Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
09-24-2015, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 02:41 PM by Willem55.)
RE: New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
Read the kodi WiKi http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml

and you're banned from posting for a month

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Must say all looun was doing was raising valid questions; banning him seems unfairly vindictive. Is this was Syabas/OpenHour has become now?! I've owned PCH products since the A110 days, but this is pretty sad.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to hdmkv for this post
09-24-2015, 03:14 PM
read his other posts and the warning he got.
He is a Zidoo spammer... just trolling here

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-24-2015, 03:41 PM
I saw his other post. I don't think he was spamming. He just wanted a commitment that the source code would be released per the license. Seems reasonable.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to BigPines for this post
09-24-2015, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 04:00 PM by Willem55.)
Does anyone have a clou as to what code they are talking about or even what licenses are used?
Does anyone have any clou if any of that code was modified and therefore should be submitted?

Assuming in the blind will seriously affect your credibility..

Now if someone comes with a credible suspicion with the right arguments then fine I'll be the first to hammer Cloudmedia into compliance....
But until that any unsubstantiated hint at license infringement can get you banned as it is libellous.

On the Chameleon Openhour avoided using hacked versions of XBMC and pointed everyone to the official XBMC download site, this at the cost of their customers who could see other RK3288 brands players working better with hacked XBMC. It was Openhour who asked koying as a official Kodi developer and long time contributor to work on the RK3288 and give us SPMC.

Coming onto this forum like Openhour is a notorious GPL violator pisses me off big time..... so prove or leave.

[+] 2 users say Thank You to Willem55 for this post
09-24-2015, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 04:00 PM by PSob.)
Who have Gecko, pls, check work hdmi-cec.
Can be keys remap in Android(global), Kodi and Player? can be Gecko auto power on/off with TV and AV reciver?
(for now, i use Vten player, and hdmi-cec work only few buttons, and full ignore activate/shutdown from hdmi-cec)

i wanna use it in main time as player (auto start in kodi, and hdmi-cec button for return from android to kodi), and sometimes use airmouse for work with android.
09-24-2015, 04:30 PM
No clue at all. Chill will.

peace.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
09-24-2015, 05:36 PM
We should have the Gecko section up soon.Smile

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-24-2015, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:26 PM by Willem55.)
Unfortunately my post count will not allow me to post the URLs to prove what I am saying is true. If someone who is allowed to post links will PM me, I will send the links so they can be posted for everyone to see.

The Kodi source code is licensed under GPL v2.0:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/LICENSE.GPL
http://kodi.tv/please-respect-the-gpl-license/

Open Hour (or one of it's contractors) has apparently modified the Kodi code to support HD audio passthrough with playback 3D ISO from within Kodi on the Gecko: http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/open-...hour-gecko It can clearly be seen in the video that an external player is not being used.

Section 3 of the GPL clearly states source code must be provided in such an instance:
Quote: 3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
received the program in object code or executable form with such
an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable.

If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
compelled to copy the source along with the object code.

So now that the Kodi binaries have been provided to customers in the form of the Gecko product people have received, it is incumbent upon Open Hour to comply with the GPL terms and provide the source code. Let's just ask them and see what they say.

If I am mistaken in my interpretation of the situation, please let me know.
09-24-2015, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 06:10 PM by Willem55.)
could you elaborate on this cause it's rather vague....

quote..............

Open Hour (or one of it's contractors) has apparently modified the Kodi code to support HD audio passthrough with playback 3D ISO from within Kodi on the Gecko: <URL REMOVED DUE TO POSTING RESTRICTION> It can clearly be seen in the video that an external player is not being used.
Cloudmedia states the opposite in post #41 of this thread..

PM me the link and I will post it.

be aware though of my warning.

09-24-2015, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 06:51 PM by BigPines.)
I will PM you the links with some additional information. I am not trying to be belligerent or cause any trouble. I am just supporting an open and honest conversation. All members including the moderators should appreciate that. I am surprised at the response I am receiving from a respected moderator on this forum. I don't think anything I have said warrants a warning or a threat of being banned. I am not a troll. I never said Open Hour was a notorious GPL violator nor have I seen anyone else say that. I haven't even accused Open Hour of doing anything wrong yet. I have previously owned PCH products and am currently considering purchasing the Open Hour Gecko. That is why I am here!

I tried to provide more information in this post but the forum is saying I have links in it which I do not. I'm not sure if this is just a bug in the forum software or an attempt at censoring me. Hey, I'm trying.

Respectfully submitted.
09-24-2015, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:00 PM by POPA110.)
I do not understand the policy Kodi
Why Kodi does not support the HD audio passthrough Box on Android and why we need to change the GPL code or use a wrapper external Player to get there.??Huh
Kodi must implement this basic feature because people need it and it will Be Simpler much for everyone Smile
09-24-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:04 PM by BigPines.)
I agree POPA110. If it is possible to implement these features in Kodi, I don't understand why these features haven't made it into the main branch of the Kodi code yet.
09-24-2015, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:08 PM by Daveydguk.)
Android doesn't or hasn't supported media playback to this level of features natively until lollipop. But it's down to the chip manufacturer in the end to support these features in the O/S.

That's why you can't beat x86 chipsets like amd and Intel as they have many years experience as opposed to Chinese banana boat companies who want to protect intellectual property rights without thinking of the bigger picture. And that's why the best media players are still x86 based and not android as they are not unified to giving the best experience. x86 devices have shrunk and are as cheap as the best but not fully functional android devices.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
09-24-2015, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015 07:34 PM by Willem55.)
Willem55:
Quote:Cloudmedia states the opposite in post #41 of this thread..

Cloudmedia quote:

Hisilicon 3798M have very good native player that support HD Audio, 3D BDISO, Framerate Sync, 23.976fps, 4K H.264/265. Basically the custom Kodi in Gecko playback using Hisilicon native player but it preserve the Kodi playback UI and support Kodi SAMBA/NFS. User also can use Hisilicon Media Center to mount their SAMBA/NFS and using Kodi to playback from the mount point which will gain better performance.

This is a little confusing but yes it seems to suggest that HiMedia's external player is being used. If that is the case, they must have tweaked the UI of HiMedia's player because it sure looks like the Kodi player. I have a HiMedia Q5 and it is obvious when the external player kicks in. Either way, I would say the user experience is more seamless with the Gecko.

If the Gecko is in fact using an external player, I see no requirement to release any custom code. All they will have to do is point back to the official Kodi 15 source. I would like to hear an official response from Cloud Media regarding their implementation. I'm sure we will hear something more from them at some point.