Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
09-16-2015, 07:36 AM
RE: New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
(09-16-2015 07:01 AM)lundman Wrote:  Can we have just one thread where we talk about the new player, and not just making bitchy comments and snide remarks? I'm all for you guys all complaining all the time, but could just *one* thread be about the new hardware, specs and features etc Smile

Having said that, any future plans for chipsets that are ARMv8? I wants me some 64bit and zfs Smile

Be good for once wouldn't it.Rolleyes

Keeping all the bitchy comments to this thread:-
http://forum.openhourlab.com/showthread....47#pid7247

Any comments that are of a similar vein in this thread will be moved there.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2015, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 04:48 PM by looun.)
hi Openhour,
They will open the source follow GPL Kodi licence ? will released the source code?

and the question is if gecko support Image and Display Processing (Imprex Processing Engine), the big advantage of hisilicon soc like himedia box?

why don't use new Hisilicon SoC HI3798C V200 64-bit ARM Processor Supports HDMI 2.0, 10-bit HEVC, USB 3.0, SATA

thanks.
09-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Think you already know the status of your questions.
Releasing source code is based on the assumption that they have the source code from Hisilicon.... which I doubt and even if they have it if they are allowed to release.
Imprex Processing Engine should hopefully be supported in Kodi playback but that is a wait and see.
Why not HI3798C V200? new.. more risks with support.. let's see how the 3798M pans out is my guess.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-16-2015, 05:19 PM
I thought it had 1xUSB3.0, 2xUSB2.0, and x265 10bit support in native, obviously Kodi needs to catchup on that.

Remember that the power of the cpu powers the speed of the USB socket which is why even those with USB3.0 sockets have not achieved anything better than USB2.0 speeds unless running a powerful HTPC with its associated cooling etc.

09-16-2015, 06:50 PM
(09-16-2015 05:04 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Think you already know the status of your questions.
Releasing source code is based on the assumption that they have the source code from Hisilicon.... which I doubt and even if they have it if they are allowed to release.
Imprex Processing Engine should hopefully be supported in Kodi playback but that is a wait and see.
Why not HI3798C V200? new.. more risks with support.. let's see how the 3798M pans out is my guess.

hisilicon have good suppor ,it's not rockchip.

Open Hour has developing "optimized kodi", Open Hour must will released the source code as rule kodi GPL licence.

Hisilicon relese kernel, andriod os, firmware ecc., not software.
09-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Openhour through Cloudmedia-Popcornhour have a good reputation regarding GPL if indeed they are the ones modifying the Kodi code I think they will publish it... but in the past the just worked through koying a well respected Kodi developer who runs a branch called SPMC for all solution that don't get accepted into the main Kodi track...

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-16-2015, 09:18 PM
(09-16-2015 04:34 PM)looun Wrote:  hi Openhour,
They will open the source follow GPL Kodi licence ? will released the source code?

and the question is if gecko support Image and Display Processing (Imprex Processing Engine), the big advantage of hisilicon soc like himedia box?

why don't use new Hisilicon SoC HI3798C V200 64-bit ARM Processor Supports HDMI 2.0, 10-bit HEVC, USB 3.0, SATA

thanks.

I bet its going to be like the himedia box. There is no modified Kodi source it uses hisilicons player that is external so no GPL code

On another note. Zidoo released there GPL code based on the rockchip 3368 that has HD audio and 3d and everything working inside of kodi.
09-16-2015, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2015 10:36 PM by chris57.)
Does it have the necessary licenses for downmixing audio or does Kodi just use the video and you can use Kodi's downmix. Native players in Android so far don't come with good audio decoding support.

Is the Zidoo hardware decoding not part of the RK code and that's why they have released it, they are not under Rockchip NDA agreements etc. via RKlibstagefright. It uses something called ZD Codec. Audio formats dont list HD audio:
DD/DD+/DTS /MP2/MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG /OGA/FLAC/ALAC/ APE/ AA
But that could just be its decoding not passththrough although they are usually also clarified but with RK RK3288 issues that'll need clarifying. Looks like RK are still sticking with HDMI2.0, 4K60fps.

Anyway going off track and it looks very similar as do all android boxes at this price point $89.

09-17-2015, 02:23 PM
(09-17-2015 02:17 PM)Kyocero Wrote:  I have a open hour C, Popcorn Hour A200, Popcorn Hour A300,,,
and after this last go around with the Open Hour C
the only way i buy another box is waiting to see how the box lasts after a year

As an experience media player user it is indeed wise to first learn from this forum if it does all that you need it to do... that will not take a year.
People who bought the OH-C after reading this forum could have known they were taking a big risk before buying the Cameleon.... but many still wanted to be a beta tester and work with OH and this time we did lose out... to bad.

09-18-2015, 07:00 AM
When will the first Gecko be sent to the clients?
What s is difference to the 100's of android boxes which cost less?
Thanks
09-18-2015, 07:24 AM
(09-18-2015 07:00 AM)pklaas Wrote:  When will the first Gecko be sent to the clients?
Thanks

when will they ship the first Gecko... hopefully not before it has been tested and confirmed on all advertised functionalities and features.
What the difference from the rest.... nobody knows at this point in time so keep an eye on the feedback from the first users...

09-18-2015, 07:35 AM
I like being a beta tester Cool
There need to be progress and > 3 month without any news is not good......
I have not seen any RK3288 with working HD sound passthrough and many other boxes has this problem also
09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
(09-18-2015 07:00 AM)pklaas Wrote:  When will the first Gecko be sent to the clients?
Thanks

hisilicon SoC are design/development only for exellent multimedia playback(TV , box ecc), not for game/tablet/phone ecc,

Picture quality of Hisilicon 3798M awesome, it's near to Oppo player( top player and very expensive ).

But if open hour not relese source code like ZIDOO minipcdb .com/articles/About-Zidoo-and-GPL ... it can not have good support ( also from kodi-team ) and short file because violence Kodi GPL license .. like other box before.
09-18-2015, 10:52 AM
After my initial frustration, I will take a wait and see approach and see how the first 3+ months go.

If people say things are working, then I may give it a go, considering it isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of players.

I am not sure that the Chameleon will ever be "right".
09-18-2015, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 12:11 PM by Willem55.)
(09-18-2015 10:51 AM)looun Wrote:  
Thanks

hisilicon SoC are design/development only for exellent multimedia playback(TV , box ecc), not for game/tablet/phone ecc,

Picture quality of Hisilicon 3798M awesome, it's near to Oppo player( top player and very expensive ).

But if open hour not relese source code like ZIDOO minipcdb .com/articles/About-Zidoo-and-GPL ... it can not have good support ( also from kodi-team ) and short file because violence Kodi GPL license .. like other box before.

Again... Cloudmedia/Openhour have a very long and good reputation on GPL.
All Kodi related development was done with koying who is a Kodi team developer so all code was published instantly.
As for the Gecko I don't see any reason to assume differently... do you?

Or are you just here to promote ZiDDo?... In which case I will ban you next time you mention that brand again.