Firmware: Chameleon (1.0.41) Firmware [18 APR 2016] | Gecko (20151106) Firmware [13 NOV 2015]

Thread Closed 
General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
08-04-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 01:49 PM by alvoryx.)
Photo General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
Hi OpenHour Forum,

Now it has been a few months since I got my hands on the OpenHour.

One though I'm still having : is this device actually meant to be used as a movie playing box ?

I tried any tricks I could find out there (SPMC, VLC, MX Player, ...) but the fact is that I *almost* NEVER achieved to get this thing run a 700Mb movie smoothly from the beginning till the end.

Not even speaking about HD sound or 4/8/32Gb HD movies, almost any 700Mb movie I threw in was getting, at one point, sluggish and unwatchable.

Even worse : most of those files that are failing on the openhour are perfectly reading on my 8 year old popcorn a-110 in the exact same connectivity conditions (SMB server) Huh

Most people are buying this device in order to read video files. So, the question is : how is it possible to read video files with it ? Please, someone explain me how on 20 different ~700Mb video files accessed trough SMB or USB, not 1 is working correctly ?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, I'm not able to believe I got scammed at that level.

So, what i want :

-reading from an SMB source (a perfectly working 1Gbit network is in place)
-most small, 700Mb DVDrip files, MAX size is 2Gb.
-stereo or, in some cases, ac3 sound (optical output going to my amp)

Is that possible ? How ?
wow this forum is really overcrowded... you may consider migrating to bigger servers/wan lines seriously ...

Dodgy

One test I did yesterday evening (and not before) was loading the custom rom found on this forum.

I had to set the option "adjust display refresh rate to match video" to OFF instead to "On start/stop" (at that time, with the setting on "OFF", the video runs at 1080p@60Hz)

Then, with that exact setup, all other options untouched, suddenly my 700Mb file I use for my test's and which was always sluggish in all other tests with the OHC suddenly works. Still, while the movie was running, at 3 or 4 times for 2-3 seconds, there was a small cut (with pixelisation between) like if it had some buffering issue.

So, not even then the device is capable of reading a simple divx with stereo sound

Anyways all this bullshit (sorry but let's call a cat a cat) is just freaking me out !! This doesn't make any sense, i browsed to all other options in that custom rom they just are identical to those I was using in the stock setup (last official rom + SMPC version 15, nothing else).

Plus, most important like I'm saying : nothing, anything exotic !!!! I just want to be able, FROM STOCK to read a goddamn dvdrip movie ! Even embedded players in most recent TV's can do that ...wtf seriously ?

This is an unfinished alpha product ! It is really a SHAME to sell something like that, customers should regroup take a lawyer and bring this to justice ! It's just totally unusable and useless, a total scam !
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users say Thank You to alvoryx for this post
08-06-2015, 06:51 AM
RE: General enquiry : what is the openhour actually good for ? Scam ?
Ramblings, why are you posting your custom rom feedback in the General Section? Moved into Video section as that is all you seem to have bought the player for which is not the market its aimed at in reality. It's aimed at the Android mini-pc market and those whom demand Kodi.

Just watched TV all weekend on it. Using Kodi15 open release and stereo downmix direct to my TV using HDMI. Also using the addons to stream content.

Stop downloading crap divx 700Mb-2GB AVI files.Idea The scene has moved on to mp4 for SD and MKV for HD. Both play on my OHC, every AVI has also played.

Comparing a A100 with the OHC is like comparing Apples with Oranges. The same issues that we as owners had during the development of the A100 with Sigma exist with Rockchip. Chip manufacturers need to step up and start serving their ultimate customers not themselves by realising new chips every month.

Android vs the A100 embedded linux is not a winnable position for Android presently. Android today for media playback is no where near linux or even windows.

Did you do any research? If all you wanted was media playback and you were happy with the NMT why did you not stick with that? Why go with an Android player?

OHC > HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using standard Kodi(MC) 15.2 no hware/acc OK
Downmix stereo 1.0.40/RK Kodi(RKlib) 15.2 infrequent audio gaps hware/acc OK

No DTS downmix available for inbuilt eMC player

Gecko> HDMI > TV (Panasonic 42G20)
Downmix stereo using Gecko Kodi 15.0 OK
Downmix using inbuilt MediaCentre OK

08-11-2015, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 07:26 AM by alvoryx.)
it's not a custom rom feedback at all, it was supposed to show I'm actually trying to get things to work.

as much you may be involved in this community, I think you are wrong pretending that the openhour doesn't aim the market of people wanting to read small sd, sometimes hd video files and all this with absolute not searching doing anything "exotic"

knowing that it is supposed to play 4K, "what can do the more can do the less".

I was searching a refresh of my a-110 because it BEGAN -a few months back- to have issues with SOME files. Also because i actually like the idea of the android platform and because i tried kodi on a raspb2, liked the inteface but bigger perf issues.

I mean the openhour comes from a company doing video players no ? and you are saying it's not supposed to be able to play <4Gb files that are PERFECTLY playing everywhere else ?

Who is playing a game here ? you're not straight man
[+] 1 user says Thank You to alvoryx for this post
08-11-2015, 11:55 AM
It's simple it's an android player and it works like any other android player that came on the market 6 months or more ago..
It's not a popcornhour... and now you're disappointed.
Your should have bought a A410 or a VTEN.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
08-11-2015, 12:30 PM
(08-11-2015 11:55 AM)Willem55 Wrote:  It's simple it's an android player and it works like any other android player that came on the market 6 months or more ago..

You telling us that many times and we all know that we are able to load all the Android content on the box.
But instead of supplying a Joystick with box and a Need4Speed or Assasins Creed or a keyboard+Softmaker Office Logo there is a XBMC logo on the box - an that suggested the main target for that box.

It looks like in the time the manufacturer selling his Alpha versions of the box his will was to create a multimedia box. And than, after failing to delifer something useful he tell as - its for loading games, browsing in the internet and so on and the XBMC on front of the box was only an example for that you can all load (and maybe run more worse or better) to the box.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to tosh123 for this post
08-11-2015, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 05:19 PM by Willem55.)
android content?
I'm not talking about games and apps, I'm talking about the fact it does media like any other android player... the HD audio passthrough was indeed a valid expectation but never expected to work from day one and out of the box... it now works but just in the native media player and not in the android store apps like Kodi.

confusing this player with a oppo, dune or popcornhour is a big mistake that the mods on this forum always warned against.

Some focus on problems and faults others on solutions and success... no question who is the happy one.

Chameleon 16GB SD 32GB micro SD <-->HDMIv1.3<-->Onkyo TX-NR1010<-->HDMIv1.3<-->Panasonic TX-P46S10 + 6 Bowers & Wilkins speakers.
10 NTFS 2TB USB drives on 3 hubs attached to a A400, 2 Seagate blackarmour NAS 3TB, 2 Seagate Central NAS 4TB.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Willem55 for this post
08-11-2015, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 08:13 PM by alvoryx.)
there's a french expression saying "to turn around the pot" and "playing on words"

that's exactly what you are doing.

what player i have to use, kodi, spmc or whatever is the LAST thing i care about.

that was the point of the thread : HOW is it possible to read a 700mb .avi file playing everywhere else -in other words the issue is NOT linked to the container or the encoding- smothly on the OH ?

how ? that's the only thing I want to know. how

now if the conclusion of most of this non-sense conversation is that the open hour is NOT able to read a 700mb .avi file playing everywhere else, the only thing I can say is that it is a scam. the company building this device would, in that case, make false advertisement which is punishable by law.

since you seems to be a smart boy (or girl? xD nvm), I let you do a google image search on "open hour box". now tell me if your impression is not that this is a freaking video player ? Jesus it says "xbmc" and "4K" !!!! how would that device not be able to read a fucking 700Mb file ?

btw, I loved when Chris told me what type of file i should use and what the "scene" is using Big Grin (also +1 to that l33t way of expressing) Just loved that ! >> man I prolly was ripping dvds when you didn't even hear about it...thanks for the tip though, you couldn't know

even worse, I opened a ticket on "support cloudmedia com", those guys are asking me if I put the refresh rate on 60Hz and if I disabled all auto refresh rate sync features and blablabla ... <_< seriously man I just told you i fucking spend between 50 and 100 fucking hours on the issue. what is this all about ? Dodgy is the next question if the power cord is correctly plugged in ?

ANYWAYS...BUT people like you and chris that are defending the whole shit is something I'm paining to understand. It's not fair from an intellectual point of view : there's absolutely nothing to defend. Judging from all those hours, for something that should work out of the box (or with minimal effort), this product is alpha or pre-alpha. it's a scam, period.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to alvoryx for this post
08-11-2015, 08:33 PM
(08-11-2015 07:28 PM)alvoryx Wrote:  there's a french expression saying "to turn around the pot" and "playing on words"

that's exactly what you are doing.

what player i have to use, kodi, spmc or whatever is the LAST thing i care about.

that was the point of the thread : HOW is it possible to read a 700mb .avi file playing everywhere else -in other words the issue is NOT linked to the container or the encoding- smothly on the OH ?

how ? that's the only thing I want to know. how

now if the conclusion of most of this non-sense conversation is that the open hour is NOT able to read a 700mb .avi file playing everywhere else, the only thing I can say is that it is a scam. the company building this device would, in that case, make false advertisement which is punishable by law.

since you seems to be a smart boy (or girl? xD nvm), I let you do a google image search on "open hour box". now tell me if your impression is not that this is a freaking video player ? Jesus it says "xbmc" and "4K" !!!! how would that device not be able to read a fucking 700Mb file ?

btw, I loved when Chris told me what type of file i should use and what the "scene" is using Big Grin (also +1 to that l33t way of expressing) Just loved that ! >> man I prolly was ripping dvds when you didn't even hear about it...thanks for the tip though, you couldn't know

even worse, I opened a ticket on "support cloudmedia com", those guys are asking me if I put the refresh rate on 60Hz and if I disabled all auto refresh rate sync features and blablabla ... <_< seriously man I just told you i fucking spend between 50 and 100 fucking hours on the issue. what is this all about ? Dodgy is the next question if the power cord is correctly plugged in ?

ANYWAYS...BUT people like you and chris that are defending the whole shit is something I'm paining to understand. It's not fair from an intellectual point of view : there's absolutely nothing to defend. Judging from all those hours, for something that should work out of the box (or with minimal effort), this product is alpha or pre-alpha. it's a scam, period.

Just about sums it up brother!
08-11-2015, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 09:13 PM by chris57.)
Loving mine, it's received WAF over the weekend now.Smile

Not going to get drawn into personal insults, if your birth date is correct I have many years on you, so here's an English phrase for you 'Don't try to teach your grandmother how to suck eggs'. Stop the swearing it's makes you look foolish if you cannot make a point without using foul language. Read the rules please.

08-11-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 10:50 PM by alvoryx.)
that was just a rethoric reflection don't take it like an insult. but i'm afraid that the answers you are giving are just pushing that kind of reflections. "mp4 for SD and MKV for HD" that doesn't mean anything. i hope you know it ? mp4 or mkv is just the container, it's the codec and the encoding settings that matters.

anyways i'm not in a flaming logic or anything, i just want to understand how in 2015, i bought a video player from a video player making company, android box if you prefer, that is not normally reading videos.

and, furthermore, how that company is charging me 160€ for that and how admins on the official -desertic- forum are saying "it's normal" ?

reaching the darwin point in that schema is kind of normal don't you think ?

or tell me how i'm supposed to read a divx with that device Smile you tell me please, again that's the point of the thread. I tried everything, it never worked well 1 single time.

if you where able to read a file, no matter what, with NO stutter effects of any kind, in a simple sd/stereo configuration, i would like you to show me Smile you give me a download link and i'll post you a video of the moment it lags on my OH.

sorry for the bad english i'm native german/french speaking
08-11-2015, 10:28 PM
How would anyone know why your 700MB .avi won't play when it does in other players... and you're getting me to a point where I could not care less.
Did you try and play it on another android device?

08-11-2015, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 10:36 PM by alvoryx.)
not one file all files. any file I tried till now. not one played with no glitche. you think i'm making this scandal for 1 freaking file ? please...

yes on a tablet running android 4 from internal storage. everything is perfectly playing on vlc.
08-11-2015, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 10:58 PM by chris57.)
Right lets find one 700Mb AVI file that we can all download and report on what it contains and whether it will play in Native Player, Kodi, SPMC etc.

I'll go with any TV cap from the next day releases or any new film from a decent release crew that's not anime.

Does it not play using VLC on the OHC?

Try using my setup, direct HDMI to TV rom on original SD card, with fresh install of Kodi15. It's only since I did this that all audio issues when using downmix disappeared. I've seen a poster say that using the original card stopped stutter, as its a slower card than what we then buy I wonder if there's an overfill of the cache causing problems. If the device is doing anything else that causes a a problem as well for some playback. So test with no other updates, transfers, or apps working.
I say that knowing that you want passthrough but I also want to prove to you that for those of us using downmix its working quite well, yes there's stutter issues and lollipop etc. to come but it is usable as a daily player finally. It certainly wasn't when the audio issues were there and as they still are for passthrough I do get how annoying and frustrating it is presently.

With regards the scene thing, I would have expected you to realise that mp4 for SD was simply the container obviously, I would also have assumed that by implication you would realise that within that container it is AVC video with AAC audio now. AVI SD with xvids mpeg4 video and mp3 or ac3 audio is on its way out. I'll explain the MKV for HD aswell, its AVC video with AC3 audio usually but if its a web rip it'll be AAC audio. Thankfully its because TV manufacturers are now allowing MKV and MP4 on their devices and SD mp4 is thought to be better for the size than AVI..

08-11-2015, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 10:54 PM by alvoryx.)
with VLC i only tried maybe 2 or 3 different files because of the non smb/nfs connectivity and yes on ~90mins it stuttered 4-5 times for 2-5 seconds.
08-11-2015, 11:13 PM
I thought none of the files played without an audio issue when using passthrough. Is that what you are saying.

If so then that's the main problem for those using passthorugh, for some using passthrough it works but for the majority it does not.

Try using a direct to TV only connection and Kodi15 with same settings as I have on the original card, it'll prove to you that it can do it at least.

I had mine rigged up with some super fast 64Gb sd card and it never ran well. Then I read that someone had a 32Gb card and switched back and all was good. I researched over at Freaktab and saw that USB/SD caching can be an issue on Android, it just does not play well but there is a kernel update to fix it which I've highlighted. Many of the super gurus at Freaktab use our OHC kernel in their test rigs and there's a thread where they are searching for test files for stutter. Remember though that's video not audio stutter.

Before trying anything though I'll happily play a file that causes you audio glitches on my downmix setup to see if it can handle it. Also I'll run the file through a few apps to see if there's any difference. Native Player is useless for us downmix users as it has zero decoding ability so we have to use software like Kodi/SPMC/MXPlayer to get any audio.

Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good Music App heydude1 6 3,202 05-13-2015 12:46 PM