Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

What to buy instead of OHC?
01-09-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: What to buy instead of OHC?
Well I got a system with a Intel HD Graphics 4000 also, it's not a chromebox but on the PQ that should not matter.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2016, 11:11 AM
No not you Smile

The later part re the A500 was for you . The earlier part for the other post and each and every post is an advert fort he Shield without any acknowledgement that it has anything wrong with it or doesn't have sector leading picture quality.
Quote:1. Look at the blue bar. With the Shield you can see banding, whereas the picture is smooth on the PCH.
PCH:[Image: PCH_1.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_1.jpg]

2. Chroma Alignment: PCH uses bicubic or bilinear, Shield uses the simpler nearest neighbor.
PCH:[Image: PCH_2.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_2.jpg]

3. Shield again, uses nearest neighbor and PCH bicubic or bilinear (sometimes hard to tell). Click here if you want to compare yourself.
PCH:[Image: PCH_3.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_3.jpg]

update 2:
I did some more testing with patterns and it doesn't get better for the shield. It seems that there are still problems with the black levels, so that at some point they're just cut off. And this is definitely something you can see in a normal video, or to be more precise: you can't see

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

05-30-2016, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 06:15 PM by Etherus.)
I swapped also away from my OHC, got the Nvidia Shield TV instead it arrived few days ago and I have to say it was the best choose I have made so far, everything works out of the box really good for me and no struggle or issues so far.

I am using my OHC for a webserver now at home it works perfect with Fedora and some tweaks, maybe a little overkill for it Smile.
05-31-2016, 02:50 PM
(01-09-2016 11:11 AM)chris57 Wrote:  No not you Smile

The later part re the A500 was for you . The earlier part for the other post and each and every post is an advert fort he Shield without any acknowledgement that it has anything wrong with it or doesn't have sector leading picture quality.
Quote:1. Look at the blue bar. With the Shield you can see banding, whereas the picture is smooth on the PCH.
PCH:[Image: PCH_1.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_1.jpg]

2. Chroma Alignment: PCH uses bicubic or bilinear, Shield uses the simpler nearest neighbor.
PCH:[Image: PCH_2.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_2.jpg]

3. Shield again, uses nearest neighbor and PCH bicubic or bilinear (sometimes hard to tell). Click here if you want to compare yourself.
PCH:[Image: PCH_3.jpg]
Shield:[Image: Shield_3.jpg]

update 2:
I did some more testing with patterns and it doesn't get better for the shield. It seems that there are still problems with the black levels, so that at some point they're just cut off. And this is definitely something you can see in a normal video, or to be more precise: you can't see

Was this pattern testing ever done with the OHC ? Are the results closer to the A500, or similar to the Shield ?
05-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Topic is what to buy instead of the OHC so Chris his point is get a VTEN or an A-500 if you think movie picture quality is more important than a nice GUI like Kodi.
If you have a Nvidia Shield and a OHC on the latest Beta let us know how you compare picture quality and HD audio.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
05-31-2016, 03:42 PM
(05-31-2016 03:29 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Topic is what to buy instead of the OHC so Chris his point is get a VTEN or an A-500 if you think movie picture quality is more important than a nice GUI like Kodi.
If you have a Nvidia Shield and a OHC on the latest Beta let us know how you compare picture quality and HD audio.

I don't have the Shield - I will try to run the pattern test on the OHC later in the week.

I have been considering the HiMedia Q10 Pro for all the features (i.e. HDR support), but it's full of bugs at the current firmware.
05-31-2016, 07:59 PM
(05-31-2016 03:42 PM)afss Wrote:  
(05-31-2016 03:29 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  Topic is what to buy instead of the OHC so Chris his point is get a VTEN or an A-500 if you think movie picture quality is more important than a nice GUI like Kodi.

I don't have the Shield - I will try to run the pattern test on the OHC later in the week.

I have been considering the HiMedia Q10 Pro for all the features (i.e. HDR support), but it's full of bugs at the current firmware.

Just to report that I did very quick testing with the Spears and Munsil BD and the OCH does not do too bad overall. one surprise though is that the Native Player does a much worse job than the custom Kodi (specially on those Chroma up-sampling tests).
05-31-2016, 10:49 PM
android player without proper support kodi? only solution with support is now shileld and PI3
06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
how to make th buttons on OHC ?
Spears & Munsil iso format , OHC reads the br the iso format menu ?