Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

is this it? very disappointed!
10-04-2015, 11:55 AM
is this it? very disappointed!
I searched all over for good Media Players with new technology such as 4K playback - that is available on the Australian market.

I was thrilled when I learned about the specs of the Chameleon!

I thought for sure it would perform very well.

But unfortunately it's worse than I expected Sad

Our old Mede8er 1000x3d plays virtually everything and with 98% accuracy - very few bugs to complain about.

Yet the Chameleon with it's hardware that is probably 5 times better can't even play 1080p videos smoothly (never mind 4K)

Whether it's the camera moving or an object or a person, slow or fast - there is the occasional skip or drop of frames and a bit of jitters. This happens with various MKV files; various movies and shows.

The Chameleon has the latest firmware and running the latest Kodi.

I'm quite tempted to pack everything up and ship it back to the supplier >> and go back to using the old media player (which is inferior on paper but does a better job in reality).

Any ideas on how I could make this Ferrari perform like a Ferrari and not a Golf Cart?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: is this it? very disappointed!
(10-04-2015 11:55 AM)PuP Wrote:  Any ideas on how I could make this Ferrari perform like a Ferrari and not a Golf Cart?

Not as long as OH settle the false horse and stay on android instead of spending a few beers for the openelec team for a native port.
10-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Linux is to only way to go... Openelec is a perfect option and RK has a new SDK... so go for it.
Few beers no problem I think we all with push the donate button on that one...

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
10-04-2015, 04:25 PM
PuP there are imminent fies to stutter on MKV playback in patched from Rockchip the chip manufacturer doing the rounds now that improve stutter.

Read this post:
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread....48#pid7548
Here's a video link:

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

10-05-2015, 01:41 AM
(10-04-2015 11:55 AM)PuP Wrote:  I searched all over for good Media Players with new technology such as 4K playback - that is available on the Australian market.

I was thrilled when I learned about the specs of the Chameleon!

I thought for sure it would perform very well.

But unfortunately it's worse than I expected Sad

Our old Mede8er 1000x3d plays virtually everything and with 98% accuracy - very few bugs to complain about.

Yet the Chameleon with it's hardware that is probably 5 times better can't even play 1080p videos smoothly (never mind 4K)

Whether it's the camera moving or an object or a person, slow or fast - there is the occasional skip or drop of frames and a bit of jitters. This happens with various MKV files; various movies and shows.

The Chameleon has the latest firmware and running the latest Kodi.

I'm quite tempted to pack everything up and ship it back to the supplier >> and go back to using the old media player (which is inferior on paper but does a better job in reality).

Any ideas on how I could make this Ferrari perform like a Ferrari and not a Golf Cart?

I am puzzled.

You found this forum, because you posted on it and yet you didn't spend any time reading any of the posts about the chameleon before purchasing on it.

And yet now you complain?

It's not like there aren't enough posts covering it's current shortcomings, that you couldn't make an informed choice.
10-05-2015, 03:57 AM
Or indeed any RK3288 equiped player. Anyway he's very lucky as he's bought just before it finally looks like after a patient wait that the fixes are upcoming so really has zero to complain about.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post