Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Newbie Netflix questions (not just HD :)
09-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Newbie Netflix questions (not just HD :)
Hi, I'm new here, just got my OHC box and have been playing with it for the first time this weekend.

Background: I used a Apple TV for Netflix and a RPi for KODI. Apple TV always worked great, the Rpi was kind of so so as it doesn't have a decent audio output etc.

So I thought I'd use a OHC as it's capable of doing both.

First impression on KODI (or actually KAOS which I'm using) is a lot better than RPi. Faster, better quality and audio finally playing through the home cinema stuff.

However... Netflix is a different story.. the video quality is not quite good (and yes.. I've just found out about the little issue with Netflix and HD) but I have the feeling the frame rate is wrong. When looking any video, it seems like the image 'forgets' a frame from time to time.

I've tried all sorts of settings but it doesn't change.

Anyone who can offer help here?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-16-2015, 05:15 PM
RE: Newbie Netflix questions (not just HD :)
I havent tried Netflix, either within Kodi, or just on its own due to the lack of HD due to Google tying it down.

Saw a post or two on Netflix including Lundman who reported that Netflix was working fine in Japan.

Take it you are ethernet not wifi.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Yes, first thing I did was to remove the WIFI dongle and get it hard wired.

I don't think that's the issue as the Apple TV which now sits right next to it streams fine in HD.

In a way I could live with SD but the missing frames are a royal pain as it just looks completely wrong.
Funny enough that's something I don't see on KODI/KAOS.
09-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Have you tried different resolutions. Until I used my mele keyboard I couldn't access the settings and set the resolution. I think there are 2 SD settings and if it works on the lower then itsa bitrate issues either ISP or LAN.

I can give the APP a go in the UK? Have you added Netflix to Kodi/Kaos or are you accessing via the standard UI? Just interested are you using the supplied card as a lot of us have found that using a high speed card can cause issues, perhaps buffer overflow or memory leak and wondered if that was why audio isses were happening. I've gone back to the supplied card from a fast card and now my playback is audio free from glitches.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

09-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Netflix Japan is a bit different, three payment tiers and the first is SD only, and other two are HD. So afaik, all streams are HD. I have no playback issues here, but the UI in the netflix app can get confused. Always make sure you Exit xbmc/spmc/kodi etc. Dont just put it in the background.
09-17-2015, 05:57 PM
I've downloaded Netflix in the standard GUI, to be honest I didn't even know I would be able to add it to Kodi Smile

The card I'm using is the one which came with the box... which reminds me I might want to backup that.. oops.

I'll try some stuff with the resolution settings. Still can't really believe why Netflix are making such a fuzz out of letting HD signals through.
What is their benefit in limiting?
09-17-2015, 06:34 PM
they pay for the bandwidth all the way to your provider. so they assume anything to android is for mobile with is mostly SD and not HD.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Netflix App Chl 8 4,330 11-17-2014 09:10 AM
Last Post: grambo