Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

BlueTooth
09-28-2015, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 11:50 AM by Flundi.)
BlueTooth Dongle for Gecko?
Hello,

which BT Dongle is comatible?
I like playing Games with an Controller on this Box.

MFG Flundi
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: BlueTooth Dongle for Gecko?
Bluetooth is built in, isn't it?
Anyone tried the bluetooth function? Doesn't want to stay "on" with my Gecko. Turns on for a second and right back to off. Thought it might be PSU related wanting more power than could be supplied, but it doesn't work with my rigged up PSU either.

Wondering if anyone has gotten it to work.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
09-29-2015, 06:52 AM
RE: BlueTooth Dongle for Gecko?
Sorry, didn´t find it...
but i can´t turn on it.
i have the same problem...
i like to connect a game controller.
09-29-2015, 08:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 08:31 AM by chris57.)
RE: BlueTooth
Threads merged. Wastes everyone's time having two threads on the same issue. Especially when the first step is does it work, dongle is irrelevant as if its works using the inbuilt why would you need a dongle?

Looking at the specs the absence of Bluetooth is telling in the specs to me. So it means either a dongle if there's no Bluetooth chip in it. It's a lot cheaper than the OHC and that required a dingle so I expect this to require one if one is to be made available at all. I'll try the OHC Wi-Fi/Bluetooth dongle, remember that the dongle is both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the OHC.

Has anyone actually tried a Bluetooth dongle, not talking about handheld games controller etc. but a £3 Bluetooth dongle that you can plug into a PC?

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Awnser from Open Hour:

BT is not integrated, but in the Menu visible.
For future, BT Stick is in planning.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Flundi for this post
09-29-2015, 10:03 PM
Right looks like there may not be any drivers in the firmware for a Bluetooth receiver. The need adding and a USB Bluetooth controller adding.

I use Bluetooth and a Mele keypad on the OHC, once you get over the half second delay for the first connection thereafter its as quick as standard.

09-30-2015, 03:49 AM
(09-29-2015 09:22 AM)Flundi Wrote:  Awnser from Open Hour:

BT is not integrated, but in the Menu visible.
For future, BT Stick is in planning.
Yeah, I went back and looked at the product page. Bad assumption on my part but in my defense, when I saw the on/off switch in the Bluetooth menu, logically I would think there was a BT transmitter in the box.

(09-29-2015 08:25 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Has anyone actually tried a Bluetooth dongle, not talking about handheld games controller etc. but a £3 Bluetooth dongle that you can plug into a PC?
Good question! Don't have a USB based BT transmitter to test it out.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
09-30-2015, 08:29 AM
Now OH have responded and having awaited the OHC Bluetooth dongle before Bluetooth would work the firmware will need the drivers for whichever dongle they decide upon. Quite often that same chipset is used in other dongles so we often find others work. But we still need OH to add drivers in the first place.

09-30-2015, 09:04 PM
(09-30-2015 08:29 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Now OH have responded and having awaited the OHC Bluetooth dongle before Bluetooth would work the firmware will need the drivers for whichever dongle they decide upon. Quite often that same chipset is used in other dongles so we often find others work. But we still need OH to add drivers in the first place.

Thanks for the info. No point in me buying a BT dongle to try out then. I should be able to use a RF type keyboard that's compatible with Android though, wouldn't you think? Using a keyboard was my only real interest in BT.

09-30-2015, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2015 09:34 PM by halfelite.)
Drivers should not be needed. Android 4.2.2 I think it was offered native bluetooth support. As long as the bluetooth is HAL compliant it should work. Wait I take that back with Native bluetooth I think they removed bluetooth over USB and not sure it was ever added back
10-03-2015, 11:29 PM
TL;DR: This 3rd Party USB BT did not work.

I unplugged the official "USB Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n 2T2R 300Mbps with Bluetooth 4.0 (MT7632U chipset)" adapter, powered down the unit, plugged in the Cable Matters adapter I have and powered the OHC back on. Under the advanced settings I was not able to successfully turn the Bluetooth radio on. Other adapters might work, but as stated they would probably need drivers included in the firmware to support them.

If you are curious, this is a link to the adapter I tried out. I use it regularly on a Raspberry Pi and an older desktop PC.
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Blue...B00EW3WS9M
10-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Like Halfelite says I'm pretty sure that Bluetooth driversare required to be added for USB dongles. I tried without on the OHC using a BLuetooth keyboard that had a USB adapter to plugin and that didn't work. mele bluetooth one.

There has been comunication that a Bluetooth dongle is coming for the Gecko however it may mean that games may not work. So you'd perhaps have to use a wifi controlller with the inbuil t wifi for games and bluetooth for everything else.

11-10-2015, 04:25 AM
Anyone tried a USB/RF based keyboard? Wonder if that would work. We desperately need a keyboard solution because "typing" anything of length with the simple remote is agonizing.

Will the remote OH sells for the Chameleon work with the Gecko? That would be something of an improvement, I would think.

[Image: air-mouse8.jpg]

11-10-2015, 05:29 PM
I think they say that the OH keypad works. Look at the website.