Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Thread Closed 
General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
08-11-2015, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 11:19 PM by alvoryx.)
RE: General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
no. my issue is not regarding audio but video. the video is stuttering/lagging

i can make you a file encoded with anything with the extention you want, that's my simple point, you where talking about containers, not about codecs. pseudo-standards are anyways not always respected. plus, it should play mpeg and mp3 no matter what.

everything trough hdmi, no optical out or anything ? I mean I will try that but without my optical output it makes the whole setup pointless..that would mean I have to use tv speakers...
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Its a test, thats all as I explained. Obviously you want to use passthrough but as I keep saying passthrough is not working for everyone and therefore take it out of the equation when testing. Use the original SD card as your test setup.

However now it seems that you are referring to video stutter. This is a known issue, its in the release notes.

Not sure what you mean about pseudo standards or the fact that you think that any codec put in any container should work. Obviously this is not the case and never has been, the adage 'garbage in garbage out' applies more than ever to hardware decoding than using say a PC with software. Using your OHC as a PC by using Kodi with its software decoding ability means more play than on say the NMT but you'll never get support for any codec in any container. I talked about both containers and codecs (AVC/AAC/AVC/AC3/etc.)

I'm trying to hold a reasonable discussion but its getting hard when you jump around. I can play mpeg with mp3 for example. You state 'mpeg and mp3 should play' they do, so your generalisation is incorrect. I'm not sure what you are doing or whether you want to discuss things or just vent now?

Do you remember this thread I made for AVI playback for the 100 series:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...p?tid=9399
Not all AVI files worked on the 100 as its uses hardware decoders not software, where more play. It's an easy way to rework AVI files. Obviously the 100 released in 2007 when AVI was the only SD option and in vogue, now its the less popular of the two SD formats.

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

08-13-2015, 09:45 PM
My Beelink r89 rk3288 been running on Wassers lollipop 5.1 for the last 2 months,led to believe pch/cm were the masters of the universe regarding media players, apparently not?
[+] 1 user says Thank You to btezB for this post
08-14-2015, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 04:24 PM by chris57.)
(08-13-2015 09:45 PM)btezB Wrote:  My Beelink r89 rk3288 been running on Wassers lollipop 5.1 for the last 2 months,led to believe pch/cm were the masters of the universe regarding media players, apparently not?

Don't know why you would think CM would be experts about Android players as the OHC is their first foray into Android and Rockchip.

Beelink have been releasing Android players for far longer so any reasonable person would think that Beelink would have the advantage.Idea

Run the OHC kernel on your Beelink like the experts do to get even more from it.

08-14-2015, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 05:31 PM by btezB.)
(08-14-2015 04:11 PM)chris57 Wrote:  
(08-13-2015 09:45 PM)btezB Wrote:  My Beelink r89 rk3288 been running on Wassers lollipop 5.1 for the last 2 months,led to believe pch/cm were the masters of the universe regarding media players, apparently not?

Don't know why you would think CM would be experts about Android players as the OHC is their first foray into Android and Rockchip.

Beelink have been releasing Android players for far longer so any reasonable person would think that Beelink would have the advantage.Idea

Run the OHC kernel on your Beelink like the experts do to get even more from it.
The expert on the beelink r89 is wasser,keep on spinning chris we dont expect anything else.p.s. next time your on freatab check out how many experts are working on the chameleon
08-15-2015, 03:27 AM
(08-14-2015 05:17 PM)btezB Wrote:  

The expert on the beelink r89 is wasser,keep on spinning chris we dont expect anything else.p.s. next time your on freatab check out how many experts are working on the chameleon

No spin whatsoever in my post. All I do is correct incorrect statements that you make, stop making them and it'll save us all time.Idea

08-15-2015, 09:20 AM
(08-15-2015 03:27 AM)chris57 Wrote:  
(08-14-2015 05:17 PM)btezB Wrote:  

No spin whatsoever in my post. All I do is correct incorrect statements that you make, stop making them and it'll save us all time.Idea

For the record,it seems the experts(hisound) has ditched the ohc kernel for a ugoos ut3 based rom. oh dear!
08-15-2015, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2015 12:35 PM by chris57.)
How exciting for you that you may have found one Android developer whom tests and changes ROM's. Says it all, you just don't understand at all the difference between a ROM and a kernel and you don't expect community android developers to change ROMs' let alone kernel. Rolleyes

Who said that 'experts' means anyone particular person? Go and read threads from the likes of no_spam_for_me and many others, don't just go looking for one person to try and justify your hate campaign. Why don't you ask them what are their reasons why they choose to use that kernel or not?

Wasser is a very talented community developer who has virtually taken over firmware development for Beelink. So we are all ready for you to do the same here and become the equivalent of Wasser for the OHC, however something makes me think that you spend your time looking for petty point scoring rather than trying to become part of a community that would try to help one another, plus you obviously don't have the skills required. Or would you rather just whine and make up stories to try and suit your inaccurate and pettiness as you seem to think that you know it all to do the same here instead of trying to score stupid little points. Why don't you get a Wasser ROM for the OHC and then you can see exactly what rubbish you are talking about.

By the way I see that as Willem and I have pointed out many times that all RK3288 devices suffer the same issues, Beelink included as everyone can read over at Freaktab. So you now have two RK3288 devices suffering the same Rockchip issues. One running Lollipop which until it settles introduces more issues than KK:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...r89/page15
Anyone open minded enough will see that although there is great development from Wasser owner still suffer passthough issues, stuttering, etc. as we do. Funny how those whom have made a purchase always come back saying how right they were when its plain to see that the grass most certainly is not greener.

08-15-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm going with scam. Had mine since basically day one and it's been nothing more than a paperweight. Every time a firmware has been released I get it back out, update it, find that it's still not working and then put it back up. I'm waiting on Lollipop and if that doesn't get it to be a functional media streamer I will finally give up. For the record my main goal is to use the OHC with Plex.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to stevenc for this post
08-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Your perogative. Personally I would use Kodi though as otherwise there are far better platforms for Plex and if transcoding aswell you'll need decent power,,, perhaps even i5 or late i3 Intel if transcoding rather than just serving, however look out for the problems with Intel and media playback.

08-15-2015, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 02:41 AM by chris57.)
(08-15-2015 11:50 AM)chris57 Wrote:  How exciting for you that you may have found one Android developer whom tests and changes ROM's. Says it all, you just don't understand at all the difference between a ROM and a kernel and you don't expect community android developers to change ROMs' let alone kernel. Rolleyes

Who said that 'experts' means anyone particular person? Go and read threads from the likes of no_spam_for_me and many others, don't just go looking for one person to try and justify your hate campaign. Why don't you ask them what are their reasons why they choose to use that kernel or not?

Wasser is a very talented community developer who has virtually taken over firmware development for Beelink. So we are all ready for you to do the same here and become the equivalent of Wasser for the OHC, however something makes me think that you spend your time looking for petty point scoring rather than trying to become part of a community that would try to help one another, plus you obviously don't have the skills required. Or would you rather just whine and make up stories to try and suit your inaccurate and pettiness as you seem to think that you know it all to do the same here instead of trying to score stupid little points. Why don't you get a Wasser ROM for the OHC and then you can see exactly what rubbish you are talking about.

By the way I see that as Willem and I have pointed out many times that all RK3288 devices suffer the same issues, Beelink included as everyone can read over at Freaktab. So you now have two RK3288 devices suffering the same Rockchip issues. One running Lollipop which until it settles introduces more issues than KK:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...r89/page15
Anyone open minded enough will see that although there is great development from Wasser owner still suffer passthough issues, stuttering, etc. as we do. Funny how those whom have made a purchase always come back saying how right they were when its plain to see that the grass most certainly is not greener.
Call me all the names you like chrisB your the fanboy
08-16-2015, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 01:34 PM by chris57.)
I'm going to rise above the name calling and try to once again explain the point. Let's call it an olive branch. I'm hoping that you are worth the time as your oneline insult was churlish. I've also edited your post as for some reason it had replicated.

I'm not calling you names at all, I am calling you out on the statements that showed a lack of understanding and therefore the value of those statements we're little to none, at best let's say you made statements which show there are some misconceptions,perhaps lack of research lets say. I'm not trying to be a smart arse but here's what the difference is between a kernel and the ROM:
http://androidforums.com/threads/what-is...ot.581709/
So when you say that someone has abandoned a kernel by moving to a ROM, that usually does not happen unless that kernel is incompatible with the ROM the two are not mutually inclusive. In fact unless really involved in testing most will change ROM's but keep the kernel they prefer. The fact that I mention that many experts, whose knowledge astounds me, choose to use the OHC kernel, should show you that the kernel at least seem to have a good rep amongst those whom have the skillset to know. Also kernels for one version of Android will not usually work on the next, so if moving from KK to Lollipop you'd have no alternate other than to move kernels until a new OHC lollipop kernel arrives. If you read the article above you'll see that the kernel is not necessarily OS specific and so perhaps your statement re 'kings of media players' although totally over inflated the kernel would be an area where you would expect some previous knowledge to come into play. Which may be why out of all RK3288 boxes many over at Freaktak use it on their development boxes. They seem to have multiple setups provided by the manufacturers, it seems that they churn out new products and then expect the Freaktab guys to fix them up at times.

The ROM side of things is a disappointment and I'm not being facetious when suggesting running a Wasser Lollipop ROM on the OHC, obviously things like wifi wont work as the wifi setup on the boxes differ, but as you can read in the Beelink thread there's still many issues that are all too familiar to us with our OHC's, plus some new ones to lollipop like ethernet connection issues, wifi etc, but they are getting knocked of with new releases. Had OHC gone with a Lollipop release at the first stage as Wasser, and looking at the thread of changes/fixes required just to get early versions as usable as KK of that release, is not there yet but its getting usable, what would have been the outcry from the peanut gallery?
Had CM released that for the OHC I wonder which camp owners would have fallen into. The 'hell we've been patiently waiting for lollipop and its damn worse than KK'. or the 'great to have it now lets get into the internal workings and get it improved'. We don't have the advanced community expertise here having being new to android we dont have a lot of community support or even say a section for the brand at Freaktab as there's no history for CM n this android market sector. Making the forum more positive and a place to visit rather than to fight would help?
CM are not coming from many previous releases with all sorts of claims from $50 USB sticks or earlier RK/MTK boxes. As we also keep saying early Android was and to some extent is just not AV friendly for those that require more than standard listening, premium with HD audio,3D full, etc. You need established OS and products and even then with Dolby its getting harder to get supported formats.

So I hope that explains why I can get annoyed and have to correct statements, its not because I am blind to the issues with this player. I have many media players from many differing companies. Hell the players are damn obvious and having only very recently got mine into an acceptable working player due to my minimal requirements (downmix stereo only via new Kodi install) I'm can emphasise with the frustration and anger that leads to threads like this but as its now my daily player and the Mrs finds it acceptable its getting there. The 'dddisco' or audio gaps finally went but only recently so I've suffered for a long time as well. I mention it to give hope that things may be moving in the right direction with one type of setup fixed for media playback.

I've supplied files and posted links to them at Freaktab for the guys there to test. Also sent them to CM of course. I've also researched re SD/USB caching and whether that cam introduce stutter, I'm constantly looking for new better ways to try and make things better for all rather than having to spend time going round and round with the same faces on the same points.

We're all disappointed at the lack communication from OHC/CM on Lollipop given their own forum news etc. I've always said its about managing expectations, if you explain what is happening and why generally people are not unreasonable. Keep them in the dark and the frustration begins to boil and the rumours and venting can get out of hand, as per this threads ridiculous title, when obviously we have players (so no scam in not getting your device) and for downmix I have it working now.

08-16-2015, 03:48 AM
I come to this Forum weekly hoping for a miracle while I use my trusty WD Live TV until something great (that works) hits the market.

PS Admins, a little objectivity would not go amiss.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Blackhalo for this post
08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
How about this for objectivity.

Any android mediaplayers is inferior to a Oppo, Dune or Popcornhour when it comes to HD video and audio playback. (one of the first statements the moderators made on this forum)
The only android players that come close are hacked open systems not maintained by the manufacturer, Openhour with ROM on SD is a open system but has received no attention from the likes of Wasser or others, which is to bad.

So what is it good for..... doing Android on your big screen a lot faster than what you get on sticks or inside the big screen as an android it does media playback on the level of all official android systems.... is that good enough? for some maybe but if you're looking for high end no it's not good enough... better get a good NUC and put Kodi on it.... or an Oppo, Dune or Popcornhour.

As to the term Scam: there needs to be the intention of getting your money and not giving you the right device.... I don't think that was the intention at all at Openhour or for that matter all the many manufacturers that work with Rockchip.

Have they failed?
Yes if they claimed it would do all that the Oppo, Dune or Popcornhour and all the extra that comes with Android... It's for you to decide if that was the case or if it was your assumption.
The good thing with this forum is that from day one it has made clear that the product was not finished or in good working order, buying it without first reading the forum and then start complaining on the same forum doesn't make you look to smart. Calling mods unobjective fanboys crosses the line for me and will get you banned.
Sure this is all frustrating, but users like Chris57 who just plug the OHC straight into the TV that does just PCM and Dolby D are happy with minor issues that are fixable or have a workaround.

Yes it's all about levels of expectation that are in need of a little objectivity.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
08-16-2015, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2015 03:19 PM by Daveydguk.)
Hi Will. I pray for the day that Cloud Media has objectivity towards its customers and connect to its customer base who reside on this forum.

Instead of this uncertainty that gives the impression they've dropped the product. It breeds bad feeling which is what your experiencing now.

Y'know, I think, I think that a week from now, you'll be less in the mood for being amusing.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Daveydguk for this post
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good Music App heydude1 6 3,200 05-13-2015 12:46 PM
Last Post: dave.t