Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

best external HDD to use with OHP
09-09-2015, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 12:19 PM by philski69.)
best external HDD to use with OHP
Hi There,

What's the best external HDD that supports OHP?

I was looking at getting a Western Digital My Passport 3TB Ultra Portable 2.5" External USB 3.0 Hard Drive to play movies from via the USB port.

I look forward to all your thoughts
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
RE: best external HDD to use with OHP
I think it won't work as it takes its power from The USB 3.0 port even though it's USB 2.0 backwards compatible for data transfers I believe you would need a extra power source.... a USB external powered HUB might do the trick.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to Willem55 for this post
09-10-2015, 09:05 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 09:05 AM by Brain_Killer.)
it will work.... This disks are USB3.0 but compatible with USB 2.0. Its one of this disks that I use on OHC.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Brain_Killer for this post
12-04-2015, 11:18 AM
A few related questions: Is the OHC capable of reading NTFS formatted USB HDD's? Without any extra Software or modifications to startup scripts etc?

I've connected my NTFS formatted USB HDD to my OHC directly in the past, but couldn't find it in the filesystem (not under mnt at least). I've since hooked it up to my NAS and access it from the OHC through the NAS, so that isn't a problem in regular use, but I want to take the OHC with me on a Gaming Weekend and the need to be able to hook up the HDD (and possibly others) directly in order to enjoy offline content playback.
12-04-2015, 12:52 PM
(12-04-2015 11:18 AM)PJK Wrote:  A few related questions: Is the OHC capable of reading NTFS formatted USB HDD's? Without any extra Software or modifications to startup scripts etc?

I've connected my NTFS formatted USB HDD to my OHC directly in the past, but couldn't find it in the filesystem (not under mnt at least). I've since hooked it up to my NAS and access it from the OHC through the NAS, so that isn't a problem in regular use, but I want to take the OHC with me on a Gaming Weekend and the need to be able to hook up the HDD (and possibly others) directly in order to enjoy offline content playback.

I have had various issues with HDD support on OHC. I have a WD, a Toshiba and a
Samsung portable HDD and none of them work properly - they make clicking noises and often fail duing movie playback.

The solution I found was kind of weird - for some reason, when I use an old SATA to USB2 bridge, there are no issues with OHC, so I disassembled the portable disks and connect them to this SATA bridge.
12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
USB HD work if the have their own power supply.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
12-07-2015, 11:35 AM
(12-04-2015 03:15 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  USB HD work if the have their own power supply.

You guys weren't kidding. I tried a whole slew of USB based HDD's I own and there was only one that marginally worked just being fed from the USB port. I never had power issues with other systems so this tells me that the OHC isn't providing the amps required by the USB standard on it's USB ports.

I'll have to bring a powered hub or a powered HDD with me, which is a pain in the ass.
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
As weird as it may sound, all my portable 1Tb HDD had problems (Toshiba, Samsung, WD), but recently I bought a 1Tb Seagate external USB3 portable HDD, and it works just fine with OHC, no issues/no clicking - all this without the need for an external power supply.

It seems OHC is very picky on portable USB powered HDDs... I am glad I was able to make the Seagate work !
12-09-2015, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2015 09:22 AM by chris57.)
(12-07-2015 11:35 AM)PJK Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 03:15 PM)Willem55 Wrote:  USB HD work if the have their own power supply.

You guys weren't kidding. I tried a whole slew of USB based HDD's I own and there was only one that marginally worked just being fed from the USB port. I never had power issues with other systems so this tells me that the OHC isn't providing the amps required by the USB standard on it's USB ports.

I spent some time on this a while ago. USB3.0 has a max power of 0.9v whereas USB2.0 has 0.5v. So if the USB3.0 HDD draws more than 0.5v it needs external power.

If you search the forum you'll see the outp-ut from the USB ports and it is to spec. There an APP to install that measures this and proves it is to spec.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

12-09-2015, 12:59 PM
(12-09-2015 09:20 AM)chris57 Wrote:  
(12-07-2015 11:35 AM)PJK Wrote:  

I spent some time on this a while ago. USB3.0 has a max power of 0.9v whereas USB2.0 has 0.5v. So if the USB3.0 HDD draws more than 0.5v it needs external power.

If you search the forum you'll see the outp-ut from the USB ports and it is to spec. There an APP to install that measures this and proves it is to spec.

Well, I have to say I also spent some significant time investigating this, and even puchased a powered hub, and also tried a split USB cable that allowed external powering of the HDD - The thing is that 3 of my USB portable devices (portable 1Tb HDDs: Toshiba, WD, Samsung) did not work properly no matter what I did (I am convinced is not only power related). Luckly my new Seagate (USB3) 1Tb portable HDD device works without a glitch.
12-09-2015, 10:55 PM
There are also some particularities to Android that I found when researching. For example you need the Paragon APP to mount HFS+ and NTFS formatted HDD's and even then some APPS don't still like the locations. Found this also with my micoSD card in the OHC where one APP will find it and yet another wont.

It would be useful to start a thread with known working USB HDD's and other equipment. We'd need a format so that all the details are listed, something like.

Make:
Model:
Size:
USB Format:
External/Internal Power:
Filesystem/HDD OS:
Notes:

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)