Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

What to buy instead of OHC?
12-28-2015, 02:14 AM
RE: What to buy instead of OHC?
Just got my Nvidia shield TV and put the OHC aside
The Nvidia shield perform very well on playback , and kodi team are working on the latest kodi 16 , which enable passthrough on kodi.
I am using the latest Kodi 16 beta 5 , which I think is nearly perfect. Most of the passthrough works. Normal playback without judder. With add-on of kodi , I can say it is the best android player in the market

Give it a try u will not disappointed , give up the OHC, dont struggle with it. It is a abandon product
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user says Thank You to hinball for this post
12-28-2015, 06:51 AM
You will like the shield a lot. It is no wonder it gets such great ratings on Amazon.
01-07-2016, 10:03 AM
The shield is what ohc failed to be.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to KristianDK for this post
01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
(01-07-2016 10:03 AM)KristianDK Wrote:  The shield is what ohc failed to be.

I have to agree with you, but still have a few minor gripes about the Shield TV (I had to buy one because my OHC died on me and I sure as hell wasn't going pay the same price again for an OHC when I could get an Shield TV for almost the same money).

I don't like the limitation on Android Apps that I can install. I understand that they want to have people use ATV specific apps, but there are a few apps that would be extremely useful to have that I can't install on the ATV: a decent Web browser, some useful system tools and a few others that won't show up in the play store.

But picture quality-wise and ease of use are excellent on the ATV and it seriously is fast, the Kodi scroll text doesn't stutter at all on the ATV, while on the OHC it would stutter all over the place. Kodi seems to be much more responsive on the ATV as well.
01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi I now using Shield TV ... soon should be 3.0 FW kodi works will all HD audio.. yes there is less aplication in google play but it should be fixed in 3.0 or you should put in on usb and install normaly Smile other plus is using TV remote control HDMI CEC, i dont see any picture quality difference between OHC and Shield ... and buy 16G´B version 500GB is just wasting money ... you cant chanr drive and it is crap Big Grin
01-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Shield's video picture quality can't match Cloudmedia VTEN or 400 Series, Kodi is nice but I prefer a better movie picture over a better GUI.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
01-07-2016, 11:32 PM
noise36
I don't have much faith in cloud media devices and support after the openhour chemeleon, which was my 4th device over many years.

I would build a HTPC but I need something wife friendly with a remote, which a HTPC generally isn't.
01-08-2016, 07:44 AM
RE: SPMC or Kodi?
Boot from USB stick using openelec. Htpc will boot straight into kodi.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
01-08-2016, 09:13 AM
There are problems with all media players and also Kodi as well, if you want a perfect player it does not exist yet. If you want something wife friendly for low cost then the Gecko is pretty much turnkey and works with 3D, Hd passthrough etc. which the shield cannot do and has to rely on Kodi.

The Nvidia Shield still have many issues and has poorer picture quality than a Sigma based player. Kodi has very recently taken a stance against android aswell which must have Shield users worrying as it has no inbuilt media player and has no choice but to rely on third party software. If you buy it for media playing you must also be worried as its main purpose for Nvidia seems to be games.

HTPC's have not changed since they first came out. They still require constant tinkering and again if you use Kodi you'll always be tinkering with that in any case.

No one is going to say their decision was wrong unless they are very humble.Idea

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

01-08-2016, 10:32 AM
It really does depend on what you actually want a media player for. I have no interest in the Android OS, and mainly use a player for accessing my own network. For this, I have to suggest that the easiest thing I have yet found, after a KISS 1600 from Linksys, then A110, A200, A410, all from PCH/CM, and Matricom MX2s, is the Chromebox (HP in my case) running official Openelec. This auto updates when available, handles all frame rates and TrueHD and DTS-MA (essential for me) without a blip, and really never needs any attention from me. I actually have a dual boot system, so I can run Chrome OS, but don't need to, and am thinking about going single boot (but probably won't because it just works as is, auto-booting to Openelec). There is no visible difference in picture quality between the PCH and the Chromebox. Network access (gigabit) is a doddle, both from other PCs to the Chromebox, and from the Chromebox to other devices (it autoshares any attached USB drives at USB 3 speeds). It has built-in Bluetooth, so can be remote controlled from my Harmony Ultimate without any dongle required. After the initial setup, it's a truly fit and forget appliance. IF 4K becomes more mainstream, I'll think about changing it, but nothing else on the market seems as trouble free currently. I do keep looking at new devices as they appear, but for me, they now need to work at launch, with no "coming soon" provisos. The only problem I can see is that the price is now rather higher than when I bought it at £150.

The next generation media player, IMHO, would run Openelec Out Of Box, with full 4K capability, probably using Intel CPU/GPU. I can wait a few years.
01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I had a KISS 1500 from before the company was bought by Cisco also had a Pinnacle media center that got me focused on Syabas that became Cloudmedia.
I agree the Chromebox is a great box for running Kodi but I disagree it being equal in picture quality to a 400 series or a VTEN... and yes it is visible.Smile

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
01-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Kodi 16 - Android pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!!!

Dec 29th version
Yamaha RX-A1050
Nvidia Shield TV
DTS - works
DTS-MA - works
Dolby TrueHD - works
Dolby TrueHD/Atmos - works
Dolby Digital - works
Dolby Digital EX - works

where is problem ? Smile soon should be firmware (soon mean this month probably) with Android 6, HD audio will be handled in Kodi 17 officially

and I still hope for some fw update for OHC i can give this box to my parents ... Sad

why have Shield worst picture quality? Sigma based player make some picture post processing?
[+] 2 users say Thank You to locki for this post
01-09-2016, 01:55 AM
(01-08-2016 11:59 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  I had a KISS 1500 from before the company was bought by Cisco also had a Pinnacle media center that got me focused on Syabas that became Cloudmedia.
I agree the Chromebox is a great box for running Kodi but I disagree it being equal in picture quality to a 400 series or a VTEN... and yes it is visible.Smile

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the picture quality. You do need a line of code to make sure the Chromebox outputs the correct colour space, but this is fairly simple, and done once. Side by side, no one I've asked can accurately tell any difference on my 50" Panasonic plasma. (Calibrated.) There are occasions where the 410 will play some files the Chromebox won't, and there are occasions where the CB will play files the 410 won't. It's rare enough that I've never bothered to work out why. Anyway, the title of the thread is "What to buy instead of OHC?". My belief is that most people buying Android boxes really want them for Kodi.

I haven't given up on the A500 though. I await this with interest.
01-09-2016, 03:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 03:20 AM by chris57.)
On picture quality alone the Nvidia Shield has banding issues, chroma selection issues, black level issues, etc. none of which are exhibited on the same test material on the Sigma chip A400.

There's no 3D support and other points. Like I said nothing is perfect and no one is going to say that their grass is not greener. Anyway this is not the Shield forum and I'm not going to promote it on every post I make as im not that type of chap.

On the later post the A500 is really just the Vten with a separate Android OS and the dual core version of the chip. It's then souped up for the audiophile DAC market using highend internal power and DAC components along with outputs like XLS. You wont get Kodi running with Sigma chip acceleration which would be nirvana.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

01-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Who's talking about the Nvidia Shield? Certainly not me.

(01-09-2016 03:19 AM)chris57 Wrote:  On picture quality alone the Nvidia Shield has banding issues, chroma selection issues, black level issues, etc. none of which are exhibited on the same test material on the Sigma chip A400.

There's no 3D support and other points. Like I said nothing is perfect and no one is going to say that their grass is not greener. Anyway this is not the Shield forum and I'm not going to promote it on every post I make as im not that type of chap.