes it not the perfect player. Will that ever exist before everything is within the Tv set we'll see . Seeing the shenanigans between the major companies it seems that settop boxes still have levity and Android does give more in terms of using Chrome, Kodi, usual Apps.

Anyway what has the Nvidia Shield go to do with the thread? Zero and besides we've seen the upcoming engineering releases for the OHC so don't need anything other than those which is not going to cost us anything. I get 7Mb/s from my ISP so will never get 4K streaming, hope its not like BBC HD and the other streaming in any case as its low quality compared with Bluray. Bluray 4K backups are where you want to be not streaming low quality 4K.

I bought the 16g NVidia Shield Saturday. It is an impressive box. Seems very stable. It played everything I have so far after the two firmware updates.

It is expensive. Considering 150 us for OHC and 250 with the remote (I just feel stupid using a game controller for my TV). It is a decent player. Pass through works, for the most part, I had a couple of files where I had to turn off pass through.

There are some issues. Hardware decoding isn't available for all of the audio and they haven't offered a way to purchase them like on the Raspberry PI. Hopefully, these will get ironed out.

A100, A110, A200, A200, A210, C200, A300, VTEN, Chameleon, Gecko
Dune D1, Dune HD