Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
09-25-2015, 11:53 AM
RE: New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
(09-25-2015 08:14 AM)tosh123 Wrote:  
(09-25-2015 07:58 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  What happens with playback if you update Kodi from the Kodi.tv site?

Anyone try this with a nightly build beta?

Don't you think that Open Hour had to do this and give recommendation to satisfy their customers?

No I don't think so, but never mind... user Lundman has already update the Kodi on his Gecko to SPMC and reported all is still functional so no Hacked Kodi code...

So no GPL violations

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2015, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 03:36 PM by BigPines.)
Willem55 quote:
"What happens with playback if you update Kodi from the Kodi.tv site?

Anyone try this with a nightly build beta?"

Tosh123 quote:
"Don't you think that Open Hour had to do this and give recommendation to satisfy their customers?"

Nope. There are other boxes with custom Kodi on them and if you update them with the official build, it will break the box. We don't really know how Open Hour has implemented their product. The question is, it is really a custom build or simply an external add-on to the vanilla Kodi. Willem55's idea should tell us for sure.
09-25-2015, 03:15 PM
(09-25-2015 03:11 PM)BigPines Wrote:  Willem55 quote:
"What happens with playback if you update Kodi from the Kodi-dot-tv site?

Anyone try this with a nightly build beta?"

Tosh123 quote:
"Don't you think that Open Hour had to do this and give recommendation to satisfy their customers?"

Nope. There are other boxes with custom Kodi on them and if you update them with the official build, it will break the box. We don't really know how Open Hour has implemented their product. The question is, it is really a custom build or simply an external add-on to the vanilla Kodi. Willem55's idea should tell us for sure.

I tried updating to 15.1 and it failed although I copied my addons and userdata folder from my windows machine and that worked ok.
09-25-2015, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 03:19 PM by BigPines.)
Willem 55 quote:
"user Lundman has already update the Kodi on his Gecko to SPMC and reported all is still functional so no Hacked Kodi code...

So no GPL violations"

I think that proves conclusively that they did not change the Kodi code. Well good for them, they have found a very clever way of making a seamless user experience. I am impressed. This makes the Gecko attractive to me.

grimmace92 quote:
"I tried updating to 15.1 and it failed although I copied my addons and userdata folder from my windows machine and that worked ok."

So this sounds like a maybe a configuration file was overwritten and broke the functionality until you replaced it with the Windows copy. Still sounds like no custom code.
09-25-2015, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 03:25 PM by Willem55.)
if you read up user Lundman post on how he installed SPMC and all feature are still functional.... he likes SPMC cause it plays his RAR files.
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread....36#pid7336
But that proves playback is not dependent on a hacked version and still optimal on a official XBMC/SPMC/Kodi releases.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Here:
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread....36#pid7336

Quote:...
Installed SPMC to make sure things play from rar ok so that is an option, interestingly, passthrough audio was still working ok in SPMC. The built in Kodi can sometimes make the UI be unresponsive/lagged when playing high-bitrate content, which can be annoying (does not happen in SPMC).

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-25-2015, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 05:39 PM by BigPines.)
(09-23-2015 08:06 AM)openhouradmin Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 09:34 AM)Daveydguk Wrote:  http://www.futeko.com/products/MP058.php

It's a wrapper. You can buy these devices from futeko.

Gecko custom Kodi is more than a wrapper. The wrapper approach will lost all the Kodi playback UI and playback directly with Hisilicon native player with Hisilicon player UI.
This is fascinating to me. It is more than a wrapper but not a Kodi modification. Very ingenious.

(09-24-2015 09:34 AM)lundman Wrote:  Installed SPMC to make sure things play from rar ok so that is an option, interestingly, passthrough audio was still working ok in SPMC. The built in Kodi can sometimes make the UI be unresponsive/lagged when playing high-bitrate content, which can be annoying (does not happen in SPMC).

After installing SPMC does the Kodi UI still show during playback like in below?

[Image: Kodi%20Seek%20Display_zpsz2eotmzb.png]

[Image: Kodi%20Playback%20Menu_zpskprqbpcd.png]
09-25-2015, 11:52 PM
Quote:he likes SPMC cause it plays his RAR files.
All Kodi can play from RAR, and that it can pull out the preview image from the RARs in Gecko's Kodi indicates it should work, but does not. They compiled it wrong, simple as that. Hopefully, they will compile it correctly for next firmware. But really, its the audioblips that keeps me from using it. And those happen in Kodi/SPMC and Native player.

With SPMC installed, yes you get the popup UI during playback, just like you would expect. It is this menu that can get real unresponsive in Kodi when playing 1080p and up, whereas remains normal in SPMC.
09-26-2015, 04:03 AM
Ok I finally had time to try everything properly. I was not correct on some things. SPMC plays ok, from RAR etc, but sound is not correctly pass-through. It has the same issue as OHC where the rear speakers/LFO come out the front three. So proper pass-through is only in their Kodi and Built-in player. The audio blips are not around today, I had to reboot the amp, maybe that was related.

The video quality is noticeably nicer in Kodi and built-in, compared to SPMC. So overall, I think I would prefer to use their Kodi.

However, two remaining issues means I will keep using OHC for now.

* Does not play from RARs. Most likely compiled wrong somehow. Could try normal Kodi, but I have no way to get their version back. And latest SPMC is Isengard too. Or possibly their hardware player uses libc calls to read and not kodi API calls.

* The UI while playing video is laggy. You have to push right 4-5 times before it moves one to the right etc. Quite a pain. Does not happen in SPMC, so most likely a compile thing too.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to lundman for this post
09-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Hmmm...So still up in the air how Open Hour implemented their HD audio passthrough solution.

Could you get the custom Kodi back by reinstalling the latest firmware or something?
09-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Is the firmware even available for download anywhere? Not that I've looked Smile
09-26-2015, 10:21 AM
how about a backup/Restore app?
Or am I being too simplistic this morning?

09-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Just a question for us non AVR guys with it using the Native Player in Kodi that would be an issue on the OHC as it does no decoding. So if you use a downmix rather than passthrough do you get audio on the main audio codecs? Thinking Dolby/DTS in particular?

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-26-2015, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2015 11:30 AM by couto27.)
(09-26-2015 04:03 AM)lundman Wrote:  The video quality is noticeably nicer in Kodi and built-in, compared to SPMC. So overall, I think I would prefer to use their Kodi.

Im confused
The term "their Kodi" you are referring to the Gecko Optimized Kodi ?

What have you tried, the Original Kodi, the Gecko Kodi and SPMC ?
09-26-2015, 11:43 AM
i have not tried plain kodi as i would have to uninstall gecko kodi and no easy way to get it back.