Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
RE: New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
I made no jumps. I acknowledge that the box works well with video. and the included features are quite nice. But the lack of pre-root, and the fact that certain games will not even run (Asphalt 8 for instance), gives me reason to believe that development concentrated on making it the best kodi solution for this price bracket, and not so much anything more. As a kodi solution, it's pretty good. as an android box for other purposes - less so.
That is just my opinion. I will finish benchmarking it (also a problem as I cannot test frame rate due to issues running gamebench or any other fps meter), and then I'll publish my full and explained opinion.

Cheers!
(10-09-2015 07:36 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Hang on now you've made a few jumps there.

What makes you jump to the conclusion that 'they' have locked it down? Who is they? Hisilicon I presume as all hisilicon devices are harder to root.
It has Google Play and the ability to add APPS as any other Android device so why single it out as only a media player?
It has a Samba server so no need for root for Samba like on the OHC.
It's half the price of the OHC but not half the player.
If you want an Android device that is open and you cannot brick due to use of SD card rather than NAND RAM then you pay the premium. If you want something that works well for Kodi then so far the Gecko performs better. It wont soon we hope and see from upcoming OHC releases.
What 'more' is the hardware not doing? It has Imprex video processing and uses that to give a picture that is way better than the price tag but please expand on what more you believe it can do that it is being made not to do?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2015, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2015 05:47 PM by chris57.)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, I'm also in agreement that Kodi and choosing a chip that is known for quality playback at a low price was also the aim. However I will say that I'm not using Kodi I'm using MediaCenter and find the playback and menu etc. really simple and good to use, its great playing back BD files as well as the usual scene releases etc.

I've also used the device for some standard Android stuff and found that it performs fine including BBCiPlayer which the OHC does not presently. But its definately the baby brother to the OHC in terms of things like the Android OS features and ability to root, although my main reason to root was SMB serving.

There was a suggestion in another review to change the display to 720p from 1080p in Advanced Settings > Display when trying to play games that I would pass along now I know you are also testing game play. The cnxsoftware review uses the Antutu Video Testing APP on the 3978M which shows its playback ability.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

10-10-2015, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2015 02:17 AM by JimMc.)
Is there a popcorn-like menu option for using the Gecko to play local network video files instead of using Kodi? I will say I'm not really having an issue playing movies/tv from my server via Kodi, so I'm just wondering if a more popcorn-like option is available.

The only android app I've tried so far has been youtube and I've talked about the failures with that in another thread. Still have no idea what's going on.

Kodi, with the exception of playing local videos has pretty much been a disappointment. With various add-ons I've tried to watch tv shows, which have failed (or showed only a black screen). I confirmed the streams play via the same app in Kodi on a laptop, so again, I don't know why they're not playing on the Gecko. I don't know if there's any connection to the youtube failures or not, but I'd sure like to figure out what's going on.

Made a short video to show what's happening when I try to watch a video on youtube or with a kodi addon (in this case, Genesis). I'm afraid it's "system wide" and I'll probably see the same result with any video addon in Kodi. Hoping it's just a setting but haven't come across anything yet.

https://vimeo.com/141969428

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
10-10-2015, 03:10 AM
Why not install SPMC:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...spmc&hl=en
It's a Kodi fork for android and your VideoAddons may work in it.

Then there's Plex:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...roid&hl=en

And many many more.

I'll have a go with the likes of Genesis however recently on the OHC a lot of links are being blocked for UK ISP and I have not set up a proxy or VPN for Kodi yet. So my testing may be a little harder and less representative as it seems only the UK is having this issue persistently.

10-10-2015, 03:49 AM
(10-10-2015 03:10 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Why not install SPMC:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...spmc&hl=en
It's a Kodi fork for android and your VideoAddons may work in it.

Then there's Plex:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...roid&hl=en

I'll give SPMC a try. Plex is no good with WHS because a user has to be logged in on the server for it to work. Last I checked, Plex hadn't come up with a way to install as a service on the server, which is said to be the best way to make it always available (esp after a reboot).

(10-10-2015 03:10 AM)chris57 Wrote:  I'll have a go with the likes of Genesis however recently on the OHC a lot of links are being blocked for UK ISP and I have not set up a proxy or VPN for Kodi yet. So my testing may be a little harder and less representative as it seems only the UK is having this issue persistently.
I tried DexterTV and had similar problems. Found a stream or two that would play but most either showed the black screen (with my tv indicating a resolution change from 720p/16:9 to 4:3) OR the "working" indication died out and left at the menu to make a different selection.

Really hope I can get Kodi working reliably since that's what I bought the box for. Being able to use it to play local media is a secondary interest. I still have my PCH200 for accessing movies and such from the server.

PopcornHour A-100 | PopcornHour A-200 | OpenHour Gecko | WHS 2011 (10TB Storage)
10-11-2015, 08:47 AM
My Gecko Kodi Genesis is working...

(10-10-2015 01:40 AM)JimMc Wrote:  Is there a popcorn-like menu option for using the Gecko to play local network video files instead of using Kodi? I will say I'm not really having an issue playing movies/tv from my server via Kodi, so I'm just wondering if a more popcorn-like option is available.

The only android app I've tried so far has been youtube and I've talked about the failures with that in another thread. Still have no idea what's going on.

Kodi, with the exception of playing local videos has pretty much been a disappointment. With various add-ons I've tried to watch tv shows, which have failed (or showed only a black screen). I confirmed the streams play via the same app in Kodi on a laptop, so again, I don't know why they're not playing on the Gecko. I don't know if there's any connection to the youtube failures or not, but I'd sure like to figure out what's going on.

Made a short video to show what's happening when I try to watch a video on youtube or with a kodi addon (in this case, Genesis). I'm afraid it's "system wide" and I'll probably see the same result with any video addon in Kodi. Hoping it's just a setting but haven't come across anything yet.
10-11-2015, 02:05 PM
I tested a few of the unofficial addons last night.

I was going to install DexterTV but didn't as when reading a thread a lot of users are having issues with it presnetly.

I tested Genesis and got some success but not as much as expected.

I tested SportsDevil and again got some success.

Whether or not the file or channels that did not play were caused by the player or my UK ISP, or the addon, or anything else I have not got the time to review the logs. I did get the Mrs NFL working via PearTV which is from where she watches the Eagles.

So hit'n'miss which is similar to my experiences of unofficial addons since using them.

10-14-2015, 06:16 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 07:40 AM by Willem55.)
OpenHour Gecko TV Box Review:
Here's the review: http://www.eyalo.com/828/openhour-gecko-tv-box-review

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:Open Hour did a good job providing a cheaper (than its predecessor) solution for the Kodi only users. But at a certain cost, which may not appeal to some. It also does not take into account the flood of Chinese brands and re-brands of cheaper (half priced or even less sometimes) options.
Please read, and if you enjoyed, like, share, and spread all around!
10-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Unfair comparison against two boxes that are 45% more expensive.
Biased

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
10-14-2015, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 08:16 PM by chris57.)
Yep you should have had the OHC in the benchmarking tests as that is the Apple to compare against the other Apples. Presently you've compared an Orange against Apples. The OHC gets 40,000 in Antu for example. I have never seen any reviewer ever try to use shipping costs, which vary from zero to whatever depending on which country and whether you use a reseller or not, in such a weird way to bias a comparison.

Also as its a 4K30fps with HDMIv1.4 it shouldn't even play 10bit 4K so you've asked it to play something its not supposed to play. Volume is an example of one of the other errors as I can use the remote to control my volume on my direct to TV setup you say that the remote cannot be used carte blanche which is just wrong.There's some other errors in there but I'll leave it at that as I don't want you to think its sour Grapes.

So good stuff in there to make sure people understand that it is a 1Gb RAM player for $89 and not a more expensive player with better specs a'la OHC. You say it is a stable player and it is. You didn't do any picture comparisons or try using playback in Kodi from mountpoint from Media Center or use 720p rather than 1080p for gaming as suggested by the chip manufacturer.

Very fruity post this one.Smile

[+] 1 user says Thank You to chris57 for this post
10-14-2015, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2015 10:14 PM by POPA110.)
Me too do not understand this review. Dodgy

I think there are enough Chinese box at the same price $ 89 to compare what is comparable.
like reading with Kodi Iso 3D Bluray, the passthrough audio or framerate sync which are essential element for be a good media player.

Buy a gecko for playing 3D games is clearly not what he puts forward in his advertising
[+] 1 user says Thank You to POPA110 for this post
10-15-2015, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2015 09:06 AM by mulderfox.)
I have made some corrections to the review, and will clarify further if needs be.
As for the comparison - as soon as I have a similar box to compare to, I will do so. For now, when a prospective buyer looks for a box, they might want to throw a wider net and looking at different boxes while concentrating on kodi performance seems like a viable idea to me.
Thanks for your feedback regardless Wink