Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Youtube Playback
10-03-2015, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 09:30 PM by JimMc.)
Youtube Playback
Anyone having issues with playing youtube videos? Seemed like it was working before but the past couple of days, I can't get videos to play using either the android app or the video add-on in kodi. Considering a factory reset of the Gecko.

It seems like it will play the first video but any after that go to a black screen that kind of flickers. Also notice the info graphic from my tv during this black screen reads 4:3 instead of a HD resolution.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2015, 10:27 AM
RE: Youtube Playback
(10-03-2015 08:18 PM)JimMc Wrote:  Anyone having issues with playing youtube videos? Seemed like it was working before but the past couple of days, I can't get videos to play using either the android app or the video add-on in kodi. Considering a factory reset of the Gecko.

It seems like it will play the first video but any after that go to a black screen that kind of flickers. Also notice the info graphic from my tv during this black screen reads 4:3 instead of a HD resolution.

Seems working fine here up to 720P stream.
10-07-2015, 02:17 AM
(10-06-2015 10:27 AM)openhouradmin Wrote:  Seems working fine here up to 720P stream.

I've had some play and some not. Very sporadic. The ones that played within Kodi, generally played using the youtube app, but nit always. Most won't play in either. Is there a factory reset I can use?

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
10-07-2015, 04:09 AM
(10-07-2015 02:17 AM)JimMc Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 10:27 AM)openhouradmin Wrote:  Seems working fine here up to 720P stream.

I've had some play and some not. Very sporadic. The ones that played within Kodi, generally played using the youtube app, but nit always. Most won't play in either. Is there a factory reset I can use?

You can perform the reset to factory default in Android Settings. Remember to install back the Kodi from Launcher after reset to facotry default.
10-08-2015, 02:03 AM
(10-07-2015 04:09 AM)openhouradmin Wrote:  You can perform the reset to factory default in Android Settings. Remember to install back the Kodi from Launcher after reset to facotry default.

Thanks. I gave it a shot (actually did the restore thing twice), with no better luck. Oddly enough it kept my Kodi config including listing the tv & movies on my WHS2011 server. Thought when I selected the restore to wipe app data, all that would have gone. Not that it matter really, my problem wasn't with playing video files over a samba share.

Both the youtube app and youtube addon (in Kodi) are still acting the same way. Some videos play almost every time while others don't ever play. No idea what could be causing it.

11-08-2015, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 09:25 PM by JimMc.)
Wanted to update this thread as I think I've had something of a breakthrough (probably overstated, really).

Resetting the Gecko to factory defaults did nothing to help my issue of videos on youtube and also through Kodi addons from not playing. In fact, I had been having more Kodi issues where not even the setting screens would come up. I'd click on system and it would just go to a black screen. Would have to pull the power plug and let it reboot to get the menus to function again.

The main TV I've been using is a Pioneer PDP-6070HD. This is a 2006 plasma set (720p). Today, just for kicks I decided to try a different TV. Hooked up a Vizio M422i-B1 (2014 LED 1080p) set.

Went to youtube....played everything I tried, especially videos that I know did not play when the Gecko was connected to the Pioneer.
Went to Kodi, fired up DexterTV and it played a movie as well as a live channel (one that did not play this morning while the Gecko was connected to the Pioneer). Tried a movie and tv episode in Genesis, played no problem. Most importantly the behavior shown in the video I made ( http://vimeo.com/141969428 ), where the TV indicates the picture going from a HD aspect ratio to a 4:3 ratio, didn't happen once.

I didn't change a system setting in the Gecko when I changed TVs. I pulled the HDMI from the Pioneer and plugged it into the Vizio. Nothing else was changed.

Does the Gecko have issues with native 720P TVs? I don't think there are any settings in the TV that I can change which might have an effect. I do have one more 720p set in the house that I can try to see if the Gecko acts the same way it does when it's connected to my Pioneer.

11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
All mediaplayers are dependent on the success of the HDMI handshake to match the media source audio and video to the actual playback device.
in the early days of HD-Ready displays on HDMI 1 these handshake routines as a data interaction/transaction where very buggy.
Backwards compatibility has it's limits.... sorry.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
11-10-2015, 04:20 AM
(11-09-2015 09:58 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  All mediaplayers are dependent on the success of the HDMI handshake to match the media source audio and video to the actual playback device.
in the early days of HD-Ready displays on HDMI 1 these handshake routines as a data interaction/transaction where very buggy.
I kind of doubt that Pioneer wrote buggy handshaking code, especially considering I've not had a single issue with any other HDMI-based device I've connected to it (including the Popcorn Hour devices in my signature). For the time period, Pioneer's sets were pretty much the pinnacle of plasma TVs (at least until they came out with their Kuro line).

In the end, I figured out what was wrong, not long after my last post. Went digging in the TV settings, trying different things. Came upon a setting for the TV to automatically set the TV resolution based on the source signal. Turned that off and everything seems to work much better. Haven't come across a youtube video that won't play and pretty much all the videos I've tried in Kodi addons have also worked.

11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Exactly the same as the Panasonic TV's with regards Aspect Ratio. Until the 400 auto AR worked fine, now you must set 16:9 in AR TV settings. Set manually if you can, when not use auto is my mantra.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

11-10-2015, 06:08 PM
(11-10-2015 04:20 AM)JimMc Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:58 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  All mediaplayers are dependent on the success of the HDMI handshake to match the media source audio and video to the actual playback device.
I kind of doubt that Pioneer wrote buggy handshaking code, especially considering I've not had a single issue with any other HDMI-based device I've connected to it (including the Popcorn Hour devices in my signature). For the time period, Pioneer's sets were pretty much the pinnacle of plasma TVs (at least until they came out with their Kuro line).

In the end, I figured out what was wrong, not long after my last post. Went digging in the TV settings, trying different things. Came upon a setting for the TV to automatically set the TV resolution based on the source signal. Turned that off and everything seems to work much better. Haven't come across a youtube video that won't play and pretty much all the videos I've tried in Kodi addons have also worked.

the TV to automatically set the TV resolution based on the source signal...is the HDMI handshake and once you switched of the Pioneer "intelligence" it works better... remember the player will change the source signal for each file it plays..

But buggy HDMI has little to do with Pioneer it was a very shaky standard 8 years ago.. and still not very solid many versions later.....

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
11-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Well, it seems the new firmware has me back to the original problem despite my TV being set to not automatically adjust the resolution based on the signal. Wonderful. With everything being reset as a result of the firmware update, I don't know if something in the Gecko config was reset that was needed in addition to the TV setting, to make everything work. So I don't know where to start looking in the Gecko or Kodi settings to make things work again. This is friggin' frustrating, I know that much.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3D-Playback Ernesto13 1 980 02-14-2016 07:50 PM
Last Post: Ernesto13
  Cannot install Youtube Jokerchyld 0 637 01-02-2016 05:11 PM
Last Post: Jokerchyld
  No playback in Kodi with hiplayer and SMB shares chris57 11 4,848 10-14-2015 01:52 AM
Last Post: chris57