Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Yikes New Open Hour
09-15-2015, 05:17 AM
Yikes New Open Hour
http://www.cloudmedia.com/products/open-...hour-gecko
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2015, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 05:29 AM by halfelite.)
RE: Yikes New Open Hour
being its based on the Hi3798 expect good performance. That is what the himedia q5/q10 are running. They are pretty good boxes. They do have proper working 3d ISO/ Bitstream of audio / proper 23.976
09-15-2015, 05:32 AM
typical.....was going to see if I could order one but cloudmedia.com site is down now Undecided
09-15-2015, 06:10 AM
it'd be nice if they could fix the issues with the OHC before releasing a brand new device....
[+] 3 users say Thank You to canaan for this post
09-15-2015, 06:34 AM
(09-15-2015 06:10 AM)canaan Wrote:  it'd be nice if they could fix the issues with the OHC before releasing a brand new device....

it would be. But does not seem like rockchip is dedicated to fixing any of the issues. So might be good to cut the loss might not be. The one draw back to the arm based android player all support has to come from chipset manufactures. My rule of thumb for android based boxes if it aint working at time of launch dont count on it ever working.
09-15-2015, 07:15 AM
(09-15-2015 05:32 AM)grimmace92 Wrote:  typical.....was going to see if I could order one but cloudmedia.com site is down now Undecided

Hi,

The site was down just now due to too many requests. You may visit the site now.
09-15-2015, 07:47 AM
(09-15-2015 06:10 AM)canaan Wrote:  it'd be nice if they could fix the issues with the OHC before releasing a brand new device....

Hi Canaan,

We are still waiting for Rockchip for new playback framework.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to MarketingCommunication for this post
09-15-2015, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 08:24 AM by skarbd.)
Ok, I don't normally like to get annoyed and like to give everyone a certain amount of leeway, and I don't like to promote negativity, but this has really annoyed me.

Is this acknowledgment that the problems with my OHC will not be dealt with.

If so I think that the Cloudmedia (Whom I bought my OHC from), should as a sign of good faith allow the chameleons to be sent back.

This announcement requires a clarification from Cloudmedia on where they stand on the OHC, since the very fact they are stating HD Audio passthrough and framerate synch on the Gecko doesn't bode well.

Sorry about this, but this has really allowed the grumpy genie out the bottle.

(09-15-2015 07:47 AM)MarketingCommunication Wrote:  

Hi Canaan,

We are still waiting for Rockchip for new playback framework.

I appreciate that you are waiting, but at some point you have to acknowledge that the deal with Rockchip hasn't worked, and we as your customers haven't really received the product either of us expected.

What recompense will Cloudmedia offer, since the fact you are rolling out this new product, relatively quickly, would indicate a general dissatisfaction with the previous product.
[+] 9 users say Thank You to skarbd for this post
09-15-2015, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 10:20 AM by borvkul.)
RE: New Product Launch - Open Hour Gecko
Thunx! No more products from OH! Never!
09-15-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 04:13 PM by chris57.)
CM have already stated that they are still working with rockchip, as all other rockchip customers, on patches to fix the problems.

The only new thing thats happened is that a new chip android box has come out, there is also an upcoming linux/android sigma chip coming out.

The ohc is the more advanced with hdmi2.0, hdcp2.0, 4k60, etc.

Lets hope that rockchip start to realise that they are losing market due to their poor performance. CM cannot fix rockchips code.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-15-2015, 05:35 PM
(09-15-2015 07:47 AM)MarketingCommunication Wrote:  We are still waiting for Rockchip for new playback framework.
Thanks for the reply and for getting involved on the forums for feedback.

I work with suppliers too, so if you are struggling with Rocketchip providing you a substandard product that doesn't meet your expectations, then I sympathise.

However, at the end of the day CloudMedia is the maker and seller of the product, which therefore means you are responsible for support and communications. I agree with what others have said that as end customers, Rocketchip's issues are not our concern.

You can't just take people's money, provide a substandard product and then create a new product for sale when the original doesn't work and expect to retain customers. We as customers want the product that we expected and were promised when we purchased it, not a new product. If there isn't a solution and communication as to the progress of that solutions then you will lose customers.

I can't speak for the rest, but if the OHC isn't fixed I won't be buying any more of CM's products. After owning the c200, the a100 and now the OHC, I can see the direction this company is heading (that is to say, it never gets any better). It's a shame, because there is great potential, yet CM continually under-deliver on promises.
[+] 5 users say Thank You to canaan for this post
09-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Do yourselves a favor and read what it said on the box and on the sales website and compare that to the assumptions you based your expectations on.
Substandard implies that there is a standard for android players.. or media players.
Or did you just promote your expectations to the standard.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-15-2015, 07:35 PM
(09-15-2015 06:56 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Do yourselves a favor and read what it said on the box and on the sales website and compare that to the assumptions you based your expectations on.
A fair point. But with all respect, my a100 does HD pass-through from the Jukebox, my a100 plays 23.976 without stutter. My a100 does 5.1 sound from the official jukebox, my a100 plays VC1 files. the OHC does none of these things. I don't think it's unfair to expect the OHC to be able to do as much as the older product.

the OHC stats page even says that it is XBMC ready, but the offical release doesn't even do 5.1 sound, how is that "ready"?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to canaan for this post
09-15-2015, 07:48 PM
and there are many XBMC players that don't do HD audio.. the mistaken assumption here is that XBMC is a standard of sorts.
XBMC Kodi is a user interface not a playback guarantee.... ready means it runs and it does never states it runs all and to the highest settings...
I only have some 23,976 files that stutter but mine is set to 1080p 50
This box does pass through also in the native player but just not in Kodi but that is a conflict between opensource Kodi and Rockchip.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
09-15-2015, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2015 11:29 PM by chris57.)
(09-15-2015 07:35 PM)canaan Wrote:  But with all respect, my a100 does HD pass-through from the Jukebox, my a100 plays 23.976 without stutter. My a100 does 5.1 sound from the official jukebox, my a100 plays VC1 files. the OHC does none of these things. I don't think it's unfair to expect the OHC to be able to do as much as the older product.

the OHC stats page even says that it is XBMC ready, but the offical release doesn't even do 5.1 sound, how is that "ready"?

Did the A100 play HD audio on Day One? No it didn't in fact to this day it doesn';t unless its in a TS or M2TS container. it took the A200 to bring HD audio support in an MKV container.
Did the A100 have autoframerate working? No, it didn't until multiple releases of firmware.
Did the A100 suffer from 23.976fps stutter. Hell yes it did it took months if not longer to get that one fixed.

The point is that sometimes we forget and look through rose coloured glasses.

Don't let yourself be manipulated by those whom not only want to complain, no problem there, but try to get you involved in somekind of uttter nonsense.

You didn't buy a A100 with it's long established embedded linux setup. You bought an Android box for Kodi or similar that has the best of specs, HDMI2.0, etc. I'm sure you've probably been following Android XBMC claims for sometime and read many a box or stick being discredited for not having the power etc. to produce as expected. The OHC has all of those bells and whistles and scores well in Antu etc/ so expected things to be great.
For those wanting HD passthorugh its been a disaster for most, some do find no issues as we've seen from the supplied ROM and video but for others it just doesnt work.
For those of us using direct to TV its workable and is my daly player. now that finally the audio ddddisco or gaps have gone.

CM are pressurising Rockchip by showing them that they most certainly are not indispensable in the Android chip market despite the additional specs that their chip have. No good unless RK get the code out to get things working.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  open hour chameleon help donkie25 2 1,214 04-21-2016 11:32 PM
Last Post: chris57
  What are the dimensions of the Open Hour Chameleon ? Rambler 3 2,790 11-23-2015 08:44 PM
Last Post: GFORCE100
  Open Hour (and RockChip) Android Open Source - git schumaku 11 9,873 08-21-2015 11:17 AM
Last Post: Willem55
  My New Use for My Open Hour Kyocero 18 7,709 08-01-2015 11:05 AM
Last Post: chris57
  Let's Start - Open the Firmware Image schumaku 5 5,046 12-10-2014 07:47 PM
Last Post: schumaku
  Is Open Hour can play Bluray 3D ISO files and/or MKV 3D ? HappyGoLucky 0 2,107 11-24-2014 10:56 AM
Last Post: HappyGoLucky