Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Thread Closed 
Openhour - please update your customers!
10-06-2015, 04:42 PM
RE: Openhour - please update your customers!
I have been a loyal customer of PH now Cloud Media for almost year years. I have had just about every player they've made except for the 400 series.

The A100 was the third player I bought. I had others, but this one showed promise and supported the MKV files and other hi-def files at the time. I have had Dune, eGreat and IO Box players and I come back to PH/CM because they seem to have better support over all.

I bought the C200 because of the DVD/BluRay support and was disappointed to find many BluRay discs would play. I then bought a Dune and I had the same problem. In fact I still have that problem despite all of the firmware updates so far.

Everyone of these types of devices have issues. And yes, they never seem to live up to hyper. As an experienced end user I tend to hope, but understand that everything may not be as advertised. So one has to settle, for now. Because I do believe in the end the kinks will be worked out. Will I get everything, probably not, but I will end up with something very useful.

I bought the Chameleon because the hardware specs are amazing. When I received the first box ( i now have three) it was unusable. However, with the last firmware update the box is a contender. It has everything I need for the moment. There are a few problems, but I suspect that CM and RockChip will get them ironed out.

I bought the Gecko because I was hoping for a better box. It is better, for an initial release, but still has way too many issues to be a real replacement. The Chameleon is farther along and a much better box based on the specs.

My point is that we need to wait and see where the additional firmware updates take us. Because, in my option, the Chameleon is the better product of the two devices and I like to design much better.

A100, A110, A200, A200, A210, C200, A300, VTEN, Chameleon, Gecko
Dune D1, Dune HD
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2015, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 12:06 PM by hder22.)
Well said. The chameleon is a very good media player.
Whoever is looking for perfection is looking for dissapointment.
10-08-2015, 01:26 AM
We are not looking for perfection - We just want something that works out the BOX. It's something the Chameleon does not deliver.
10-08-2015, 04:03 AM
SPMC can be installed easily. Do you mean 23,976 or HD audio? Why not use 60p and DTS?

What better is out there? Minix does not have 60p 4K. Nvidia Shield is expensive and needs work to use with IR controls. Your need to sideload software. NUC are either trouble or much more expensive. Out of the box experiences are very expensive with streaming boxes like Apple TV, roku, fire.

Amazon Instant Video works great on the Chameleon and Kodi is fast. I don't think it gets much better than this for the near future.
10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Thanks depressing
10-18-2015, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015 11:08 AM by alvoryx.)
(10-06-2015 02:17 PM)chris57 Wrote:  I'd go for the OHC personally as its faster the extra RAM is noticeable in the likes of Kodi, the Android settings are more feature rich, the box itself seems more open than the Gecko, however its not that great a difference and one is more expensive than the other. I'm also basing this on improvements that are upcoming for the OHC and that the Gecko is more locked down than the OHC which I expect due to price point.

As you can see opinions are exactly that Big Grin

Make sure that you also consider the Vten as you are coming from the NMT platform and this is Android not Linux based and no Sigma playback. There is something on the Hisilicon players called IMV or similar which is supposed to give good picture quality.

are you serious ? you recommend to someone to actually BUY the ohc based on some words -without any value- from cloud media ?

btw, mea culpa, some of my topics on this forum where inaccurate in the way that I failed representing with accuracy the exact context of my tests.

what is sure is that :

-for 99% of potential customers, the device is unusable (the other 1% is represented by Chris and Willem moderators of a forum linked in the box of the actual OHC... saying that, saying nothing ;-)))))).

-for those, like Willem, saying they warned this was still testing, that it's doing what is promissed : this is not true. this is only showing very very bad faith. what he is saying is that CM sold alpha devices for like 160euros and customers just have to be OK with that. hey Willem, you know what ? you should try to get hired by apple marketing teams :-) they are also very good in double talking. like selling you an hair dryer and still be able to seem convinced explaining you that the fact it's blowing only cold air is perfectly normal. you are not convincing anyone, but I guess you already know that :-)

-people are buying that device for what ? for watching videos. where do those videos come from ? from an original DVD/BR ? Common please...seriously...do I need to have a detail check of all my video files I download and reject like 70% of them because it's using some parameter incompatible with the current OHC firmware ? NO, it's not mentionned anywhere "100% compatible with any download video file on planet earth". But I'm afraid that's the way it's working with other same ranged price media player devices. Personnally, I wanted to stick with cloud media because I previously was overall satisfied with the products.

-the fact they are hidding behind rockchip is just ridiculous. I would just wait to see some commercial guy from them telling me the same bull**** face 2 face. I would have him eat my OH piece by piece starting with the alu cover. it's like I'm selling any hardware, it's not working, and I reject the fault on the manufacturer of one component. it's CM's job to put the ******* pression on rockchip. their incompetence is just hilarious.

after all this, you still recommend going with the openhour ? please be a little realistic.
[+] 3 users say Thank You to alvoryx for this post
10-18-2015, 01:48 PM
you don't have a clue when you talk percentage happy vs unhappy...

well informed users are generally happy, those that bought without reading up or understating the forum and the openhour website but bought based on assumptions and expectations are often not unhappy...

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
10-18-2015, 02:21 PM
my shield is on the way

i'm totaly bored to check on this fu*** forum each days during the last year looking for a new fw... the only one stable firmware is .10 (releade date 2014-12-31) .... Each Fw after this is a pure crap... the OHC cant be use in a home theather setup
[+] 2 users say Thank You to BulletTime for this post
10-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Patience is a virtue that is going to cost you a lot of money over time. Idea

I would have waited for two weeks.

I would never go for a Shield for a Home Theatre setup its more of a PS/Xbox comparison and you would not use one of those for home theatre. I would go for CM's premium brand the NMT. This OpenHour brand is for Kodi and live streaming rather than home theatre quality in any case IMO.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

10-21-2015, 11:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2015 11:07 PM by alvoryx.)
hey chris you know what ? to show my good faith and to apologize for some of the bullshit i wrote on this forum, if for the end of the year we get a firmware that renders my goddam toaster in something ....that i can actually use for something, I send you and to your acolyte Willem a pack of Belgian beers wherever you are on this goddamn planet.

would that be fair enough ?

but...is it going to happen ? honnestly, i would be happy to send you the beer but i doubt
[+] 3 users say Thank You to alvoryx for this post
10-22-2015, 08:39 AM
did you just insult me there?

Goodbye!

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
10-22-2015, 09:18 AM
(10-22-2015 08:39 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  did you just insult me there?

Goodbye!

hum... bad day today ?

You can read all my post in forum (networkedmediatank).
I never interfere or insult.

My English should be too poor but I'm reading and rereading where is the offense here ? Huh
In my language "acolyte" is absolutely not an insult. Confused

You are moderator. I will not argue with that, but honestly I do not understand at all your decision.
This guy just wanted to show some fair play by recognizing abuse. No ?

have a good day Cool
[+] 2 users say Thank You to ellega for this post
10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Willem don't like beer!

Smile
[+] 2 users say Thank You to szkzs for this post
10-22-2015, 11:29 AM
I do like beer and drink Belgium beer also as it one of the best brewing countries in the world..
But I never drink with negative intent..... sorry for my EnglishBig Grin

10-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I too fail to see the insult but, he probably done him a favor anyway. It certainly seems to be a waste of time checking back here to see if there's an update. An update which probably won't make this excuse for a streamer work any better anyhow. I'd just like to get mine working good enough to where I don't have to put a negative disclosure in my "for sale" ad.Tongue
[+] 1 user says Thank You to stevenc for this post
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Main board removal guide on Openhour support site? Rambler 10 5,799 11-27-2014 07:43 AM
Last Post: AmigaWolf
  Update Coming Soon? stevenc 24 11,399 11-21-2014 08:36 AM
Last Post: chris57