Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

A-500PRO
08-25-2015, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 09:27 AM by chris57.)
A-500PRO
So a new kid on the block.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/156...nav_search

Apart from it being significantly more expensive, what I like is that you can use the default popcorn NMT as a default environment, while the bugs are worked out of the Andriod version.

Lets hope the Sigma people can do a better job of getting their chipset to work properly with Andriod. I notice it doesn't mention the version on Andriod.

Unfortunately for me, I have been burnt by the Chameleon and can't in good faith throw a lot of money at this.

I don't know if the NMT has moved forward a lot in the last few years.

edit: Its the A500PRO not the A500.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2015, 04:29 PM
RE: A-500
I feel similarly. I love the idea of the Chameleon, but am disappointed by its implementation. I wont be getting the a500. being an early adopter is too risky, especially for $US400
08-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Makes the chameleon look suspiciously like a prototype ????????
08-25-2015, 06:10 PM
AT this price point, it should have HDMI 2.0 (supporting 4K@60), but it does not seem to.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to afss for this post
08-26-2015, 06:23 AM
(08-25-2015 06:10 PM)afss Wrote:  AT this price point, it should have HDMI 2.0 (supporting 4K@60), but it does not seem to.
i think 4k@60p is the limitation of the sigma chip, but yes this does hold me back from buying a-500, no hdmi 2.0 then no HDR.
08-26-2015, 07:24 AM
600$ for a Mediaplayer is just Crazy.
And Second the Superbomb Support that CM have (as we see it here)Angry
08-26-2015, 08:15 AM
It will be another not quite working player like OHC.
08-26-2015, 09:53 AM
We will see.

I think they discovered that there is enough demand at the $399,- price so they can invest more resources in getting it right.
Say what you like about OHC but fact is that their Firmware has been copied to run on some other RK3288 players and all RK3288 players brands have the same issues inherited from the Software Development Kit from Rockchip and Google android.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
08-26-2015, 10:21 AM
(08-26-2015 08:15 AM)zark Wrote:  It will be another not quite working player like OHC.

I think the thing here, is that out of the box you will have NMJ, which is a better starting point. Not sure how it stacks up nowadays, but it will be a lot better. That way there is not the stress for the buyer, that the android features need to be ready on day one.

Saying that, I think the company will be a lot better prepared this time around for android, well I hope Sigma are.
08-26-2015, 05:34 PM
No way. CM will never see another one of my hard earned dollars. I did the last KS and bought the OH with the Stack Box. Neither works. I also have a A410 that hasn't received an update in over a year. That would be fine if it didn't have issues too.
08-27-2015, 08:53 AM
I see classic escape to forward. If can not make current player fully functional then drop it and release new model which rises new hopes for good working product.

I don't know who needs ESS SABRE³² Audio DAC with XLR analog output? This only rises price. Most users never use it but rather S/PDIF for connect to AMP. It's useful only for playback music on high end hardware. For home cinema it is too much advanced. I see that they concentrate on high end audio.

Video SoC is Sigma SMP8758, the same then in VTEN. If it works good without issues then OK, but is it any player using it and working on android? Maybe Sigma provides better support then Rockchip? Another question is about future cooperation CM and Rockchip? Is it end?

Project is interesting but as always software decides on final score. I will monitor firmware development for android and we will see if they make good working version before new model release and drop current. I hope they make good work!
08-27-2015, 09:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 09:36 AM by chris57.)
The OHC and the NMT are different brands/products aimed at different market sectors. It's also not entirely new to us as we've had discussions on a concept A400PRO which didn't materialise.

Rockchip players, you can read through the series, have not received support via SDK etc. to make them work as expected in Android etc. CM have done their best and indeed as Willem and I tell you their work has been picked up by the community and utilised on other RK3288 devices. Does not mean that it is the end of course for the OHC and its development.

It is not the A500, it is the A500PRO. Read the kickstarter link to get a better understanding of the product and the difference as its very important.

The A500Pro is a new device to the NMT brand and is aimed at those that are prepared to pay more for the best internal components and stereo audio output. It is not aimed at those that want to spend $150 on a player and use SPDIF. So if you are in the $150 market it obviously won't appeal. It won't appeal to many NMT owners for the same reason its aimed more at the audio listener prepared to pay more for better internal components.

The native player in Android will have better Picture Quality as its a Sigma chip with features like VXP etc. But I'm sure you knew about that having researched and decided to go with the OHC for Kodi and needing Android. Personally I don't see many A500Pro customers using Android much, certainly not for media playback, and with no bluetooth support being listed it'll not be used for games etc. The key is getting a working Kodi on Linux on it, debian is working on the NMT now. The issue, like on the RK3288, is the availability of drivers/SDK to make the Sigma hardware work in Kodi on Linux and thereby avoid the standard Kodi smooth look with mediacodec. They are out now in developers land for the RK3288, will they be for the Sigma chip??

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

08-27-2015, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 11:32 AM by zark.)
(08-26-2015 09:53 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  We will see.

Right.

(08-26-2015 09:53 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  I think they discovered that there is enough demand at the $399,- price so they can invest more resources in getting it right.

If they have it.

(08-26-2015 09:53 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  Say what you like about OHC ...

For me OHC work well. I use SPMC 14.2 + audio via S/PDIF. Only issue I see is too low smooth playback on some files. HW decoding is not so good for RK3288. Except this it is good piece of hardware.

(08-26-2015 09:53 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  .. and all RK3288 players brands have the same issues inherited from the Software Development Kit from Rockchip and Google android.

You are right. The most problem is Rockchip support. They have probably too small development team to cooperate with player manufacturers. OHC may be last player using SoC from Rockchip so firmware development for OHC is probably over.
08-27-2015, 11:32 AM
RE: A-500PRO
(08-27-2015 09:26 AM)chris57 Wrote:  Does not mean that it is the end of course for the OHC and its development.
I really hope so as we all, but if CM releases new android player my hope will die.
08-27-2015, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2015 06:55 PM by Daveydguk.)
RE: A-500PRO
I don't want to go to that shop again. Open all hours.

g-g-g-granville have you got that firmware ready yet ?

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Daveydguk for this post