Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Thread Closed 
General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
08-16-2015, 05:29 PM
RE: General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
I think they, like all other manufacturers, are chasing Rockchip and as that stagnates, there isn't much to do, product is stuck in limbo.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
Find all posts by this user
08-16-2015, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 07:50 PM by Daveydguk.)
Considering Rockchip for a long time have been on the commercial bull wagon in regards to Android lollipop and windows 10 running on thier chipset. Its time the hardware manufacturers took them to task. I guess Rockchip is more doomed than AMD... I for one will never buy Rockchip again, but I do support AMD as an alternative to Intel.

Rockchip can look forward to its execution of poor supported products leading to its execution as a business. In line with the execution of cloud media support.

As per the email I received from CM support when I requested them to be more pro active on this forum.

Don't forget to turn the lights off before you close the building down ;o)

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
08-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Hmmm.. I think that now they have Google and Microsoft as a customer they've moved to the dark sideBig Grin away from us freeloaders.Cool

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
08-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Looks like RockChip dropped RK3288 and moves all human resources to RK3368, latest 8-core 64bit SoC. Stop support for Koying and probably Cloud Media. I will be very surprised if we see new firmware. I wish to mistake but don't think so.
08-17-2015, 10:26 PM
looks like they doing that a little too much... first big snag they hit on the 3368 and history will repeat itself.
Might be a good Chip manufacturer but they are not that great in providing a good Software Development Kit for the unit.
just buying a license to burn chips from ARM sell those and the rest is over their heads.. someone elses problem.

09-20-2015, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 09:56 AM by alvoryx.)
Hi there

Back after a few weeks... I think that time was necessary because the discussion was not going anywhere constructive, one side yelling its a piece of shit and the other one saying you don't use it for what it's meant for.

That's not in the interest of anyone ...at least not in mine ;-)

OK like I said in the first post on this thread, what is the optimal setup/combination of settings/software so that I'm able to :

-read files from an NFS source (since i'm using a qnap as the source, let's just drop and forget samba)

-the open hour is connected with s/pdif directly to my amp. Files are mostly standard stereo, some may be ac3 or dts

-files are sd for the most, and HD for a few (4gb max). Origin of the files is... anywhere in the net Wink. So the encoding might be various. But each file is readable.

-the screen setup is 1080p in 60hz

-for the moment, no matter what I tried, I never achieved playing one single file without random stuttering at a few times while the file is playing. That means 95% it plays well, but there are always stutterings at one point.

- I am 110% sure of the network setup (its part of my job, got the ccna, it should be sufficient Tongue).I'm able to reproduce those stutterings on the openhour, start from scratch in the exact same setup with my A110 and it plays 100% with no stutters.

I think those expactations should met the scope of the openhour design, it does not sound exotic like the other guys trying 3d audio or HD Netflix on 24Hz.... The only thing I see regarding non-standard Android expactations is the fact I use s/pdif .. But they provide a s/pdif port (one of main reasons I bought the device), so I guess it's to use it...

Thanks for the recap, i'm just really trying to get this to work...
09-20-2015, 10:56 AM
The type of "random" stuttering is often a temporary lack of bandwidth or system resource.
The trick is to find out which type it is and what is the temporary cause.
your network architecture might be perfect but still that doesn't rule out a service or application on your network doing some heavy scanning of the drive you're streaming from at the same time.
Same goes for for the playback device and other processes running on it during playback.
The many flavors of SMB certainly doesn't help
Often it also a RIP issue where the device has a quality issue with the stream or a hard time keeping audio and video in sync or general timing issues.
And then we have less occurring causes like heat, memory leaks, cache memory failure, HDMI handshake failure, ect.

My rule is that if not all users suffer the same issue, it must be something in my own environment.
we all do 1080p and the basic audio.

All assuming we a not discussing the 23,976 fps.

09-20-2015, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2015 01:27 PM by alvoryx.)
Willem, with all respect, are you actually here for politics or rather for the technical aspect ? Judging from the fact u reply on Sunday, I would go to option 2.

Still, I don't understand why you constantly fly around the real point?

I have over 10 years experience into building it infrastructures, and I'm playing with tech since I can remember. When I say that I tested everything, it literally means everything possible that I could find around.

It is not linked in any way to the source. The problem is the same if the files are streamed from an USB drive.

I told you, I am able to read the files from NFS with my popcorn a110 it works in all cases, 100% of the tries. Which means the only thing that changes is the open hour.

It's not like I had only 5% of files stuttering. All are at one point. All those are playing on the a110, on my Asus Android tablet, on my pc's and on my laptop's.

Those stutters are even reproducible if I go backwards and resume. When I say random, it means random per file. But one file always stutters at the same point. I can go backwards then resume >> stutter. backwards then resume >> stutter

The same moment on any other device is NOT stuttering.

I mean what do you want other than that ? A 40h proof video from me filming the whole stuff ?

It's something in the openhour that cause those stutterings not anywhere else.

With answers like u do now, what do you expect other than closed discussions? I am just asking some kind of best practices sheet including all details of all settings in order to be, on my side, also 100% sure I did everything like I should in the openhour config.

I just can't resign to the fact that this device is unable to read a video file without lagging.

For you it seems to work. So, appart from the s/pdif you're maybe not using, I just want to know what i do wrong, where is my issue. Because obviously I am doing something wrong.

That is, it has to be somewhere in the openhour config. I tried so many different things, started from scratch so many times, that it is just hard for me to believe I missed something. But still, isn't there some white paper stating from A to Z each single step you do to finish the configuration ?

I send you per pm a link to download a movie. I hope you'll like the choice but let's download it and I will tell you exactly when I have the stutters.
09-20-2015, 02:05 PM
It's always annoying to see users fly of the handle without them really reading my post but assuming whatever...

re read the last line in my post........ And then you send me a link to a 23,976 fps file....

Know issue Thread closed...

Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good Music App heydude1 6 3,199 05-13-2015 12:46 PM
Last Post: dave.t